Bringing a bike overseas?

peachy

Ripe 'n ready!
Hey has anyone every brought their bike overseas? What is involved with doing this? Obviously u need to box it and take certain things apart, but when you arrive at your destination do they put some sort of tax on it? And when u return to australia will they tax you on the bike if they think u bought it there??
whats the deal help a brother out :lol:

S.

ex offender
Helps if you can show that it's your own bike and that it's 2nd hand (ie you haven't just bought it in a certain country to get it cheaper), that way no taxes/tariffs apply.

lindsay

Likes Dirt
Nah they just try and rip you off big time with excess baggage. For my trip overseas the airline wants to charge me $80 a kg if i go over 35kg with my baggage.

karl

Likes Dirt
l have brought 2 home so far from the US. one 2nd hand and a new one both times it wasnt a problem, straight through, customs were more concerned about if it had any dirt on it. take some old tyres to chuck on your rims and some shit stickers that you have all ready skagged up before you put them on your new bike. be aware of your baggage limit it (will tell you on your ticket), l flew qantas and japan airlines and both times brought them back as luggage, fill your bags with cheap parts too and send me some!!!!

rockyash

Likes Dirt
I have been overseas on several occasions racing BMX and never got hit up to pay any tax.
I got a bag made up that fits around the box that the bikes come in at the bike shop. I just go to the local bike shop before i leave and they give me a cardboard box.
I just take off my front wheel, pedals and handle bars and it fits straight in. Then just pull the bag over the box and zip it up, you can then sling the straps over your shoulder and walk it through the airport. Obviously a mountain bike would be a bit bigger and heavier.
The only problem is that the airline usually hits you up for some sort of freight, everytime it has been different for me. From $20 - $80 each way. If your lucky its not too bad but I can get a bit exy...

msbhvn

Likes Bikes
Make sure your bike is clean, under no circumstances try to bring a muddy bike back into australia. The last thing you want is to have customs people angry with you.

rockyash

Likes Dirt
I had a run in with customs on my way home from France, they made me pull my bike out and clean all the dirt off my bike. They recon it was to prevent carring foot and mouth disease to Australia, which could kill a lot of livestock or some shit.

bazza

look at me
free

i was talking to a road guy that just came back from brisbane via plane and he said that Virgin do free bike travel, you have to have it packed in a box and everthing though...duh. i hope that still acounts for 20kg dh bikes though