Bottom bracket shell filled with water

cogs19

Likes Bikes
As the thread title suggests I just knocked out press fit bb in my Pivot Mach 429 Trail (the older model) and water literally gushed out when the first shell came out!

Has anyone experienced this before?? On other bikes I have there are drainage holes to prevent water catching here but not on this bike.

While looking around the base of the bike frame I noticed that there are bottle cage bolts on the bottom of the downtube so i suppose if it take these out I would be able to drain water that collects inside the frame.

I don't use pressure washer, and I rarely ride in wet conditions, but the bike does get hit with the hose a bit when cleaning.

Any ideas of a better solution than removing downtube bolts? (ps. don't really feel comfortable drilling a hole in the bottom of the bb shell).

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Hang bike by front wheel, loosen dropper remote and pull dropper post out.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

moorey

call me Mia
There should be one, as you say, at least always in my experience.
you could drill one of course...I would but understand if you’re hesitant.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
I've had it on a bike without drain holes. Pain in the arse. It'll be coming in via the seatpost so wrap an old tube/ bit of rubber around the clamp area and that'll stop in getting in.

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It happens on my 429Trail too. I ended up using a compressor and high pressure air to blow it out and dry it when I had the bike apart for a major rebuild. Then sealed it all up but water still gets in although it doesn't seem as bad.

cogs19

Likes Bikes
Thanks for the responses. I've pressed in the new BB. I plan to remove the bottle cage bolt on the bottom of the downtube after cleaning and whenever else I remember to help drain it. The lowest bolt hole is only an inch or so above the bb shell so I reckon I can clear all the water this way if I tilt the bike a little bit forward when in the work stand.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
you need a laser cut representation of your rotorburn username cutout into the bb shell , good for security also

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't like this thread. I went home, and shook my bike (Turner Czar V1.0) and it sounds like the frame has water in it. I have stripped it almost completely and cannot find where the water is. FML.

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
LIterally have the front triangle in my hand completely stripped. There is water in it, i can't get it out and i don't know exactly where it is. I think i've gone insane, it's like the water is between the carbon layers in the frame.

Time to put it back togther I suppose :rolleyes:

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Last time I had this problem...the 'water' turned out to be cascading rust flakes.

In the case of this Turner...maybe it's the degraded bladder or whatever was used to form the tube in the mould. I remember seeing degraded cardboard flakes coming out of a mate's generic open mould Chinese carbon frame!