Bruce Ridge ACT

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
That kooky log jump is back to kooky again.
Why wasn't more effort put in to making a longer down ramp? Half the work had been done from what I'd seen. Then it's all been removed, and replaced with a few logs that are nearly verticle, and you'd have to ride at walking pace to use. It's a jump, not a technical obstacle. Having a long down ramp would cater to any skill level. Nobody will want to jump to flat on a sub 5" dually. The tracks must cater to everyone, not just the trail workers ability.
A big jump like that with such a silly slow downramp is very dangerous IMO.
And I placed some little logs behind some silly little water bars that were made before it.
No point disturbing dirt, to make a little mound that'll get flattened and erode in no time. Only disturb soil if it's to be built to last. My cures with the logs aren't ideal either, but they'll last. I just didn't have any decent tools with me.
I'll try to come to the next working bee. I heard the switch back work is good, didn't see it myself.
Sorry to sound negative, and still thanks to everyone making an effort.

Last edited:

shirtz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There was a general consensus following the trail assessment last weekend that the northshore which recently appeared at the top of the DH track presents too great a risk to riders (in addition to being an illegal construction). It was agreed that we would offer those responsible for the construction the first option to remove the northshore.

Personally, I am really keen to keep a fun little DH track like this going (either in BR or nearby), but stuff like this will see all the really fun tracks shut down.

If you (or someone you know) built this northshore at Bruce Ridge, can you please PM me or reply here to discuss the removal. Otherwise, I'll head out to post a more formal removal notice (attached below).
View attachment 199051

View attachment 199052
was my mate that built it with me. plan was to build a down ramp etc, i told him it wouldnt last long but he is a keen bean. will pass on the info. The berm work has also been done buy us, which hopefully more to peoples tastes.

Last edited:

No Skid Marks

was my mate that built it with me. plan was to build a down ramp etc, i told him it wouldnt last long but he is a keen bean. will pass on the info. The berm work has also been done buy us, which hopefully more to peoples tastes.
I encourage you not to do anymore work there without being part of the working group. You'll put all tracks in jeopardy if you do. and please, never build any wooden stuff on MTB tracks ever again unless on private property, it usually involves little skill to ride, and gives MTBing a bad name as the rest of the popultaion see it as an eye sore.
The burm work is good, but that part of the track is aparently in a sensative area, and may have to end up going. Shame, and a reason why it's often good to work with the powers that be, so you get the full picture, and don't waste valuable time and effort in building. Don't loose faith, just play the game.

Last edited:

Kramer

FoBR
Shirtz - If you are keen to have a DH track at Bruce Ridge then get onto the FoBR site. More people need to stand up for the DH track, as it is going to need some (official) work to make it environmentally sustainable.
As No Skid Marks said, please don't do any more trail work at Bruce Ridge. We will have another official FoBR working bee happening in June. It is likely we will have to reroute the middle section of the DH track, so any interested DH riders should get involved and have their say.

shirtz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Shirtz - If you are keen to have a DH track at Bruce Ridge then get onto the FoBR site. More people need to stand up for the DH track, as it is going to need some (official) work to make it environmentally sustainable.
As No Skid Marks said, please don't do any more trail work at Bruce Ridge. We will have another official FoBR working bee happening in June. It is likely we will have to reroute the middle section of the DH track, so any interested DH riders should get involved and have their say.
thanks for the info, please let me know when the next meeting is!

Kramer

FoBR
Trail Maintenance - Sunday 19 June

The next trail maintenance day at Bruce Ridge has been set. We are just waiting on the final approval from PCS (should be no dramas).

Sunday 19 June 2011
8am-3pm
Canberra Stadium east car park (near GDE underpass)

If you can, please bring usual trail tools, and wheel barrows would also be really useful for this session. Also bring hat, water, food, and other sensible stuff.

More details check the Friends of Bruce Ridge site.

Kramer

FoBR
Bump this up!
All is go for trail work at Bruce Ridge on Sunday. PCS are keen and will be there to assist.
Hope to see as many people out to dig, as I do crusing there on any normal Sunday.

Kramer

FoBR
Sunday 17 July - Trail Maintenance

The next trail maintenance day at Bruce Ridge is set to go this Sunday.

Sunday 17 July 2011
8am -3pm
Canberra Stadium east car park (near GDE underpass)

If you can, please bring trail tools and wheel barrows again for this session.
Don't forget to bring hat (probably a warm one!), water, food, and other sensible stuff.

Check the Friends of Bruce Ridge (FoBR) site for more details.

Kramer

FoBR
Bump!
All set for another day of trail maintenance at Bruce Ridge on Sunday - hope to see some of you there (the weather forecast looks promising).
We will be out from 8am to 3pm, although you are welcome to come along for just part of the day.
The plan is to continue works on the North Western area within Bruce Ridge Nature Reserve.

BTW - is it just me or is trail work going berserk in Canberra ATM?

Blingerific

Likes Dirt
How good was that shower?

A lot was achieved today, a good number of willing participants showed up and put in.

My hands are no longer yellow either ;)

Cheers!
Mullet
Time to report to the couch and stay there me thinks...:eek:

Kramer

FoBR
Sunday 4 Sept - Trail Maintenance

The next Bruce Ridge working bee will be Sunday 4 September 8am - 3pm.

Meeting point will be the dirt carkpark behind Calvary Hospital.

Hope to see some of you out digging. You don't have to be there for the whole day, any time you can offer is great.

Kramer

FoBR
Start time now 9am!

The start time for the Bruce Ridge working bee on Sunday is now 9am (due to Dads wanting their Father's Day sleep in).
Some new trail will be built over on the Calvary side, so will be fun!

Hope to see you there.

Kramer

FoBR
A great day's trail work yesterday at Bruce Ridge. A smallish turn out due to Father's Day, Bigfoot race and Gungahlin DJ works all on the same day.
The team of 6 managed to cut almost a kilometer of new trail, which will replace two predominantly fall-line trails, and also reduce the density of trail in this particular area (both issues concerning PCS). The new trail still needs a bit of tidying up and bedding in, although the usual post-work rain will help.

Thanks heaps to Walter, Ria, Geoff, Anthony and Mullet for their huge efforts.

The next working bee is scheduled for Sunday 16 October. We will be doing some weed control work and a bit of trail work. PCS will have people one site with us to identify and advise on the removal of weeds, but this will also be a good opportunity to discuss recent and future trail works.

shirtz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
been off the bike for a while. will hopefully come to the next one with my mate, be good to lend a hand. well done guys.

Kramer

FoBR
November Drinking Bee

We figured everyone has been slaving away too much at Bruce Ridge, so it's time to enjoy our efforts.
This month we will be putting down the shovels and rakehoes, and picking up the bikes and beers for our first drinking bee.

Saturday 19 November
2.30pm - Meet at the AIS underpass for ~ 2 hours of riding
4.30pm - Arrive at All Bar Nun for an hour or so of cider, beer, food and discussion

Please remember to wear appropriate protective gear, ride sensibly, keep under 0.05 if you are riding home, and don't spill beer into your camelbak.

Hope to see you there!

Kramer

FoBR
Working Bee tomorrow - Sunday 4 December

Date: Sunday 4 December
Time: 9:00am - 3:00pm
Meeting Location: Calvary Carpark
Work Location: Western (Calvary) side of Bruce Ridge near around new culvert
What to Bring: Your favourite trail tools, also mattocks, picks or fencing bars would be good too as we will be closing some old trail sections.
As usual, please bring food, water, hat and sturdy footwear.

Kramer

FoBR
February Working Bee

Sunday 5th Feb 2012
8am-12pm
Meet at the Calvary underpass (opposite emergency)
Bring tools - digging and pruning.

The greenery has been growing a bit too much lately and as such there will be a bit of a focus on pruning some sight lines.
Other works will include fixing up some things around the culvert and some trail closures.

Kramer

FoBR
March Working Bee

Date: Saturday 3rd March 2012
Time: 8am-12pm
Meeting Location: At the small carpark just off Belconnen Way, first left about 500m after Gungahlin Drive (D9 on Bruce Ridge map).
What to Bring: Your favourite trail tools, particularly fire rakes, mattocks, shovels, leaf rakes and wheel barrows (if possible) would be good.
As usual, please bring food, water, hat and sturdy footwear.
Planned work Areas:
Add more rocks to finish the new rock bridge on the inner loop (E6)
Realign link to inner loop (D/E8)
Improve drainage at switchbacks (E8, D8 & F9)
Outslope and trail edge reenforcing along outer loop near Belco Way (D8 to H8)

Gsutton

Squid
Getting involved with volunteering and Trail Work at Bruce Ridge?

Hi guys,

I understand I'm a bit behind that eight-ball on this (given the age of this thread), but I'm pretty keen to get involved in the Friends of Bruce Ridge group. It's my local trails, I was delighted to see the tracks formalised and I'd love to be able to put something back into the area that makes me so happy...

I've had a quick look around, but not sure how to get in touch with the group and join/express my interest.

Can anyone guide me on this?

Thanks and happy trails!

No Skid Marks

Hi guys,

I understand I'm a bit behind that eight-ball on this (given the age of this thread), but I'm pretty keen to get involved in the Friends of Bruce Ridge group. It's my local trails, I was delighted to see the tracks formalised and I'd love to be able to put something back into the area that makes me so happy...

I've had a quick look around, but not sure how to get in touch with the group and join/express my interest.

Can anyone guide me on this?

Thanks and happy trails!
Read the posts above, you'll find a link. Should be easy to find. Great to hear your keen to pick up a shovel. I need to pull my finger out and help more too.

Last edited: