Brand new ( just out the wrapper!)

FAC63

Squid
My mum had a similar saying, "buy cheap, you buy twice"

Welcome to the crew, you'll love the trails at Redhill, there's plenty there and it'll get you fit with all the climbing.

Definitely wait to see what you really want, it takes time researching, riding, and demo'ing to get it "right", and even then it's a compromise in most cases. Even with the uber bikes you see people buying.

And when you do get something, keep it maintained. One of the most frustrating aspects is wheeling the bike out for some action only to find something is playing up.

Finally, body protection - get some. It doesn't always help but it can save the day when it does. Knees and elbows in particular (and shoulders).

Good luck and have fun.
Definitely re the pads as knees copped it last time I went over the bars! Was asking in chainbrain but no bike stock for demos in my price range. Going to go to Red Hill at some point on the weekend. Where’d you reckon get the pads etc? Getting expensive this malarkey, ‘spose it’s cheaper than a Harley or MGB in my mid life crisis moment!

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Definitely re the pads as knees copped it last time I went over the bars! Was asking in chainbrain but no bike stock for demos in my price range. Going to go to Red Hill at some point on the weekend. Where’d you reckon get the pads etc? Getting expensive this malarkey, ‘spose it’s cheaper than a Harley or MGB in my mid life crisis moment!
Online retailers are best for pads etc. mtbdirect.com.au and pushys.com.au are good ones. It’s hard buying pads online because fit is important. My personal approach is that if I try things on in a shop (pads/shoes) then i will buy from the shop as long as it’s not a ridiculous amount more. I dont think its right to try on in store then buy online... that’s just me.

I would recommend some light pads to start with. I have some of the older style Dainese Trailskinbs and they are great for general trail riding and have even saved my knees on DH trails in the past (I have some heavier duty Ion pads now.

I used to have a set of fox elbow pads that were quite compact in size but would get pushed up my arm in a crash and still result in losing some bark off my forearm. I rock some longer Troy Lee elbow pads now that cover my elbow and run down my forearm. Much better

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
On protection, I tend to buy from the LBS. I can try it on and I've someone to talk to if I have an issue.

Don't expect high levels of expertise though, sometimes you'll get the work experience student trying to sell some product to you at the local store.

Knees and gloves first, then elbows. Presuming you've the helmet sorted already.

FAC63

Squid
On protection, I tend to buy from the LBS. I can try it on and I've someone to talk to if I have an issue.

Don't expect high levels of expertise though, sometimes you'll get the work experience student trying to sell some product to you at the local store.

Knees and gloves first, then elbows. Presuming you've the helmet sorted already.
Helmet sorted , definitely need pads and better gloves, as had road bike gloves ( that road bike fad was an expensive mistake! ) on recently but still saved a few layers of skin when I came off.

nathanm

Eats Squid
G’Day All
Wee bit scared coming on here as I’ve only got a Giant ATX1 HT but would like to get into the sport a bit more. Weekend warrior and I’m fortunate to live next to Red Hill ( seen a thread re another Red Hill user and will get on that thread , so I’m not a Billy no mates! )
Seeking advice on what to get as a step up to a full suspension bike (up to $2500). Got lots of bike envy seeing some of the machines out there and flummoxed where to start. Looked at 2nd hand on marketplace but looks like a minefield as the prices are nothing like on bike blue book. Been on Red Hill a few times and have only not come off once! Keen on building up skill set but want to make sure the bike is up to the job. All recommendations welcome and even the pi55 taking ! Cheers
2021 Polygon Vander T7 SE - Trail Mountain Bike | Bicycles Online (AU)

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Thanks for the advice.I’ll stock up on band aids in the meantime. Cheers all.
Got decent elbow and knee pads? Helps reduce/prevent gruesome injuries to those potentially expensive to fix joints ;)
also snug fitting gloves, the kool kids might ride gloveless, but the smart kids like having skin on their hands

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Mmm knee pads are something I should look at at some point actually.

These look pretty good - https://www.mtbdirect.com.au/ixs-flow-evo-knee-pads
You cant just drop a link about a certain kneepad... there are probably 50 threads about them on every MTB forum on the planet, a squillion online reviews and YouTube vids.

They are a very specific item, different leg shapes and fit. The best thing is to go try them on locally and sadly, never try on in a bricks and mortar shop and not buy... except for 99Bikes, that's acceptable.

Work out what you need, if its mainly protection for DH/enduro gnar, pedalling with max/med/light protection or just scuff pads.

Loads out there.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
You cant just drop a link about a certain kneepad... there are probably 50 threads about them on every MTB forum on the planet, a squillion online reviews and YouTube vids.

They are a very specific item, different leg shapes and fit. The best thing is to go try them on locally and sadly, never try on in a bricks and mortar shop and not buy... except for 99Bikes, that's acceptable.

Work out what you need, if its mainly protection for DH/enduro gnar, pedalling with max/med/light protection or just scuff pads.

Loads out there.
Fair point. I'll see if there's a thread on here and post my requirements.

moorey

call me Mia
Yeah it starts out all "Don't waste your money, just ride what you have..." - but a month from now:

"Yeah man, you I reckon you should buy the carbon Ripmo, and make sure you get full XTR driveline and the Fox Factory suspension..." :p
No one smart is recommending Fox and XTR.
Welcome @FAC63. Red Hill is a. Awesome place based on a few rides. Will be there the following weekend, and can’t wait.
If all your parts are working, you could swap them out to a used 26 duallie cheap AF if you have a yearning. Otherwise ride the ATX, build your skills and safe up some money.

moorey

call me Mia
Helmet sorted , definitely need pads and better gloves, as had road bike gloves ( that road bike fad was an expensive mistake! ) on recently but still saved a few layers of skin when I came off.
What size gloves? Sweet sales on XS and XL getting around if that size works.
Do you know pad size? Probably got spares you can have if the size is right.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
No one smart is recommending Fox and XTR.
As a rider that prefers Fox and Shimano, agreed.

XTR is pretty sweet but the VFM is non-existent unless you really value saving a few grams over XT. Same with the Fox-era Marzocchi products - they're like Fox's version of Shimano XT. Few more grams but just as good, and probably stronger and more reliable.

Anyway, joke > pedantics > semantics. :p

FAC63

Squid
What size gloves? Sweet sales on XS and XL getting around if that size works.
Do you know pad size? Probably got spares you can have if the size is right.
Hi Moorey, been on mtb direct from recommendation from another thread. Fox dirtpaw gloves for $40 on order. Again , no idea on pad type to get. Looking at some of the videos , I reckon cricket pads would be the way to go ! I’m 6ft with chicken legs so not sure of sizing, still finding my feet, so nothing too mental for me so far on the trails Happy to pay you if sizing is compatible. Cheers.

moorey

call me Mia
Some pads are only good for descending.
Some are light and comfortable to pedal in, but useless on a hard impact.
Some can do both pretty well, and opinions and preferences will vary.
I have numerous pairs, and choose the set that suit my planned ride for the day.
For something like a gravity enduro, where I need to pedal lots but still need protection, I use ION k-lite. They’re good enough for DH racing also.
For general trail riding, I use Fox launch enduro. Fine for stopping abrasion, but not a hard shell

FAC63

Squid
Some pads are only good for descending.
Some are light and comfortable to pedal in, but useless on a hard impact.
Some can do both pretty well, and opinions and preferences will vary.
I have numerous pairs, and choose the set that suit my planned ride for the day.
For something like a gravity enduro, where I need to pedal lots but still need protection, I use ION k-lite. They’re good enough for DH racing also.
For general trail riding, I use Fox launch enduro. Fine for stopping abrasion, but not a hard shell
Thanks for the advice. I’ll be looking at the fox then