Brindabella Challenge MTB - Feedback

Dr Dan

Cannon Fodder
I'm the guy responsible for setting the course for this year's Brindabella Challenge Mountainbike Race. Just want to know what riders thought of it.

Too long? Too short? Too much climbing?
What about the river crossing at the end?

Sorry, couldn't control the weather (it was a bit wet/windy/cold up high). Also note that there is no singletrack out in the Brindabella Mountains at present, so we have to make do with firetrails.

Not sure if the club (CORC) will run the event next year - a number of political issues require resolution. If we do, I'll probably be involved in setting the course again, and I'm keen to improve on this year's effort.

Other ideas for the future:
Short (25-30km), Medium (50-60km) and Long (100-120km) courses.
Team Trophy: riders nominate their team, team time = sum of first 3 riders, separate category for "factory" teams.

Thoughts?

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't know about the cross country but I was in the observed trials and would just like to thank Craig Pearce for putting together an excellent course!

dilemma

girl+bike
Hey Dr Dan,

Overall I was throroughly impressed by the organisation of the whole Brindabella Challenge and associated events - Awesome job by everyone in weather conditions that could have sent a lesser organised event into mayhem!

As for the course...
If you want the honest truth, I didn't like it at all...:( :eek:
Granted it's the Brindabella Challenge, so it has to be in the Brindabella ranges & it has to be a 'challenge'...

I thought there was too much climbing, too much firetrail (but you have explained that), scenery was dead burnt trees (you obviously couldn't help that either but it didn't make for that interesting a ride)...

I guess fair enough a tough course for the elite racers, however for an event which aimed to be inclusive of a wide range of cycling abilities (the Brindabella Challenge as a whole) I think either a revised course or distance options would make for a ride which is much more appealing to recreational MTBers, not just elite racers... who knows - this may be someone's first introduction to MTB racing, and they could either hate it or love it?

Having said that, I thought the volunteers/marshalls did a fantastic job, the event was well run and everyone generally seemed to have a good time despite the cold, rain and wind.

I liked the river crossing, my feet actually felt warmer after going through the water than they had been for the whole race prior to that!

Perhaps more signage could have been placed out on course? there were a few spots where people weren't sure if they were going the right way or not.

(Maybe my experience of the course is tainted by the fact that I had done very little training before the race and had a pretty bad case of the flu!):D