Training Log Brisneys training bullshit (and endurance racing experiences).

brisneyland

Likes Dirt
I'm doing the SDBC later this year. It's going to be a bastard and I need to get fit.

I'm in my early 30's and not unfit, but endurance racing is like nothing I've ever done - I raced DH back in the day and a 5 minute race run was considered long.

Anyway, I've engaged an online coach (MTB James) to help me out. He's got me on a program of intervals and weights sessions. My motivation to actually train though isn't high - it's just so bloody boring! There is at least a degree of accountability but I'd love you guys on here to hassle me a bit as well for extra motivation!

I'm in recovery mode right now - I did the Dusk Till Dawn 12 hour (Strava link) on the weekend and it was fucking hard. I managed 9 laps/99km. Hopefully I wasn't dead last but some of those fast guys are freaks - churning out 30 minute laps all night! Some mad bastard did 17 laps!

I have a very long way to go on the fitness front.

I'm pretty sore right now - arse and neck mostly. I'd like to do a gentle recovery ride but I don't think my arse can take it. I get a very neck sore neck and traps after long sessions on the bike - anyone else experience this? Can I alter my setup to help or is it a strength issue?

Anyway, I'll be checking in here on a regular basis - if I don't post up here and hassle me, or PM me!

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Good on you mate. That's awesome to hear.
I know what you mean about the sore neck and a friend once gave me some good advice that worked for me.
He said "When you are grinding and hurting, don't forget to relax your jaw, and relax your face muscles, then your shoulders".
Actually make a conscious effort every now and then to take note of your jaw and face and I gurantee that you'll quite often find yourself with a clenched up face muscles, and shoulders.

Consciously relaxing your whole face and jaw actually helps your breathing and your whole body also tends to follow, relaxing your shoulders helps your arms act like suspension and move naturally with the bike.
The tight shoulders transfers all the shock, vibration and stresses to your neck and back. A really good time to concentrate on relaxing these three points is on seated climbing.

Loosen up, stay relaxed. You'll be able to ride harder for longer.

*Note - All this advice is from an armchair expert. Never raced a day, never seen a training program through, I'm overweight, and possiobly about as slow as you could be as a cyclist. However, these tips do work for me.

brisneyland

Likes Dirt
Interesting - I actually remembered thinking, as I was grinding up some rocky, snotty, **nt of a climb in the wee hours of the morning that I must look like a retard with my face so grimaced and clenched. I'll give that one a go - thanks mate.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
It's funny because it is so counterintuitive.
Legs burning, lungs aching, head spinning, hands deathlocked on grips... face relaxed like a man on morphine.

notime

Likes Dirt
I was planning on doing the SDBC this year but in the end I couldn't justify the expense.

I'm not motivated to train but I love big rides especially places I don't know and never ridden before. Your going to need to get big kilometres into your body to withstand the conditions. My advice to make training bearable is to map out big fire trail and road rides in different places working your distance up as much as you can, this way the training is interesting and it should be fun. Get others along that are a bit quicker than you if possible so you push outside your own comfort zone.

Racing like you did in the D2D is great because your pushing yourself and spending quality time on the saddle, find as many races as you can. As Summer is ending try and get out on the really hot days and do some long rides and see how you cope, before October you won't have much opportunity do that.