Brake options

metalhead39

Likes Bikes
I am at the moment running avid elixerR's on my glory and I am thinking of upgrading them by either getting code calipers and placing them with my elixer levers because they seem like a good combination or giving Hayes Stroker Aces a go but i have not heard much about the hayes so any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers Shaun

woody 14

Eats Squid
a few mates of mine have had bike come with stroker aces and they said they were crap. the pads glazed over just looking at em, they held heat like an oven, stuff all power and very unreliable.
now let me make this clear I HAVE NOT HAD ANY HANDS ON EXPERIANCE WITH THESE BRAKES. THIS IS JUST WHAT IV BEEN TOLD

my 2c]

Last edited:

muskimo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
also keep in mind they are the first 4pot one piece caliper they have made, so there will most likley be problems, but glazing over of pads is the pads not the caliper (in my experiance) i tend to stay away from sintered as they have a much higher heat generation and tend to glaze over if used with a caliper that is a closed in design (that doesnt have a open back for air flow and the ability to change the pads with out taking the caliper off. ie: hope calipers, older style shimano diore xt 4 pot etc

metalhead39

Likes Bikes
thanks guys for the feed back, im still thinking of getting some code calipers to see how they will go.......let the money saving begin:rolleyes:

dj222

Likes Dirt
code calipers are awsome and full of power but if you want something a bit lighter maybe go for juicy 7' or elixer's thes are light brakes with a good amount of power for any riding althoug they aren't as strong as codes they will save weight. I have a set of juicy 7's myself and they are AWSOME!!!

metalhead39

Likes Bikes
code calipers are awsome and full of power but if you want something a bit lighter maybe go for juicy 7' or elixer's thes are light brakes with a good amount of power for any riding althoug they aren't as strong as codes they will save weight. I have a set of juicy 7's myself and they are AWSOME!!!
i am running elixers atm and i must say i am a bit fat and my brakes to tend to fade by the end of a run and was just wondering if it is worth changing brakes to a bigger caliper

iTrade

Squid
I've run codes, juicy carbons/7, and the new hayes, shimano XT servo wave rip on all of these. Get some.

Xmetal

Give this man a job, we want pics!
i am running elixers atm and i must say i am a bit fat and my brakes to tend to fade by the end of a run and was just wondering if it is worth changing brakes to a bigger caliper
I've successfully done a backyard Code 5 build (Juicy lever, Code caliper) and it works beautifully - The benefits are increased power and reduced weight as the Juicy levers are lighter than Code levers.

If you're up for it i'd suggest finding out if you can use your Elixr levers with Code calipers. :)

Some pics here to give you ideas. :)

I've also added Straitline levers but i'm not sure if they make levers for Elixr levers.

Food for thought. :)

Xmetal

Give this man a job, we want pics!
instead of mucking round with that, just go with shimano saint brakes. powerful and reliable
Average set of Saint of brakes 2nd hand on this site: = $300ish

Code caliper 2nd hand = $120 (paid that for mine)
Avid bleed kit = $50 new

Upgrading to 4 pot calipers without having to change levers/hoses/mounts/rotors = priceless.

metalhead39

Likes Bikes
Average set of Saint of brakes 2nd hand on this site: = $300ish

Code caliper 2nd hand = $120 (paid that for mine)
Avid bleed kit = $50 new

Upgrading to 4 pot calipers without having to change levers/hoses/mounts/rotors = priceless.
oh man you are my hero, pretty much makes my mind up right there:)

the F.H.B

Likes Dirt
Well I went for this option http://www.pricepoint.com/detail.htm?stylePkey=18545 as for $120US an end you cant really go wrong, I cant answer any questions on how they perform yet as I haven't built up my new ride but from the reviews on ridemonkey etc I felt it was worth taking a punt. They arrived in 6 days from ordering and are a very tidy looking brake system, they come with bleed kit as well.