Brake pad / rotor question

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
n-Hexane and Ethylbenzene that achieve the impressive grease cutting ability that evaporate out of the bottle super fast if one leaves the lid off?
They dont sound carcinogenic at all.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
I always have a can of brake cleaner handy.
Spray onto a rag & then wipe rotor thoroughly.
If there is still no bite I remove the pads, spray brake cleaner onto some 120 grit sand paper & gently rub the pad face in circles in the pool of cleaner to get 'em back to new material.
Then go do a good bed-in run down the hill to re-deposit fresh pad material.

For some reason I had a rotor/pad combo that would often glaze (or get oily) & I would have to do the above process every few months. Since I chucked the pads for new ones it's been OK.

I wonder if sintered/metal are better or worse for collecting unwanted residues....?

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'll always keep my grubby miss away from braking surfaces
How'd that slip through without a comment?

I haven't really cleaned any of mine other than when giving the bike a hose down, except the one that got fork oil on it (and binned those pads). Don't think it's been detrimental to my braking, but I probably don't go fast enough to need the extra power that I could be missing.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
How'd that slip through without a comment?

I haven't really cleaned any of mine other than when giving the bike a hose down, except the one that got fork oil on it (and binned those pads). Don't think it's been detrimental to my braking, but I probably don't go fast enough to need the extra power that I could be missing.
Yep, she's away from the bikes in general!

In response to the original post, I did end up just putting the wheel / rotor onto the existing pads and didn't clean the rotor. The bike didn't blow up, I didn't lose any power and it didn't scream it's head off... Happy days! That was going from metallic Shimano pads to Uberbike Race-Matrix pads.