Brake delemma.

hayesy

Cannon Fodder
Hi all,

My Trek Remedy 8 has Avid Elixir brakes. It's a 2011, but I don't know how to identify the model of the brakes.
I had a bike mechanic bleed my brakes, because they were spongey. They are still spongey and I have to "pump them up" before setting off in the morning. Is this normal of a particular model that I may have. Did the mechanic do a not-so-good job bleeding them? Should I be looking for a replacement brake system?

I mainly ride the you yangs in vic. Bit of everything. Rode iRide at apollo bay yesterday and my brakes were very disappointing.

Any help would be appreciated.

avid.jpg

allan.taylor64

Likes Dirt
I think they are avid elixer 5's but I'm not sure... Maybe your mechanic did a poor quality bleed and that's why it is still spongy. Not sure though.

davehirst

Likes Dirt
a trick i use on my motor bike, is to slightly crack the master open (to allow air to releas)e then pull the lever shut and tie it shut for the night.
The constant pressure will force the air up the line and release.
If you have paid a "pro" to do this job, they should be better than spongy

sedifus

Likes Dirt
The brakes do look like an elixir 5. If not a different named elixir of the same quality.

They are a pain in the ass to bleed but by no means should be spongey. Took me some time working on my own elixirs before I got the technique 100% but a solid bite at pad contact is how they should feel, with a small amount of lever movement afterwards that feels like flex (but not necessarily).

MountGower

Likes Dirt
I don't even read the forum that much but it seems like the Avid brake threads are quite regular. I helped a work mate solve his Avid Elixer problems today by pointing him to Shimano XT on sale for $109.42 each at CRC. Shine those things up like new and palm them off.

nickdos

Likes Dirt
They do look very similar to my brakes - Avid Elixir 5. And yes they are spongey compared to most other hydraulic brakes. I've had heaps of problems with them. I've bled them both twice and replaced pads once and they are still crap but a lot better than when I got them.

I agree with the suggestion of getting Shimano's, my previous Shimano's were a dream compared to these. The latest Deore M596 are way better and only $55 at Wiggle each.

I spoke to a couple of guys at the Mont on the weekend about how crappy these brakes are and both had replaced them with Shimano's. If I wasn't planning on selling my bike soon, I'd do the same.

EDIT: here you go, they are Elixir 5 http://www.trekbikes.com/au/en/bikes/2011/archive/remedy8

Last edited:

MrZ32

Likes Dirt
This is exactly what I have been thinking about. I have the elixer 7 carbons. Look nice and pull up hard when working properly but noisy as hell and can't stand it. .. cleaned up pads and rotors and same thing.

Was checking crc for either hope tech m4s or saints but then the shimano xt's so cheap. .. How can you say no?

I can't imagine the hopes being that much better.

Last question, can the 6bolt ice tech rotors fit a normal 6bolt dis arrangement or will there be a word offset?

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Last question, can the 6bolt ice tech rotors fit a normal 6bolt dis arrangement or will there be a word offset?
They'll fit. The back face of the spider is recessed slightly to fit over the boss on the hub, so they end up in the same plane as regular rotors.

redbruce

Eats Squid
Hi all,

My Trek Remedy 8 has Avid Elixir brakes. It's a 2011, but I don't know how to identify the model of the brakes.
I had a bike mechanic bleed my brakes, because they were spongey. They are still spongey and I have to "pump them up" before setting off in the morning. Is this normal of a particular model that I may have. Did the mechanic do a not-so-good job bleeding them? Should I be looking for a replacement brake system?

I mainly ride the you yangs in vic. Bit of everything. Rode iRide at apollo bay yesterday and my brakes were very disappointing.

Any help would be appreciated
Yes you need a new (competent) bike mechanic, or better still get the gear and learn to do it yourself.

We have Avids on 4 bikes and Shimano on one. Avids do require more frequent maintenance than Shimano, but they have better feel in my experience.

You do need to follow the correct method and with an Avid bleed kit to get good results.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Likes Bikes
Naaa, they were probably bled properly. that model is known for a manufacturing fault - holes in the bladder apparently...you need to get the full service kit, or swap them for xt's like I did...