Brisbane ride

julie

Likes Bikes
Hi,

Welcome to Brissie :)
Are you looking for XC trails or DH trails? We have some really good trails for both. For XC riding go to Mt Coot-tha in The Gap or try Bunya trails out near Ferny Hills. We also have a new MTB park that opened at near Boonah called Mt Joyce MTB park. Its a longer trip in the car to get there (approx. 1 hr in the car) but I think its worth it. Lots of trails there from beginner to advanced and the DH tracks out there are meant to be really good (built by Nathan Rennie) but not accessible yet :( The other XC trails we have are south of the city called Daisy Hill. It's in the area of Logan I think. You should be able to read up on all the trails i've mentioned on the Council website. Definately go to Mt Coot-tha, heaps of fun, lots of trails, friendly people everywhere and lots of MTB clubs do weekly social rides there, if your looking to ride with others.
For Downhilling, there is Clear Mt which is near Samford. The start of the track is off to the side of the bitchmen road called Clear Mountain rd. There is a small turn around area at the top of the mountain this is where the track is. The area is full of rich properties. There is also Tamborine Mt down at the Gold Coast, this long DH track is fun with a few flat spots but is 4WD access only. There is also Outlooks down there too, which I also don't know the name of the road its on. There is a few trails there, 1 with mega massive jumps for freestyle riding. If you are insane and super awesome at jumps then give them a go. Beerburrum also just got rebuilt and approved as a legal trail. It has a proper name for it now but I can't remember it, sorry. Beerburrm council website might have more details. For that track drive along Steve Irwin Way. We also have Kenilworth which is a very awesome DH track but is on a private property so we only get to ride it on race days or when Gravity MTB Club organise an open day there. The same goes with Illinbah. However the track has been partly ruined and not accessible, so waiting to hear from the Gold Coast MTB club about that trail. The only other DH track I can think of is Mapelton, but because of all the rain at the beginning of the year I have been told its been reuined and not rideable currently. It needs some TLC before its riden again.

I recommend joining a club if you can and they will help you out with more info. Especially with DH riding, clubs have control of access to some DH trails. Gravity MTB club, Gold Coast MTB club or Ashgrove Cycles (D'Aguilar Range MTB Club) are good ones to join.

Hope this was of help and contact me if you need any other info on riding. I ride XC and DH but only race DH. The girls that race up here are all really nice and friendly so even if you don't race, come spectate and introduce yourself.

Julie :)

julie

Likes Bikes
Hi,

Welcome to Brissie :)
Are you looking for XC trails or DH trails? We have some really good trails for both. For XC riding go to Mt Coot-tha in The Gap or try Bunya trails out near Ferny Hills. We also have a new MTB park that opened at near Boonah called Mt Joyce MTB park. Its a longer trip in the car to get there (approx. 1 hr in the car) but I think its worth it. Lots of trails there from beginner to advanced and the DH tracks out there are meant to be really good (built by Nathan Rennie) but not accessible yet :( The other XC trails we have are south of the city called Daisy Hill. It's in the area of Logan I think. You should be able to read up on all the trails i've mentioned on the Council website. Definately go to Mt Coot-tha, heaps of fun, lots of trails, friendly people everywhere and lots of MTB clubs do weekly social rides there, if your looking to ride with others.
For Downhilling, there is Clear Mt which is near Samford. The start of the track is off to the side of the bitchmen road called Clear Mountain rd. There is a small turn around area at the top of the mountain this is where the track is. The area is full of rich properties. There is also Tamborine Mt down at the Gold Coast, this long DH track is fun with a few flat spots but is 4WD access only. There is also Outlooks down there too, which I also don't know the name of the road its on. There is a few trails there, 1 with mega massive jumps for freestyle riding. If you are insane and super awesome at jumps then give them a go. Beerburrum also just got rebuilt and approved as a legal trail. It has a proper name for it now but I can't remember it, sorry. Beerburrm council website might have more details. For that track drive along Steve Irwin Way. We also have Kenilworth which is a very awesome DH track but is on a private property so we only get to ride it on race days or when Gravity MTB Club organise an open day there. The same goes with Illinbah. However the track has been partly ruined and not accessible, so waiting to hear from the Gold Coast MTB club about that trail. The only other DH track I can think of is Mapelton, but because of all the rain at the beginning of the year I have been told its been reuined and not rideable currently. It needs some TLC before its riden again.

I recommend joining a club if you can and they will help you out with more info. Especially with DH riding, clubs have control of access to some DH trails. Gravity MTB club, Gold Coast MTB club or Ashgrove Cycles (D'Aguilar Range MTB Club) are good ones to join.

Hope this was of help and contact me if you need any other info on riding. I ride XC and DH but only race DH. The girls that race up here are all really nice and friendly so even if you don't race, come spectate and introduce yourself.

Julie :)
Forgot to mention, that there is also DH tracks out at Toowoomba and Ipswich. If your keen on learning more about them, let me know and i'll give you more details. Both these tracks are really good and fun. Ipswich is short and simple, while Toowoomba is long and challening.

Julie

Wow! Thanks for the tips. Mt Coo-tha is pretty cool. Had a great time there. Haven't had much time to look at clubs and stuff but will probably get my but into gear when I settle in. XC is my thing. I love it so much. Is there a calendar for races around Brisbane? I am really enjoying here, thanks for the help.

julie

Likes Bikes
Great to hear you enjoyed Mt Coot-tha, I love that place too. With racing there is the Sunshine Series that includes XC and DH racing. Click on this link for more details
http://www.kwt.net.au/view/page/364.html
Most of the races have already been done, but there is still Mt Crosby left with the XC racing.

QLD also does heaps of 4hr, 6hr and 12hr races for xc and enduro races if your interested, which I think is organised by Two Wheel Promotions. You should be abe to google them.

Hope this helps and goodluck with it all. Have fun :)

Julie

Early spin

Thanks for the ride this morning Justine. The city lights looked awesome! Your new bike looks great. The SLR's go great with the Yeti. Have to ride again soon.

Thanks

To the girl who stopped for a chat and told me about the trails ahead. The look on your boyfriend's face when he was watching me fix my bike. Like he had never seen a girl change a tube. People here are so friendly.