broken shoulder

showbags

Likes Dirt
i have recently broken my shoulder and am not able to ride for 3 months. i was just wondering if any on had any suggestions on what i could do to keep up my fitness and strength with out doing any more damage.
thanks

UncleFeet

Likes Dirt
sorry to hear that brother...stay positive! Speaking to a physiotherapist is probably a good idea...and set up a trainer and keep spinning...also, AMB had an article about just your dilemma a few of months ago...

Last edited:
I agree don't push it too early but:

- Exercise bike for stamina until you can jog. Then jog.
- Get a hard rubber ball around the size of tennis ball and clench it in your fist 100+ times a day. This stops the muscles you use to grip the bars and your forearms from wasting too fast. Make sure you isolate your shoulder so it's not moving. Do both arms.
- Riding uses a lot of core muscles. If your shoulder is screwer then sit ups will upset it. Try doing exercises where you keep your back and shoulders on the floor, lock in your stomach muscles and lift your legs up off the floor a few inches and hold. You can do variations on this slowly raising and lowering or slowly spreading your legs. Make sure you aren't arching your back - it should all be stomach.

- Start physio as early as you can (try and find a hot one).

I had a broken collarbone and seperated shoulder a few months back and this stuff helped me when I got back on the bike.

In any recovery pain is your guide. If exercises start to hurt the injury stop.

Good Luck!

0psi

Eats Squid
+ 1 for the stationary trainer. I actually love mine, got one for the hell of it and have found I spend a fair amount of time on it. You could sit on the couch and watch TV after work of sit on your bike and spin away for a bit.

Alan 4Runner

Cannon Fodder
I agree don't push it too early but:

- Exercise bike for stamina until you can jog. Then jog.
- Get a hard rubber ball around the size of tennis ball and clench it in your fist 100+ times a day. This stops the muscles you use to grip the bars and your forearms from wasting too fast. Make sure you isolate your shoulder so it's not moving. Do both arms.
- Riding uses a lot of core muscles. If your shoulder is screwer then sit ups will upset it. Try doing exercises where you keep your back and shoulders on the floor, lock in your stomach muscles and lift your legs up off the floor a few inches and hold. You can do variations on this slowly raising and lowering or slowly spreading your legs. Make sure you aren't arching your back - it should all be stomach.

- Start physio as early as you can (try and find a hot one).

I had a broken collarbone and seperated shoulder a few months back and this stuff helped me when I got back on the bike.

In any recovery pain is your guide. If exercises start to hurt the injury stop.

Good Luck!
Good info here ^^^
Like everyone is saying, you can get a cheap exercise bike and that will help keep your cardiovascular fitness up but then you still have to consider all the other muscles involved.

Also see if you can incorporate some deep squats as well as they will be good to keep the strength in your legs on top of the cardio..
Good luck with recovery!

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It really depends a bit on the bit you broke.

Personal experience includes collar bones -3, coracoclavicular ligament avulsion, GT of humerus and split spine of scapula. If the injury could be worsened by riding, then you can't do it, but if you are lucky, riding may not hurt more than not riding.

Longest time off any bike for all the above was 3 weeks. The clavicles were the worst for riding in the early stages (while clicking). Somehow the forward brace riding position does not seem to put that much strain on the shoulders.

The series of exercises listed above was very good.

Good luck and "riding" after injury does not mean balls to the wall.

driftking

Wheel size expert
Awsome advice here so far.
deffinatly squats,calf raises, stretch what ever muscles you can to keep up flexibility. Any core workouts you can do which will not affect your shoulder will be important.forearm workout using tennis balls or similar.
cardio do what you can on a trainner but as mentioned keep your shoulder well suported.

As already said pain should never be ignored and use it as a guide if you feel any pain stop and talk to your physio before continuing.

Id say there is plenty of good info here but most importantly I would not reccomend you do anything until you talk to a physio, they will give you the dos and dont's whith some good tips on maximizing recovery and keeping fit.'

Last edited: