Broken Stiffy

hazza6542

Eats Squid
So I tried using it for the first time and broke my stiffy, bit disappointed because I didn't get to go out for a proper ride. Now I have to use rubbers.

Puns aside, bought a set of Spank Stiffy rims and on the first ride the lip of the rim bent and meant no more tubeless (insert erectile dysfunction pun). After getting a bike shop to pull the dent out as much as they could I've gone through two DH Maxxis tubes. Both times they've burst I haven't hit anything hard, today I ripped a fat hole though a DH tube rolling down fire road. I haven't had problems like this with other rims, and my front rim is holding up fine, haven't touched it since it first got set up with tubeless.

Anyone got any ideas about it? I've had a look and where the shop has pulled the lip out it's all grazed up metal, do I possibly have shards of metal floating around in there and will I still be able to seal a tubeless tire with a bent lip?

ChopSticks

Banned
hard to say without pictures.... usually tubeless tyres can still seal up fine on dented rims.......

did you buy these rims/wheels locally??

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Laced to hopes by CRC. I'll try to get a photo of them now after being pulled out a bit. They're 40mm OD rims, I bought them specifically for tubeless and for when tubeless failed a much lower chance of pinch flats. These things are huge and I'm getting more flats than my old shitty rims the bike came with. Just sent an email to Spank asking about warranty and what not.

The original dent was beyond a standard ding in a rim, it was pushing the tire bead off of the rim.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Rims with 40mm OD, are you using massive tyres to match?

Only issue I can see is the super wide rims is that they are more exposed to dings and strikes, thats my musings as to what may be contributing.

ChopSticks

Banned
Less rubber width means the side walls of the rims are more exposed
And have less meat (rubber) for it to compress down on

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Less rubber width means the side walls of the rims are more exposed
And have less meat (rubber) for it to compress down on
Makes sense, cheers. 2.5s will be enough, hopefully? Maybe I should bring back the days of 3" tires and just be the coolest kid out.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Had a look at there website / PDF, they recommend 2.1 - 3 sized tyres, so it's probably not tyre size.

ALthough I've got 35mm OD Zelvys, a mates running 40mm OD derbys, we have both noticed more things hitting the rims, but not 'dingings' from the tyres compessing.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
They're actually perfect aesthetically so far, if it every dies I'll buy another one. Spanks site says warranty is ruined if it's been reworked. I'm assuming I'm right in thinking that getting the LBS to pull it out a bit counts as reworking. Just had a little go a tapping it out rather than pulling, looks a bit better. For an idea of the original dent, push the lip in so it's well over the yellow rim tape. It was nasty.

Hopefully can get some LUST tires tomorrow and test it out, lost the bloody valve thing and lost my bottle of stans and god damn wheels... Anyone care to educate me on TR, EXO, LUST etc from Maxxis tires? I've read the website I know what everything means but hearing personal experiences would be appreciated.

Best I could do in bad light, you can see it's still a little off straight but hopefully tubeless will work again. Just in case, it's where it's all scratched and silver..

redbruce

Eats Squid
They're actually perfect aesthetically so far, if it every dies I'll buy another one. Spanks site says warranty is ruined if it's been reworked. I'm assuming I'm right in thinking that getting the LBS to pull it out a bit counts as reworking. Just had a little go a tapping it out rather than pulling, looks a bit better. For an idea of the original dent, push the lip in so it's well over the yellow rim tape. It was nasty.

Hopefully can get some LUST tires tomorrow and test it out, lost the bloody valve thing and lost my bottle of stans and god damn wheels... Anyone care to educate me on TR, EXO, LUST etc from Maxxis tires? I've read the website I know what everything means but hearing personal experiences would be appreciated.

Best I could do in bad light, you can see it's still a little off straight but hopefully tubeless will work again. Just in case, it's where it's all scratched and silver..

Lateral (side to side) runout looks to be OK after repair. What is the radial (more specifically variation in internal rim sidewall height relative to rim floor where bead seats) like?

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Pretty good, the lip is high enough it didn't bent where the bead sits. Tires hopefully arriving tomorrow or Sat at the latest and will give it a go.

Was 40mm over kill? Was looking for something strong and less likely to bend and defeated it. Killed a tubeless tire and a bunch of tubes too. Getting close to just running two tubes and going back to having an invincible 3kg rim.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Got this from Spank, nice to see they're still trying to help after I acknowledged I broke the terms and cond. over warranty.

'Hi Hamish,

Could you please offer us the serial number from the inside of your rim, and a photo of the issue?

Thanks, '

Serial number on the rim is where? Hoping it's not under the stans and std. rim tape. Really don't feel like having to buy more. Duct tape hold up?

hazza6542

Eats Squid
That's handy, stans tape is barely wider than the rim tape anyway, doesn't actually cover the whole base of the rim, they're wide as hell.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Just got tires today, sealed up OK but was a bitch to do. Instead of using stans tape used some decently thick tape half the width of the rim twice across the rim to cover everything and even across the separation in the rim, it's not welded and apparently they're prone to air leaks. Sealed up with a servo compressor ok, the big dent wouldn't seal with a floor pump just pissed out air.

Will talk with Spank some more and see if there's anything they can help with getting the dent a bit flatter without harming the rim, it bent so easily but won't budge now. Leaving the wheels off of the bike at 40psi until Saturday, hopefully no leaks and see how we go.