Broken spoken

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Had a spoke replaced a couple of months ago and wheel trued. Just had 2 spokes go again today. Anyone recommend a wheel fixer in Brisbane? I am about 90kg all kitted up. Are the odds I will keep breaking spokes and should completely replace the wheel?

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't

I found these guys helpful, professional and I haven't destroyed the wheelset they built me so I'm saying they're good.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Jimmy at Bikeology gets a good wrap, never used him personally.

Ash at Highgearacing is good also but he’s up the Sunny coast now. Believe he does pick ups / drop offs to Brisbane a couple of evenings a week though.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Had a spoke replaced a couple of months ago and wheel trued. Just had 2 spokes go again today. Anyone recommend a wheel fixer in Brisbane? I am about 90kg all kitted up. Are the odds I will keep breaking spokes and should completely replace the wheel?
Where are the spokes breaking?
Are they all the same side?
How does the overall spoke tension feel if you squeeze pairs of spokes?

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Josh at XLR8 Wheels in Lennox Head has been doing my wheels for a few years. He's sort of connected to Cyclinic in some way that might be helpful?

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks everyone, seems like there's a few options around.

Where are the spokes breaking?
Are they all the same side?
How does the overall spoke tension feel if you squeeze pairs of spokes?
Had a look this morning and one broke at the nipple and the other broke at the hub. Didn't check if they were same side though.
I'm not sure what to look for when squeezing them to say whether they feel good or bad.

creaky

XMAS Plumper

Had a look this morning and one broke at the nipple and the other broke at the hub. Didn't check if they were same side though.
I'm not sure what to look for when squeezing them to say whether they feel good or bad.
When one goes, it can stress the other spokes. If another couple go, like yours, then it's time for a rebuild, ideally with new spokes and nipples.

That'll cost you probably $120(?) for a rebuild with a basic set of spokes. Up to you whether that is a better outcome than a new wheel.

bear the bear

Is a real bear

Looking for even tension when squeezing the spokes on each side of the wheel.
If the tension is out it will contribute to spokes breaking

T-Rex

Template denier
You could have a go at swapping out the spokes one at a time, worst case if you screw it up you just need someone to true and tension it, which is going to be cheaper than a complete wheel build.

Flow-Rider

Burner

Have you got any other MTB wheels around to check against, you can also do a pluck test and listen to the ring of the spoke. there's a phone app for it somewhere, it's a bit rough but you'll know if the spokes are miles out of spec.
Please don't tell me that they're Zelvey rims ?

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have you got any other MTB wheels around to check against, you can also do a pluck test and listen to the ring of the spoke. there's a phone app for it somewhere, it's a bit rough but you'll know if the spokes are miles out of spec.
Please don't tell me that they're Zelvey rims ?
They are just the factory Duroc wheels that came with the bike. I think they are rebadged Sun Ringles.

Flow-Rider

Burner
They are just the factory Duroc wheels that came with the bike. I think they are rebadged Sun Ringles.
The older Zelveys were known to break a few spokes.

Spokes can break from many causes. I popped a few on a second hand wheelset that I had bought and replaced a few spokes as they went, I did buy a full set of spokes to replace them all but got lazy, never changed them over and that was about 20000kms ago.

Every wheelset I've owned from new or built up I've retentioned or checked the spokes after the first 100kms and then roughly every 1000kms after, haven't broken not one spoke on them yet.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Previously I took the wheel to a well known mtb shop in Brisbane to have the spokes replaced and get it trued.
Just took it to Craftworx and they said if one goes and you replace it and nothing happens after a couple of months then all is good.
If more go then replace them all. They also said the other spokes were massively undertensioned.
Cost is $150 plus about $15 for tape if it needs it.

Flow-Rider

Burner
If they've been left loose for a while they will be pretty much toast as it makes the spoke fatigue faster, broken at the elbo of the spoke is a good indication of loose spokes. Getting good quality spokes for a decent price is the problem in Australia, which usually negates the replacing of spokes on a lot of wheels. It's not a hard job to replace them at home, plenty of online resources.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Is there a specific tension spokes should be tightened to? And how do you deal with bladed spokes?

I've got 14,000km on DT Swiss wheels and haven't really thought about until now

Flow-Rider

Burner
@mas2 out of interest...what brand of wheel are they?
Can you read already asked ? :)
Is there a specific tension spokes should be tightened to? And how do you deal with bladed spokes?

I've got 14,000km on DT Swiss wheels and haven't really thought about until now
Most hoops have a recommendation tension from the manufacturer, you can use that as a rough guide as long as you don't go over it.

• Love
Reactions: Zaf