Brake upgrades

jez86

Squid
Hey all,
So I have been experiencing some noticable brake fade on some faster descents on the last couple rides.
Merida one forty 700 with stock Shimano M500 setup with 180mm rotors

As someone who has had the last decade of bike tech pass me by, I'm a bit lost.
What practical steps can I take to improve the breaking performance.

Whole new system? Different pads/rotors?

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
What weight are you?

Could go bigger rotors or quad pistons up front. The former will be the cheapest and easiest change, you'll need the matching adaptor to match the rotor size.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
If it’s only been noticed in the last couple of rides then maybe they just need a bleed or the pads have been contaminated?

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Yeah, start with cooking the pads and cleaning the rotors. Costs you a few squirts of brake cleaner and a puff of butane on the camp stove, can make a massive difference.

Bleed them if they're soft or have inconsistent feel

Bigger rotors for a cheap power upgrade (doesn't always work I find, but look way cooler)

Upgrade to Zee's if you want some real power without breaking the bank

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

jez86

Squid
If it’s only been noticed in the last couple of rides then maybe they just need a bleed or the pads have been contaminated?
Confidence has grown so tackling bigger downs.
Only had the bike about 3 months, it is noticable towards the end of bigger downs. Feel fine to start and just get longer in the lever as the run progresses. Sorry probably should have stated that in the first post.

Will give them a bleed over the weekend anyway and hit the same trails next week and see how they feel.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Another thing to consider would be your braking technique, steeper and longer descents require you to let go of the brakes more often, consistent feel with brakes is all about managing the heat.

herbman

Likes Dirt
Better brake pads. Those come with resin pads to keep the cost down. Get some Shimano metallic/sintered for them.

jez86

Squid
Another thing to consider would be your braking technique, steeper and longer descents require you to let go of the brakes more often, consistent feel with brakes is all about managing the heat.
I did think I may be contributing.
Note to self, get off the brakes more often.
Better brake pads. Those come with resin pads to keep the cost down. Get some Shimano metallic/sintered for them.
Rotors have 'resin pads only' etched onto them so would need to do both pads and rotors.

Although a set of MT5s got listed for sale on a local buy and sell page recently.

Significant upgrade or barely noticable?

herbman

Likes Dirt
I did think I may be contributing.
Note to self, get off the brakes more often.Rotors have 'resin pads only' etched onto them so would need to do both pads and rotors.

Although a set of MT5s got listed for sale on a local buy and sell page recently.

Significant upgrade or barely noticable?
The rotors will be ok with the sintered pads for a short period. They will just ware out a bit faster as they are made from a softer steel.

Your m500 brakes are a good brake that are not all that different from the higher Shimano brakes with the major difference being the stock pads they come with resin vs sintered and a tool free reach adjustment.

With the MT5s you maybe buying someone else problem and more than likely you will still have to spring for a new set of rotors.

I personally would buy some sintered pads and see if they give you the added power you want and if they don’t I would jump up a rotor size when you are replace the current rotors.

poita

Likes Dirt
Owning a set of Maguras myself, I'd steer clear of second hand. A better brake for sure, but a pain to bleed well and just less parts and knowledge out there.

I echo everyone else's sentiment. Try to manage your braking to reduce heat build up, definitely bleed them if it's been a while, and for a tangible upgrade switch out to sintered and new rotors. Bigger if you like, but TBH sintered and just better rotors will be more noticeable. Once you hit the limit of those improvements, then spring for a different set altogether. At that point I'd recommend something other than Shimano if you have cash to spare.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Owning a set of Maguras myself, I'd steer clear of second hand. A better brake for sure, but a pain to bleed well and just less parts and knowledge out there.

I echo everyone else's sentiment. Try to manage your braking to reduce heat build up, definitely bleed them if it's been a while, and for a tangible upgrade switch out to sintered and new rotors. Bigger if you like, but TBH sintered and just better rotors will be more noticeable. Once you hit the limit of those improvements, then spring for a different set altogether. At that point I'd recommend something other than Shimano if you have cash to spare.
But given that you can get Zees for $250 from ze germans nothing comes close for the performance.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

poita

Likes Dirt
But given that you can get Zees for $250 from ze germans nothing comes close for the performance.

Totally, if price is the only important factor. I run Shimano on most bikes, but have a desire for more feels from brakes sometimes and Shimano just ain't got da feelz on da brakes. Do stop the bike though.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Totally, if price is the only important factor. I run Shimano on most bikes, but have a desire for more feels from brakes sometimes and Shimano just ain't got da feelz on da brakes. Do stop the bike though.
True dat. I would probably go Formula Curas next. Roughly the same price from ze germans, use mineral oil and @Hipstar rates his.

The Maguras still seem to be fiddly, and stripping threads on master cylinders aint no joke.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
True dat. I would probably go Formula Curas next. Roughly the same price from ze germans, use mineral oil and @Hipstar rates his.

The Maguras still seem to be fiddly, and stripping threads on master cylinders aint no joke.

I rate my Curas too, and they're not the Cura 4 that @Hipstar is running.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
No, they're glazed from overheating, something that resin pads do suffer from. Glazing causes fade, which is a loss of friction, not pressure. Pad contamination is far less common than some around here would try to have you believe, unless maybe they use a spray gun to apply chain lube......

Anyway, first likely cause is technique. Dragging the brakes a lot builds up the surface temperature, and that causes glazing. So get off the anchors, let them breathe, and grab them short & hard when needed.

Sometimes however, the riding situation is just too demanding for resin to deal with (it's better for quick grabs when you want to shed speed fast, but lacks the heat tolerance for long, tough runs), and metal pads are the answer. Problem is, not all brake calipers have a compatible metal pad option; the MT500 is one such model. Easiest solution is to swap out the calipers for M615 or M6000 Deore, which do take metal pads (and Ice Tech pad options with cooling fins) , which will plug straight onto the existing lines.