Boost hubs. Here to stay?

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Where and how you ride may have some influence on this. I see plenty of youngsters riding the various jump and fr trails around here. These are easy to access and cater to a range of skills. Entry price for the sport is a bit of a deterrent. So too is the prevalence of grumpy old men. There's some real rude old dudes around that can deliver a strong vibe of uncool.
Don't be so hard on yourself.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Where and how you ride may have some influence on this. I see plenty of youngsters riding the various jump and fr trails around here. These are easy to access and cater to a range of skills. Entry price for the sport is a bit of a deterrent. So too is the prevalence of grumpy old men. There's some real rude old dudes around that can deliver a strong vibe of uncool.
I guess so, I might not hang around kid infested places. Just don't see many riding around streets and all.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Don't be so hard on yourself.

I'm the epic grumpy old man. Don't stand around in the middle of the trail jerking each other off over your shitty video. Stop skidding in the berms. If you can't ride the trail stop changing it. Try turning up to a build day. Pick up that rubbish. Fuck with all the grumping I barely have enough time to ride!

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Has AC shut down? What a shame, hubs were awesome.
WTF? The hubs are pieces of shit! Last rear hub I owned I cut out of the wheel and beat to death with a hammer. AC components were junk and glad to see the death of them. Any company that produces a BB that fails in under 40km deserves to die!

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
WTF? The hubs are pieces of shit! Last rear hub I owned I cut out of the wheel and beat to death with a hammer. AC components were junk and glad to see the death of them. Any company that produces a BB that fails in under 40km deserves to die!
Never used their bottom brackets. The hubs I've had have been faultless.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Bear you must have had a lemon my hubs also been great.
It must be a city thing Pinkie, cos around here everyone gets on really well from 7 to 70 yo .

Oddjob

Bear you must have had a lemon my hubs also been great.
It must be a city thing Pinkie, cos around here everyone gets on really well from 7 to 70 yo .
You see there's your problem. Making friends means stopping in the middle of the track to talk, skidding on the way into corners to stop and help when someones had an off. You need more pit vipers and flat brim hats not this friendly shit.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
That's a real shame about A/C. A good company. I've had solid experiences with their hubs, never a drama.

Two rears and, aside from the slower engagement feel, they were solid as a rock. Still running a front hub that must be 7 years old now (?) and only on it's 2nd set of bearings. Light and different hub designs.

Their rims were the real standouts for me. Always rode stiffer than a comparable DT or stans rim for the same weight/width. I'm still using two of their MTB Tubeless 29 rims. The rear rim is on it's third build to different hubs now (single speed to 12x142 to a road disc hub) and just won't give up.

Warp

Likes Dirt
Never used their bottom brackets. The hubs I've had have been faultless.
Actually, back in the day, AC (Laserdisc?) hubs were amongst the lightest around and not too expensive. They had this particular design with a sliding plate as opposed to pawls that either worked real good or went fubar really quick. Also, IIRC they had less seals so they were less protected than other hubs.

If you were running AC hubs you had to accept the compromises of them. They were pretty good hubs.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I wouldn't be surprised if that plays a part in it. There is a popular sealed shared path that runs through the reserve (Fernleigh Track - built over an old train line) and somehow almost everybody that uses it turns into an arsehole the second they step on. It's quite a spectacle.

You need more pit vipers and flat brim hats not this friendly shit.

I think pit bikes would trump the vipers! Oh wait...thats been done before.

redbruce

Eats Squid
That's a real shame about A/C. A good company. I've had solid experiences with their hubs, never a drama.

Two rears and, aside from the slower engagement feel, they were solid as a rock. Still running a front hub that must be 7 years old now (?) and only on it's 2nd set of bearings. Light and different hub designs.

Their rims were the real standouts for me. Always rode stiffer than a comparable DT or stans rim for the same weight/width. I'm still using two of their MTB Tubeless 29 rims. The rear rim is on it's third build to different hubs now (single speed to 12x142 to a road disc hub) and just won't give up.
Agree,

My 29 Wide lightnings have been great.
They ride better (and are lighter) than the Roval (Spesh) carbons (despite being 32 spoke vs 24/28 on Rovals) on my Camber. Would have gladly swapped for the Rovals if they had been SRAM XD so they are going on the Salsa Timberjack HT I'm building.

First AC rear hubs (mainly road) had a bit of a rep for problems but they have been bullet proof for the last 20 years.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
I wouldn't be surprised if that plays a part in it. There is a popular sealed shared path that runs through the reserve (Fernleigh Track - built over an old train line) and somehow almost everybody that uses it turns into an arsehole the second they step on. It's quite a spectacle.
Holy shite, you've just described the Bay Run here. I the past week we have had 3 run ins with dickheads 1 was particularly nasty and made Miss 6 cry (thankfully it was my wife with her when it happened as I was further ahead with Mr 8).

Oddjob

Holy shite, you've just described the Bay Run here. I the past week we have had 3 run ins with dickheads 1 was particularly nasty and made Miss 6 cry (thankfully it was my wife with her when it happened as I was further ahead with Mr 8).
Was the dickhead on foot or a roadie?

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Was the dickhead on foot or a roadie?

The one that reduced my daughter to tears was a 60ish male power walker.

It was along this section.

He was in the bike lane closest to the grass, earphones in walking towards Miss 6 who we tell to stay in her lane. He had his head down power walking along and Miss 6 got panicked and a bit wobbly - she's on a new bigger bike and has lost some confidence- because she had nowhere to go and NEARLY ran into him, he blew up and started yelling/gesticulating at her. A few others around told him to pull his head in and the Mrs dragged Miss 6 away to calm her down.

Anyway back to talking about hubs, this is making me angry again.

Last edited:

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
I don't know what you're all complaining about, this whole standards thing has saved me a fortune.

26" --> 650b / 27.5" dropped the price in the second hand market nicely, meaning I could get my hands on a nice SC Blur (thanks @99_FGT, I still love that bike). I never too much of an issue getting wheel parts or tires either, although I have noticed recently that new stuff doesn't necessarily come out in 26" all the time & some options are harder to come by. The biggest issue was that the LBS just flat out stopped selling 26" tires, so I stopped shopping there.

Boost also saved me a stack when buying forks for the Banshee, which let me choose what I wanted (part of the reason I chose Banshee too). Non-boost Mattoc Pro 2's for $500, couldn't say no to that. Despite being an alloy non-boost bike it's still about as much fun as you can have on 2 wheels. And I'll be damned if I can pick a difference in stiffness over the 135x10mm that's in the Blur.

However, Giant can eat a bag of dicks for all I care, pushing their shit on everyone. I've seen too many LBS which used to sell a variety of brands go Giant branded and now they only sell 1 of everything: Giant. Want a torque wrench? Giant. Want a Helmet? Giant. Want a Bike? Giant. IMO it's killing the LBS for anything other than new bike sales. I now have to drive halfway across town to get to the 1 shop I know still stocks something other than Giant and isn't 99 bikes, driving past several Giant stores on the way. /rant.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Jim Junkie thats my game now you have told all the sheep about it.
I got some very nice 26 inch American Classic wheels a while ago.
Giant have a good frame replacement policy [just the business model] cos so many frames break.
However like the tech companies Farcebook , Google and the banks etc one day Giant will get its comeuppance.
Too giant for its own good.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
I don't know what you're all complaining about, this whole standards thing has saved me a fortune.
I worked in the industry long enough to get pretty sick of the business model of dividing the market to grow the market. Great bikes can be had for cheap if you're not concerned about having the latest model or components. Buying second hand and keeping things in use is great for your hip pocket, your wellbeing and the environment to boot.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
You guys are spot on. All my bikes are second hand, all awesome and all running what are now old standards. Can't complain when a new Mattoc cost me $328 and a new Lyrik $280, both with full warranty and a second hand Boxxer Race $75.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
You guys are spot on. All my bikes are second hand, all awesome and all running what are now old standards. Can't complain when a new Mattoc cost me $328 and a new Lyrik $280, both with full warranty and a second hand Boxxer Race $75.
I find it works for some - there is a period where all the old stuff gets red hot sale, then it bam, next minute it's rare as anything. I was looking for a fork for two of my bikes - nailed the $400 lyrik from mtb direct. But the 120mm 15x100 29er fork - nowhere to be seen for less than $700 landed - they're all boost now lol.