Brake issues thread

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
I Hope you all learn a lesson from this.
laughs in TRP
I am one of the rarities in the world of brakes as my old Juicy 7s haven't missed a beat either.
I did too! I had a set of Juicy 3s that just worked all the time. Never looked after them either. I didn't understand Avid hate, then I got some XXs and I did.

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
laughs in TRP

I did too! I had a set of Juicy 3s that just worked all the time. Never looked after them either. I didn't understand Avid hate, then I got some XXs and I did.
Alixir 5's 2014 model series 2, have worked flawless to this day from new.
Alixir 5 2012 model series 1 lasted about 5 years before they leaked
Jucey 3's 2009 model leaked around 8 years
X0's bought in 2017 new, still working.

Last edited:

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Alixir 5's 2014 model series 2, have work flawless to this day from new.
Alixir 5 2012 model series 1 lasted about 5 years before they leaked
Jucey 3's 2009 model leaked around 8 years
X0's bought in 2017 new, still working.
I’ve got a set of avid Trail 9’s on my commuter that I used on my main mountain bike for about 5 years and they were flawless. I still get on my commuter and smile at how overpowered they are but I can’t just let them hang in the shed - too good for that

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Sorted ! stripped the lever down, sanded the 2 plastic rings, lever bleed and she's working like a new brake.

Shimano didn't want people stripping these, that's why there are no Shimano spares and that fckn circlip was a chunt :D

I seen the Ali replacement Ti pistons, might order a set as spares in case it happens again and I'll drop the Ali pistons in.

View attachment 380264
That circlip can f..k right off.
Have stripped down both my m9000 levers now. First one was easy. Cleaned everything, replaced piston with Risky one, replaced lever pivot/axle, reassemble, bleed.
Heck yeah, feels great now. I'll just do the other one... Famous last words.
For some reason the Risk/Ali/eBay piston didn't work. I can only assume it's due to some visible wear inside the body of the master cylinder. The new piston squeaks and then randomly seizes. I did put the seals on in the correct orientation too. Anyway, cleaned the original piston and put it back in, reassemble the f..king thing again, bleed. Feels great.
Not sold on carbon levers though, feels as dodgy as Magura's carbotecture stuff.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Have stripped down both my m9000 levers now. First one was easy. Cleaned everything, replaced piston with Risky one, replaced lever pivot/axle, reassemble, bleed.
For some reason the Risk/Ali/eBay piston didn't work. I can only assume it's due to some visible wear inside the body of the master cylinder. The new piston squeaks and then randomly seizes. I did put the seals on in the correct orientation too. Anyway, cleaned the original piston and put it back in, reassemble the f..king thing again, bleed. Feels great.
Not sold on carbon levers though, feels as dodgy as Magura's carbotecture stuff.
I like mine...

Labcanary

I like mine...
The circlip? Or the Risk piston?

I also used the Risk piston in some XT m785 levers with great success.

Edit: and it worked in one of the m9000 levers so I'm pretty happy with that.

Edit part 2: ohhhh, carbon levers. I'm not slow...

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
If it has a bit of a score mark in the bore of the handle, you might need to give it a light hone with some wet and dry sand paper.

Labcanary

If it has a bit of a score mark in the bore of the handle, you might need to give it a light hone some wet and dry sand paper.
Cheers @Flow-Rider. You seem to know which bit I'm talking about despite me having NFI of correct terminology! I'll give that a go if it becomes a problem again.
What grit paper? I assume something pretty fine?

Flow-Rider

Burner
Cheers @Flow-Rider. You seem to know which bit I'm talking about despite me having NFI of correct terminology! I'll give that a go if it becomes a problem again.
What grit paper? I assume something pretty fine?
I would say something like a semi worn piece of 400 grit with kero as the lubricant, try not to take a lot of material out. If the hole becomes too oval or large it will cause other issues too.