Bruce Ridge ACT

Kowalski Brothers

Legends of the Shovel
Currently looking to run the next working bee on Sun 31 May. Pencil it into your calendars now.
Are you still planning a session this Sunday?
I'll be tired on account of trail silliness the day before, but if it's on I'll try.
Also, the Majura official opening thing is on at 10am so I'd be there after that.
let me know where you'll be...
Al

Kramer

FoBR
None of the FoBR crew are available to dig, so we have cancelled the working bee for May.

The next FoBR event is the June social ride on Sat 27 June, although we may sneak in a working bee to make up for our slackness.
PCS should start installing trail markers at Bruce next week, so keep a look out on the trails.

If you are stuck for something to do this weekend, then get out to Majura for the official opening on Sunday!

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
None of the FoBR crew are available to dig, so we have cancelled the working bee for May.

The next FoBR event is the June social ride on Sat 27 June, although we may sneak in a working bee to make up for our slackness.
PCS should start installing trail markers at Bruce next week, so keep a look out on the trails.

If you are stuck for something to do this weekend, then get out to Majura for the official opening on Sunday!
A mate just sent me a pic of the new trail markers - very nice! So are the numbers on the signs different loops out there? Is there a map showing where the loops go?

What's the current status of the trail? Is it open?
Haven't been out to the ridge in months since Majura Pines reopened.

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
What's the current status of the trail? Is it open?
Haven't been out to the ridge in months since Majura Pines reopened.
Yep it's open (although probably pretty soggy after the past few days) and riding better than ever! Everything's signposted now, so has a nice official air about it.

Kramer

FoBR
Things have been a bit quiet for FoBR over the last couple of months as some of us have escaped the Canberra winter. Luckily PCS have been hard at work installing new trail markers and trailhead sign boards.

We expect there will be a formal launch of the Bruce Ridge trails in the near future - woohoo! We will email the details as soon as we have confirmation from PCS.

The plan for this month is to return to a couple of the most ridden sections of the outer loop to polish them up for the launch. Please note that we will meet at the AIS eastern car park, and not the caravan park this month.

Date: Sunday 26 Jul 2015
Time: 8am-12pm
Meeting Location: At the AIS eastern car park - Masterman Street (N1 on the old Bruce Ridge map).
What to Bring: Your favourite trail tools, particularly fire rakes, mattocks, shovels, and bush saws.
As usual, please bring food, water, weather appropriate clothing, eye protection, gloves and sturdy footwear.

Planned work Areas:
Outer loop on the northern side of Bruce Ridge near Gungahlin Dr.
- Commuted : fix corner close to the path/road where the edge is breaking away. Reinforce corner and maybe add slight berm.
- Commuted : west from the above corner, where the logs were installed years ago and trail has widened. Add chicane to wash off water and narrow trail. Maybe build A line and B line options.
- Log run: GDE switchbacks - add dirt to cover logs & roots and fix drainage.
- Cootamundra Wattle: as we work on the northern side we'll also cut down Coota Wattle which is a native weed establishing itself in BR.

Any last minute updates will be posted on the FoBR Twitter feed.

BTW - here's the latest trails map with the new names:
http://fobr.prophpbb.com/topic21.html
An updated version of the map will be produced for the trail head. It will highlight the numbered loops which match the numbers on the trail markers.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Rooted back, won't be on the tools for a little while, haven't been on the bike for two months (well, I did once when the back got better a little but I pedal clipped one of the logs on the switch backs and broke a fucking rib, so I'm happy to hear that they're being worked on!).

Hope to be back in the swing of things soon.

smp976

Likes Bikes
Electric MTB

Just a heads for anyone heading out to the ridge. Saw a guy hooting along on an electric long travel dually last weekend. Was absolutely flying up the climbs so could be pretty dangerous for anyone descending. The guy was polite enough and moved to the side but could still be pretty hazardous on a blind corner.

Kramer

FoBR
Johnny - trails on the outer loop north side are now pimped. Should be awesome - even with a broken rib.

I'm sure there's a whole debate raging elsewhere on RB about eBikes on trails. Still not sure on the ACT govt / PCS stance on riding eBikes on offroad trails.

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
New Trail Map?

The new trail map sign board is in place out at the Ridge now, and it looks awesome! I'm just wondering whether there's anywhere to download that version of the map online?

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Greetings Bruce Ridge Riders,
A group of us are staying at the Alivio the weekend of the 8th August and would love to check out the trails. My question is what is the best way to access the trails from the caravan park, I can see from the trail map that "Just in time" and "Terra Firma" run past, can we just jump on at any point and do either of these trails run in a particular direction?

Kramer

FoBR
Yep, jump on the trails at any point and ride either direction. The only one way trail is Davisia Down which is down!
Keep your eyes open for other riders. Slow down, say g'day and try to pass without plowing off the trail into baby wallabies and endangered orchids.

Kramer

FoBR
Double post!

BTW - Ferra Firma ain't so firm at the moment. So I'd recommend heading right out of Alivio, through the gate, down the fire trail and hooking onto Box Gum Margin. From there I'd go up Davisia Up, and cut a lap of the outer loop before exploring the inner trails.

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
Double post!

BTW - Ferra Firma ain't so firm at the moment. So I'd recommend heading right out of Alivio, through the gate, down the fire trail and hooking onto Box Gum Margin. From there I'd go up Davisia Up, and cut a lap of the outer loop before exploring the inner trails.
Agree with this. Your other option to hook onto the outer loop is to head left out of the park, down the road and then left onto the bike path. Follow it up the hill until you see the trail head on your left (couple of large sign boards with maps and info on them - if you're looking at the trail map it's right near the intersection of Commuted and Just in time).

Personally, I prefer hitting up the trails anti-clockwise. My favourite loop at the moment, which is my commuter run (park the car behind GIO stadium, hit the dirt, and then ride into work in the city - LOVE being able to do that to start the day!) starts at the trail head, and follows Commuted / Log Run / Burin / Super D (right to the top) / Daviesia Down / Daviesia Up / Whoopee / Rake Hoe, before linking back up with Commuted and finishing the rest of the outer loop. Good 10km loop, with some pretty sweet trail to ride! Note I'm not going right down Daviesia Down - just hitting the flat stuff up top before linking with the section to connect to Whoopee.

Enjoy your stay - you've got a stack of sweet trail on your doorstep!

Kramer

FoBR
Afternoon Working Bee Sun 30 Aug

Apologies for the last minute notice for this month's working bee. We have bumped to an afternoon timeslot to avoid a clash with the CORC XC race on Sunday morning. Should make for some sore muscles on Monday for those of us doing both!

The plan for this month is for some more maintenance and tweaks on the outer loop to prep the trails for the launch. Please note that we will meet at the Calvary Hospital car park this month.

Date: Sunday 30 Aug 2015
Time: 2pm-5:30pm
Meeting Location: Calvary car park - Mary Potter Circuit (B4 on the old Bruce Ridge map).
What to Bring: Your favourite trail tools, particularly fire rakes, mattocks, shovels, and bush saws.
As usual, please bring food, water, weather appropriate clothing, eye protection, gloves and sturdy footwear.

Planned work Areas:
Outer loop on the western side of Bruce Ridge near Gungahlin Dr and Belconnen Way.
- Burin & Belco Switchbacks: fix puddles and reinstate drainage.
- Cootamundra Wattle: as we work we'll also cut down Coota Wattle which is a native weed establishing itself in BR.

We are still waiting on news of a date for the formal launch of the Bruce Ridge trails. We will email the details as soon as we have confirmation from PCS.

Finally, FoBR will be participating in the joint parkcare display at Jamison Plaza next weekend Fri 5 - Sun 7 Sept. Please drop by to say hi, and if you are keen to help out please let me know.

Kramer

FoBR
FoBR Sun 27 Sept Working Bee & Official Launch!

Awesome news this month - the date for the official launch of the Bruce Ridge trails has just been announced! The working bee this month will focus on tidying up the new main trail head and nearby trails for the launch. Please note that we will meet at the AIS eastern car park this month.

Here's the details for the working bee and official launch.

Working Bee
Date: Sunday 27 Sept 2015
Time: 1pm-5:00pm
Meeting Location: At the AIS eastern car park - Masterman Street (N1 on the old Bruce Ridge map).
Planned work Areas:
Tidy up of main trail head area and nearby trails (N3 on the old map).
- Commuted & Rake Hoe: fix drainage and rake .
- Cootamundra Wattle: as we work we'll also cut down Coota Wattle which is a native weed establishing itself in BR.

Official Launch
Date: Saturday 31 Oct 2015
Time: 1pm-2:00pm
Location: At the main trail head (closest parking is at the AIS eastern car park).
What to Bring: Your friends and family, and your bike or trail running shoes.