Boxxer Race ~2008/9ish Rebuild Attempt - Oil Passing on Rebound Shaft.

Adi

It's my birthday!
Hi guys.

I have stripped down my old Boxxer Race forks, replaced the wipers, and oil seals. I stripped most of it down and also ordered replacement o-rings.

Everything is back together OK however I noticed that on the right (rebound and compression) side the new oil leaks past the rebound shaft sealhead. Here is a picture of the rebound shaft with seal head..

The seal head is the white plastic with o-ring on outside. It also has an internal o-ring to glide up and down the rebound shaft. It is this internal o-ring where the oil in the cartridge is escaping and draining into the lowers. I measured up the original internal o-ring to be 18mm OD, 12mm ID and 3mm cross section. It only passes oil when rebound shaft is in motion, doesn't leak statically just sitting there. I have tried 2 other o-rings with very similar sizes but the original one (from 2008) seems to do the best job of holding the oil in.

Any advice? I could try a thicker o-ring cross section or will I have to pay up and buy the rebuild kit? I just feel that with 20hour service intervals even the smallest passing of oil will quickly drain that 150mL damping oil volume

Also noticed on the top of the rebound/compression leg, there was air escaping from underneath the blue knob and I could see some oil building up over there as the rebound shaft moves up/down. So I opened up the motion control unit and replaced 2 o-rings in there - it seems to have improved a lot but I need to put it underwater to see if leak is still there. Other than dirt getting in, will a small air leak compromise the rebound or compression behaviour?

BTW this is my first time ever stripping down forks... it's been a good learning experience even if these forks are toast...

Last edited:

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Is the delrin seal head scratched or damaged in any way on the internal oring faces? How did you remove the old oring?

Adi

It's my birthday!
Thanks guys. I removed all o-rings with a toothpick. The original sealhead external o-ring had visible damage and I replaced that. Didn't notice any damage to internal one.

Will get that bigger o-ring on monday from a local shop and give it a shot. There are several materials for o-rings any specific recommendations?

tomacropod; thanks for the offer - I'll let you know if i get stuck with sourcing that 3.5mm oring. Do you have a list of the actual o-ring dimensions as part of a rebuild kit for this fork? I measured all mine by ruler and eye. I have several RockShox documents but none specify the sizes. Next time I will definitely round up with the o-rings...

link1896; I removed with toothpick but pretty sure that I didn't damage it. I got the fork used then it did 30 rough days in Whistler 5 years ago and it's been sitting here since so I am not surprised that this original o-ring is passing some oil.