Bontrager WaveCel

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Just read about it myself @Scotty T. I agree, the tech seems legit. If they're advertising them on the Trek AU website they must comply with AS/NZS 2063. Not cheap, but if it's a step change in protection as they claim I'd be prepared to pay a bit more and consider them for the kids too.

Cars have been designed with crumple zones to absorb impact energy for decades, so it's not a novel concept, just a new application. Free crash replacement in the first year is a pretty good deal too. There's no mention of whether the WaveCel mesh springs back to original form after an impact - can it handle the odd small bump and remain serviceable I wonder?

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The ability to absorb smaller knocks and still be useful is interesting. And though I've more helmets at home than I can use it's interesting to me, pending the price. I can see me buying one though if it's as billed.

scblack

Leucocholic
I saw this early this morning on a roadie news website. Surprising the number of roadies who would NOT buy it because it does not look so great. And some were actually serious at that.

My road helmet needs replacing somewhat soon, maybe this will be the new one.

As with any helmet for me, depends on fit and feel. Promising though.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
pity the mtb helmet is so much more expensive, 150 more than the roadie seems a bit rich, i would grab the commuter but it appears to have very little in ventilation

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I'll wait and see if it lives up to the hype.
Good luck. Even mips stuff barely has any real world data behind it and that's been in the market for a while. People will say it's good and whatever, but that's hardly scientific and large sample sizes are hard to get to actually quantify benefits. Lab testing is going to be as good as you get.

I'd try one, but price is probably gonna kill it for me.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
pity the mtb helmet is so much more expensive, 150 more than the roadie seems a bit rich, i would grab the commuter but it appears to have very little in ventilation
Guess you would be paying for the crash replacement, they must deem mtbers more likely to stack in the first year!

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Lab testing is going to be as good as you get.

I'd try one, but price is probably gonna kill it for me.
In the lab it certainly looks good. I was surprised at the prices browsing helmets recently, low end is now $150 in the reputable brands it seems.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I mentioned this to my partner who works with a leading concussion expert here in Melb. No going to name names but this guy was kind enough to share his opinion on this new helmet..

His take was that the research used wasn’t independent.. If you check the link here you will see everyone involved in the test had a financial interest in the wave cell product.

He didn’t believe the testing was that realistic to mtbing both in the speed and impact angle of the helmet but important that they did the lab work..

The study used ‘injury risk’ which is very hard to evaluate as everyone is different ie age, genetics, prior head injuries etc..

Mtbing head injuries tend to be impact related so fractured skulls, brain trauma etc. But mtbing is still considered low risk in relation to head injuries specifically.. Yes we land on our heads but we don’t have the issue of lots of smaller hits that cause concussion health problems like boxing or footy..

He recommended saving your money until fully independent research comes out on wave cell tech..
He says impact injuries are the main worry with mtbing and to buy the best helmet to protect against that.. If you have had prior concussions then you are susceptible whether you wear a helmet or not as your brain gets rattled around inside your skull and a helmet does nothing for that..

scblack

Leucocholic
Interesting to hear of the susceptibility from prior concussions.

I've played football all my life - rugby union at a decently high level. I had plenty of heavy impacts of course but no concussion as such from football. MTB has given me one concussion - knocked out for a few minutes at Lithgow the week before their National round (2006?), but nothing other than that to the head really.

My road helmet needs replacing soon. My personal needs are:
  • A good comfortable, snug fit.
  • Ability to fit a headlight and rear light to it.
  • Preferably a bright colour for road visibility.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt

I've played football all my life - rugby union at a decently high level. I had plenty of heavy impacts of course but no concussion as such from football. MTB has given me one concussion - knocked out for a few minutes at Lithgow the week before their National round (2006?), but nothing other than that to the head really.

Yeah the research is showing that it is the commutative affect the little knocks have that is causing ongoing health issues now, it’s not just the big KO incidents.
So it looks liek wearing a helmet while playing contact sports doesn’t reduce concussions occuring or give any long term protection..

bear the bear

Is a real bear

I recently bought Specialized's new Prevail 2 helmet with the MIPS and tracker. Not specifically for the tracker but rather the MIPS.
Lightweight, fits me good, excellent ventilation.

scblack

Leucocholic
Current helmet is a Specialized Propero, so far from current model and pretty old I guess.

This thread prompts me to start looking sooner than I intended. Thats probably a good thing.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Current helmet is a Specialized Propero, so far from current model and pretty old I guess.

This thread prompts me to start looking sooner than I intended. Thats probably a good thing.
I have always found KASK to be a great balance between vents, fit, weight and retention system.

Loved my POC octal but the back of head retention was flimsy AF

scblack

Leucocholic
I went to the Trek store at Rouse Hill. Tried all the wavecell helmets, but none quite fit me. Small does not get on my head. Medium is loose and can only held in place by cranking the rear knob until it clamped a loop around my skull. Oh well. No other Bontrager models really fit nicely either, my search will have to go on. Its only one day old so far.

Just have to find a helmet that fits my head.