Boyer buoyed by another win

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
Newcastle mountain biker, Ricky Boyer, continued his domination in the sport of downhill racing by winning the first round of the Red Ass State Series yesterday in Thredbo.

The current national series leader held onto a three second margin over the long 4.2 km course down Thredbo’s famous Crackenback Run.

For Boyer, who turns 30 on Wednesday, the win confirmed his current good form.

“It seems to be a bit of a roll on effect,” he admitted. “It’s good to be in good form.

“I know the course pretty well here. It’s always hard. The length of Thredbo is always double the length of everywhere else.

“There was a bit of rain this morning but by the time the elite did their final run we all had similar conditions,” he added.

Boyer won the final run in 6 min 22.13 seconds while Canberra’s Tim Eaton was only three seconds off the pace to finish second. Eaton, a 26 year old ANU lab technician, had the fastest qualifying time despite riding in damp and slippery conditions.

“Coming second is a good start to the series for me,” Eaton said. “I wanted to give Ricky a run for his money.

“He’s just got the confidence right now– he’s on a confidence roll.”

Third was Tom Lewis from Orange recording 6 min 32.09 sec.

In the Under 19 division, Joey Vejvoda clocked up an impressive 6 min 36.62 sec run. The 16 year old Bredbo rider demonstrated his versatility after racing the discipline of Four Cross at national level last month to lining up in the final of the state titles in BMX last weekend. Vejvoda was comfortably ahead of second placed Jake Newell while Dean Evans claimed third.

Age was no barrier in the elite women’s event with a remarkable win by 16 year old Teagan Molloy from Jindabyne. Despite the wet conditions, Molloy posted 7 min 42.14 sec a full eight seconds clear of second placed Danielle Beecroft

“I wasn’t sure how I would go in the mud,” said Molloy.

Some home track advantage and knowing the important technical sections may have helped Molloy.

“I do get to train on this track once a week,” she admitted.

“I like the snakes and ladders section,” she said. “The faster you do it the better. You’ve got to be right on it. I hit them (technical sections) nice and hard. I took a risk.”

Third was RAAF rider, Sarah Booth with a creditable 7 min 55.70 sec.

The second round of the four round state series will be held at Ourimbah on the 15th May. The state championships will be held in Awaba on 3rd April.

For more information go to www.rockytrailentertainment.com

Sharon Payne
Bike Media

Bretto172

Likes Dirt
thredbo

Hi
Does anyone have a link to a boyer run on video? assuming he gopro'd a run there?
Would love to see a vid at that sort of speed..