Brake pad / rotor question

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Is it necessary to clean rotors when changing pads from one compound to another? Say from a metallic pad to a resin or Kevlar pad?

Can it cause any damage to the pads or rotor?

Flow-Rider

Burner
It's good to give the rotor a roughen up with sand paper then clean it off with some metho.. It helps the bedding in process of the pads more than anything.

moorey

call me Mia
Yep. Makes no difference I’ve ever noticed. Occasionally slip metal in. Usually resin all round.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Always clean rotors after you do anything to brakes just in case you've touched them with oily fingers. Isopropyl alcohol is best.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

moorey

call me Mia
Or just don’t touch them. I’m assuming Wkkie isn’t as hamfisted as the gorilla he resembles?

But yes, if touched, clean them. I used to use isopropyl, and acetone. Only ever use metho these days, and works as well.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Gorilla ey..... I'm flattered! :oops:

I'll always keep my grubby miss away from braking surfaces on pads and rotors, and usually if I think there's an issue I'll hit the rotors with isopropyl.

This question came more from laziness as I'm looking to swap wheels from metallic xt pads on the hardtail to the Uberbike race-matrix pads (which are some kind of magical concoction) on the Zees that are on the dually.

teK--

Eats Squid
Definitely clean with alcohol but never sand. By sanding you are creating micro scratches which cause an uneven braking surface.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Talk about fussy. I don't clean them. I even touch them occasionally when I'm playing with the bike. A partial finger print hasn't hurt yet.

I do avoid spilling noticeable amounts goo on tthem. When it happens I cry for a bit and then put on a new rotor. I used a commercial brake cleaner once and the result was ok. I also used metho once and it didn't really help.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Metho is for drinking when you're down on your luck and sweet fuck all else.

Use shellite. It dissolves grease like a mofo. Wear gloves, use in a well ventilated area, breathing it in isn't nice. You can buy it at bunnings.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Never cleaned a rotor in my life... rubbed a bit of rust off my fatbike rotors (riding on the beach with seawater) on a few occasions but that was on the rotor support arms, I've never touched the ring that the pad contacts with.

moorey

call me Mia
Metho is for drinking when you're down on your luck and sweet fuck all else.

Use shellite. It dissolves grease like a mofo. Wear gloves, use in a well ventilated area, breathing it in isn't nice. You can buy it at bunnings.
Never ever shellite. Leaves an oily residue.

moorey

call me Mia
Yes, but what fucks Mtb braking, barely effects a car. My Landy used to leak oil right onto one rotor....didn’t effect performance at all.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Never ever shellite. Leaves an oily residue.
Contaminated or bad batch I'm guessing. It's my go to in the workshop, and for optics and glass at work. Sometimes it will leave a faint white residue, but never oily. If you leave the lid off the container long, the xylene, which does all the cleaning, evaporates.

Calling redbruce our chemist. I think it's xylene, whatever it is, it's a shiz for cleaning.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Yes, but what fucks Mtb braking, barely effects a car. My Landy used to leak oil right onto one rotor....didn’t effect performance at all.
I bet if it went fast enough you would have, nothing unusual to deglaze rotors and pads between races in a race car.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Contaminated or bad batch I'm guessing. It's my go to in the workshop, and for optics and glass at work. Sometimes it will leave a faint white residue, but never oily. If you leave the lid off the container long, the xylene, which does all the cleaning, evaporates.

Calling redbruce our chemist. I think it's xylene, whatever it is, it's a shiz for cleaning.
Ciggy lighter fluid :eek: R55

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Talk about fussy. I don't clean them. I even touch them occasionally when I'm playing with the bike. A partial finger print hasn't hurt yet.
Your braking performance would likely be decreased by half a poofteenth! I hope you allow for that as you charge into that -30% hairpin and pull a stoppie to get around it!