Boxing?

kemmis

Likes Dirt
I am thinking about boxing and have been for a while, what are your thoughts on it? any one tried it and liked it? any advice? I figure I will just train but eventually I will have the urge to test it out in the ring, what are my odds of getting seriously hurt in amateur boxing? ie brain damage?

driftking

Wheel size expert
I guess no one can give you the odds of been hurt in the ring and the short/long term effects, it will depend on many factors. I really enjoy boxing, It requires very high level of fitness, focus and muscle endurance and the stress relief is great. I have been out of the game for a while but plan on jumping back into it.
If you get the urge to get in the ring, start by sparing obviously where you have some head gear etc. If you are concerned about the brain damage side of things you can always consider tag boxing, its not the same but you wear head gear and get points for certain contact points (i dont know the ins and out).Obviously Tag you can still get hurt but I would expect having head gear would help reduce impacts, you would have to research it as I dont know much about it. It wont be the same as belting the crap out of someone in the ring but it also means you wont get the crap belted out of you either.
I enjoy boxing for the sport and am not interested in competing. I think you just have to work out what you're willing to risk in the ring.
There is alot of suggestion and evidence about the affect of not just boxing but damage to the head/brain durring impacts in the short and long term.
I would have a google search followed by probably alot of reading, talking to your doctor next time you go will probably be a great benifit.

Last edited:

driftking

Wheel size expert
I havent done the sport for a long amount of time in the gym but always boxed at home.
Sorry I couldnt give more information reguarding injuries however I feel that its something that you have to speak to a doctor about and someone with medical knowlegde on the subject. We know one punch hard enough or one fall could result in someone having brain damage, where others might fight for years in or out of the ring and appear to have little problems.
You would expect the longer you fight the more your chances increase of getting seriously hurt or causing damage over time but once again we know one punch can kill so it is not something you can put a specific number on.
There are studies that will give you good indications on the matter which are probably a good idea to read. As I said you should talk to someone medically qualified on the subject as they are the only ones who can give you the right answers.
Dont get me wrong I think boxing is great personally but as I mentioned I dont fight in the ring. I find it a fun way to train and enjoy it for stress reilef,strength/endurance trainning,focus and I feel It can give you more confidence.
I am very pro boxing training (including fighting skills for confidence) but when it comes to ring fighting/street fighting I lean more towards the con side of things and feel it is not something that I personally want to undertake or feel is healthy for any individual to undertake.But that is where everyone weighs up there own decisions.
I think that before someone jumps in the ring they should be informed by a doctor of the possible risks they are taking so they can make a valid informed choice.
Good luck with the boxing, the trainning will deffinatly get you into shape.
If you jump in the ring, make sure it is an informed decision that you make on your own and are not pressured into by a trainner or fellow boxer.

Last edited:

rone

Eats Squid
It may have changed but when I did it all amateur fights required head protection. Even if you just train and spar and don't actually fight, you will need to be super-fit.

Bermshot

Banned
Point being, Sport. There can be your down fall. I rate boxing right up there amongst the best. Know your art, decide and commit.

driftkings points are great until he said go to the duckets, I know he is thinking of insurance but the doc ain't gonna be there when it is all said and done.

I'm not a boxer but I have been punched around, IMO you could easily pick something worse to vitalise yourself with.

Apart from Mountain Biking of course.

driftking

Wheel size expert
Point being, Sport. There can be your down fall. I rate boxing right up there amongst the best. Know your art, decide and commit.

driftkings points are great until he said go to the duckets, I know he is thinking of insurance but the doc ain't gonna be there when it is all said and done.

I'm not a boxer but I have been punched around, IMO you could easily pick something worse to vitalise yourself with.

Apart from Mountain Biking of course.
Insurance was not something I was even thinking about but that does bring up a good point. My main reason for suggesting doctors was that Kemmis was asking for information only a medical proffesional can provide which is why I pushed that point that they are the only ones who can provide the information..

I am not qualified to give kemmis information on the subject and I would expect majority of the people on the forum are not qualified either, therefore any information requarding safety cannot be taken as a absoloute/correct statement. Also due to everyone been different the dangers will varry, which once again call the need for a medical proffesional only they can answer this while taking into account current fitness level and other factors eg age,sex,previous injuries etc.
Of course whether we seek medical information is our own choice and we need to take reponsibility for those decisions, However I would tell anyone getting in the ring to see a doctor and get the correct tests and information. How informed/checked we get is upto the the individual and once again we need to take responsibility for that decision, whether we see a doctor or not is our own decision.Whether we get in the ring or not is also our own decision.
I personally would just ask my GP next time I go, I wouldnt spend the extra cash to go specifically for that purpose, unless the doctor bulk bills and it wont cost anything, but thats just me.
Getting a medical check is always a good idea before starting anything new, But once again everyone makes their own decision on that and it ultimately comes down to each individual. Another reason for suggesting a doctor for info and a check up is because, with health you cannot take advice from forums or websites, at best you can take on board what you have read and confirm them with a GP.Everyone proceeds at there own risk when taking information off a website. So I feel the least I can do is point kemmis in the direction of the only person who can give him the information he can take on board and use confidently, A medical proffesional.

+1 with bermshot "boxing is up there with the best"

Last edited:

jonozrx

Likes Dirt
Boxing's great, I started doing it to keep fit in the offseason and fell in love with it. It will get you very, very fit. You'll always be wearing headgear as an amateur.

In fact, I was just talking about starting up again today... this must be a sign :D

ando_assi

Likes Dirt
my experience is it is all about the gym you go to,

I used to go to a great gym where is was all about getting fit, and it was a sport, I've been to other gyms where it is all about ego's and "toughness". Not fun!!

Ham

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Keeping fit using boxing as training is completely different to competing.

Craven Moorehead

Likes Bikes
Boxing is a fantastic way to cross train for MTBing.Increases core strength,lower back endurance/flexibility,upper body strength/endurance,cardio,reflexes/reaction times and mental toughness.As far as sparring in a gym as long as you've got all the right equipment(16oz gloves,headgear,mouthguard,groin protector)and your opponent is of a similar ability then your chances of injuries are minimal.You're not likely to jump straight into the ring without training for a while anyway and you'll learn how to protect yourself and not get hit and increase your neck strength so you can take a punch.Give it a crack it's a massive adrenaline rush and a real character builder.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Bit of a bump to an old thread, but I took up boxing last year - has been great.

Noticed definite improvements in both core and shoulder strength - both have improved my riding on technical descents.

I train at a gym that produces fighters - so big focus on technique as well as fitness. This is great because it challenges me to develop better balance and coordination - also useful for riding.

With regards to brain injuries etc: theres no pressure on to fight, I haven't even sparred properly yet, but we do take a few hits to learn defense properly. I'll probably never get in the ring though :)

So its a pretty good cross training option for MTB, and if nothing else having a bit of confidence when it comes to a self defense situation goes a long way.