Brakes are squealing - after new pads installed, rotors cleaned, brakes bled...?

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Add-subtract-tweak-twerk...think of all the spots that bolt on and start shimming. It is about micro adjusting alignment.

Much like your biscuit tin mate, I made some tiny shims from an ice cream bucket millions of years ago in the days before post mount forks. Just needed to budge the brake over a tiny bit. Worked amazing.
Yeah I think I'll need to give this a go as it seems the pads are coming out slightly unevenly and pushing from one side more that the other causing rotor vibration. I'll try shim one side to see what happens.

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is the caliper centred on the rotor or bends it a little towards the caliper mount when grabbing a handful of brake. It might be one of those dynamic things that are hard to find or you may only hear a faint noise of rubbing. Just worth considering
Yeah the caliper is centred but as I mentioned above I think the pads are coming out slightly unevenly so I think you guys might have it nailed.

Cheers boys.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
If the pads are coming out one side only you've probably got a sticky piston.

Apparently a drop or 2 of mineral oil on the piston and gently work them in and out and that can solve the issue.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock

Apparently a drop or 2 of mineral oil on the piston and gently work them in and out and that can solve the issue.
One of the only brake problems I've was the lever being slow to release very rarely.

Only affected the front wheel so a quick pad removal and gentle de-dusting with a small paintbrush fixed it. Front caliper picks up more dust so the rear is still fine.

I didn't want to hit it with anything sticky that could hold more dust. It is that real fine powdery stuff that seems to be the problem and I didn't want it blow it in further with a compressor.

My rotors also needed a bit more space towards the outside of the caliper to centre it all. A few 1mm stainless steel washer fixed it. Never worried about it since.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I've used silicone spray to clean out in there before. I'm not sure it was the right move for the brake, but heaps of shit came out. Then I wiped it down and spurted a wee bit of the oil in.

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Yeah not sure about this one mate. That's the very stuff that will root your pads and with everything going on in there with all the braking and vibrations I reckon it's a prime way to bugger a set of pads. It's only very slightly and I've actually taken the caliper off, worked the pistons in and out and may have fixed it. It's all back on the bike. I've centred the rotors by eye and think I might shim the pad that isn't coming out as much if it continues after a few more rides. I think I'll also lightly sand down the pads as I mentioned earlier and bed them in again just to be sure.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
I certainly want talking about a heap of mineral oil. Just a drop or 2 to get them running smoothly again and a good wipe down on the outside to keep everything well and truly away from the pads!

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
So just to confirm you do this with new pads?
Not usually, I've only ever had noise from shimano pads after a fair whack of use.

Having said that though, I'd certainly give cooking them a shot, for the 10min it takes its worth a crack. I've gone down the cleaning/roughing the pads and rotors in the past with little to no result where cooking was an instant fix once I learnt about it.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk