Brand new ( just out the wrapper!)

FAC63

Squid
G’Day All
Wee bit scared coming on here as I’ve only got a Giant ATX1 HT but would like to get into the sport a bit more. Weekend warrior and I’m fortunate to live next to Red Hill ( seen a thread re another Red Hill user and will get on that thread , so I’m not a Billy no mates! )
Seeking advice on what to get as a step up to a full suspension bike (up to $2500). Got lots of bike envy seeing some of the machines out there and flummoxed where to start. Looked at 2nd hand on marketplace but looks like a minefield as the prices are nothing like on bike blue book. Been on Red Hill a few times and have only not come off once! Keen on building up skill set but want to make sure the bike is up to the job. All recommendations welcome and even the pi55 taking ! Cheers

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Welcome. Great trails around Red Hill. Plenty to progressively build your skills on. Hard to find much of value at the moment but there seem to be a lot of Giant Reigns on Bookface that might be ok value and slip into your price range. There is a pretty good scene out that way so maybe just chat with riders on the trails or see if chainbrain know of any bikes kicking around

FAC63

Squid
Welcome. Great trails around Red Hill. Plenty to progressively build your skills on. Hard to find much of value at the moment but there seem to be a lot of Giant Reigns on Bookface that might be ok value and slip into your price range. There is a pretty good scene out that way so maybe just chat with riders on the trails or see if chainbrain know of any bikes kicking around
Was in CB today, proper bike envy. Guy was really helpful but other customers came in and never got time to be even more of a tyre kicker. Reckoned look at Norco Fluid in my price range. Cheers.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Loads of people taking the piss with regards to used prices on FB right now. There's some decent prices but you have to know what you're looking for but there's plenty of people here that know their stuff and can help you.

Keep riding your bike and keep saving. Industry insiders are predicting a glut for 2022 so cash will be king!

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
^^^^^^^^ Ride your HT. Get most of your learning crashes out of the way on your HT. Read and learn lots from the 'burners banter, so when product availability and pricing becomes more reasonable, you will know more about what you are after. Bonus is that you will be a better rider, and your new steed won't get as trashed.

Or buy the fluid. It will work for you as a stop gap, until you are back here in 6 months, poorer, with 2 trashed learning bikes, looking for an upgrade.

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk

FAC63

Squid
^^^^^^^^ Ride your HT. Get most of your learning crashes out of the way on your HT. Read and learn lots from the 'burners banter, so when product availability and pricing becomes more reasonable, you will know more about what you are after. Bonus is that you will be a better rider, and your new steed won't get as trashed.

Or buy the fluid. It will work for you as a stop gap, until you are back here in 6 months, poorer, with 2 trashed learning bikes, looking for an upgrade.

Thanks for the advice.I’ll stock up on band aids in the meantime. Cheers all.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
Another good thing to learn on your beater, is maintenance. Cleaning, lubing, regreasing etc, is essential to the long term love affair you will have with your expensive bike(s) once you have quality. Learning the skills and techniques now, means you will be boss level by the time it matters.

FAC63

Squid
Another good thing to learn on your beater, is maintenance. Cleaning, lubing, regreasing etc, is essential to the long term love affair you will have with your expensive bike(s) once you have quality. Learning the skills and techniques now, means you will be boss level by the time it matters.

Good advice as I’ve seen the cost of servicing on the full suspension bikes. As a kid I’d put bikes together by getting old frames and wheels wherever I could find them. Bit different from the high tech stuff now.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
A couple of years ago $3000 would get you a pretty decent, new from the shop entry level duallie. Now with covid and what not it's probably more like $4500. The 2nd hand market is flooded with shit bikes people had put away covered in dust with worn drivetrains, unserviced suspension, and probably SRAM brakes.
If you factor in the cost of a new drivetrain, 600-800 plus servicing your suspension 500-600. That "cheap" 2nd hand bike is starting to get expensive.
Recently tried to help a mate in a similar situation to you buy a bike. Had a brand new Giant TranceX 2 lined up for him for $4200.
He went and bought a 4 year old Specialized Stumpjumper for the same money..with all of the above mentioned issues, then brought it over for me to get running better for him. Headslaps ensued.

Last edited:

FAC63

Squid
A couple of years ago $3000 would get you a pretty decent new from the shop entry level duallie. Now with covid and what not it's probably more like $4500. The 2nd hand market is flooded with shit bikes people had put away covered in dust with worn drivetrains, unserviced suspension, and probably SRAM brakes.
If you factor in the cost of a new drivetrain, 600-800 plus servicing your suspension 500-600. That "cheap" 2nd hand bike is starting to get expensive.
Recently tried to help a mate in a similar situation to you buy a bike. Had a brand new Giant TranceX 2 lined up for $4200.
He went and bought a 4 year old Specialized Stumpjumper for the same money..with all of the above mentioned issues... Then brought it over for me to get running better for him. Headslaps ensued.
Sage advice. I’ve been trawling the ads and there’s loads on there but not knowing my arse from my elbow, I’m in the dark. Hopefully when things get back to normality there’ll be a lot more new on offer. As my mum used to say ‘ buy cheap , pay dear’. Glad I found this site!

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Plus, were a massive bunch of enablers so that should help you out too! :p
Yeah it starts out all "Don't waste your money, just ride what you have..." - but a month from now:

"Yeah man, you I reckon you should buy the carbon Ripmo, and make sure you get full XTR driveline and the Fox Factory suspension..." :p

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sage advice. I’ve been trawling the ads and there’s loads on there but not knowing my arse from my elbow, I’m in the dark. Hopefully when things get back to normality there’ll be a lot more new on offer. As my mum used to say ‘ buy cheap , pay dear’. Glad I found this site!
My mum had a similar saying, "buy cheap, you buy twice"

Welcome to the crew, you'll love the trails at Redhill, there's plenty there and it'll get you fit with all the climbing.

Definitely wait to see what you really want, it takes time researching, riding, and demo'ing to get it "right", and even then it's a compromise in most cases. Even with the uber bikes you see people buying.

And when you do get something, keep it maintained. One of the most frustrating aspects is wheeling the bike out for some action only to find something is playing up.

Finally, body protection - get some. It doesn't always help but it can save the day when it does. Knees and elbows in particular (and shoulders).

Good luck and have fun.

FAC63

Squid
Yeah it starts out all "Don't waste your money, just ride what you have..." - but a month from now:

"Yeah man, you I reckon you should buy the carbon Ripmo, and make sure you get full XTR driveline and the Fox Factory suspension..." :p
Ha ha, that sounds like double Dutch to me at the mo, but expensive double Dutch !!!

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Actually thought about that although I've never ridden a full suspension, so not able to compare them as yet. Not that my basic HT would be a good comparison I'm sure !
I have but it was too small for me, felt nice though!

I just like the slow thrills of hardtail riding so I'll probably keep riding one until my knees say no or I can afford an Ibis Ripley AF!