Bruce Ridge ACT

Kramer

FoBR
April Working Bee and IMBA Visit

This weekend Bruce Ridge had the pleasure of hosting a couple of practical sessions for the Sustainable Trails Workshop, which resulted in a couple of areas seeing some love. Also the next Bruce Ridge working bee is rapidly approaching. See the following details from the latest FoBR newsletter:

April Working Bee
Date: Sunday 15th April 2012
Time: 8am-12pm
Meeting Location: At the small carpark just off Belconnen Way, first left about 500m after Gungahlin Drive (D9 on Bruce Ridge map).
What to Bring: Your favourite trail tools, particularly fire rakes, mattocks, shovels, leaf rakes and wheel barrows (if possible) would be good.
As usual, please bring food, water, hat and sturdy footwear.
Planned work Areas:
Improve drainage at switchbacks (F9)
Outslope and trail edge reenforcing along outer loop near Belco Way (D8 to H8)

IMBA Sustainable Trails Workshop visits Bruce Ridge
Over the last 3 days, ACT PCL (Parks, Conservation and Lands) hosted a Sustainable Trails Workshop which was presented by Nick Bowman from IMBA Au (International Mountain Bike Association Australia). The workshop covered trail design and maintenance theories, and also included practical field sessions to try the methods out on the trails. On Saturday and Sunday, we were lucky enough to host the practical sessions at Bruce Ridge. Saturday afternoon saw a solid session of trail armoring to extend and improve the rock bridge, and enhance trail drainage above the rock bridge. Sunday saw a review of the technical descent (DH) trail and a possible new alignment discussed. We also improved some trail benching and drainage on the current main loop above the caravan park.

Kramer

FoBR
Sunday 5 August Working Bee

Date: Sunday 5 August 2012
Time: 9am-1pm
Meeting Location: At the small carpark just off Belconnen Way, first left about 500m after Gungahlin Drive (D9 on Bruce Ridge map).
What to Bring: Your favourite trail tools, particularly fire rakes, mattocks, shovels, leaf rakes and wheel barrows (if possible) would be good.
As usual, please bring food, water, hat, eye protection and sturdy footwear.
Planned work Areas:
We are waiting on the report from IMBA following their recent review of Bruce Ridge, so we won't be doing any major works for this month (sorry, no massive rock armouring and ladder bridges this month!).
However, a bit of recent rain has shown the need to fix some small drainage problems before they get worse. So we will look at some of the inner loop sections on the Western side of the ridge - probably starting at E6-E7, working East-ish to F5-F7, and H6-J6.

Fingers crossed for morning temps above zero!
Hope to see you there.

Thanks for all the effort you guys have been putting in, its really paid off. I got started riding the trails at bruce ridge, and its good to know now they are legalized and maintaining the trails is much easier.

Kramer

FoBR
Yep, some great work from the guys yesterday to keep the inner loop trails running sweet.
The trails are no longer considered illegal, but we do still have quite a bit of work to do to establish a formally approved network of trails with ACT Parks Conservation and Lands. This means that we will have to close a few more trails sometime in the near future - not great but, I'd rather close a few trails than have no trails.

Always keen to have more people involved, so PM me if you are keen to help out at Bruce Ridge.

Remember... Trail building is a democracy - you vote with your shovel ;-)

Last edited:
I'd love to help out, but I'm living overseas at the moment-which could pose a slight problem haha

I recently came back for a visit and rode the dh track, and noticed a fairly decent sized double before the road gap. I dont want to be the one making suggestions and never picking up a shovel here, but I think it would be better to decrease the size of the gap a little, and make the landing larger.

Thanks again

Kramer

FoBR
No problems with your criticism - that double appeared during the last school holidays as an illegal unapproved construction :-/
We have been debating whether to pull it down or not. The deciding factor will be if that part of the DH track alignment stays then we'll probably pull it down, or at least make it a bit safer.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
I don't think the double should be removed, there's a line around it. But I think it's in the "to be removed area", and fair enough if rare birds use that bit of bush.
If that part of track does get to stay, and therefore the jump, I think a smaller table top should be made next to it. And maybe the gap filled in a bit on the double(but length remains), so if you came up short there would be a small flat landing instead of casing the lip, like a table top, for the down ramp. Then people could
A roll the easy table top(should maybe be a small double to deter total newbies from riding it and therefore flattening it).
B jump the easy table top.
C
Transfer from the bigger double to the smaller table top(shorter distance than bigger double jump, bigger distance than table top).
D Go for glory and enjoy the bigger one.
I'm happy with the effort everyone's put in out there, and the advocacy work. Would be greta if the DH track had some thoughts from other trail builders and riders. I was a bit disappointed when I was told the DH section might have an uphill bit in it, that was it for my input unfortunately. That DH section is short, and has great potential to be a fun little track, with the huge natural gully/half pipe, and a smaller one that could be used above it. But with XC riders designing it, it'll be doomed to just be something they deem worthy it would appear. It should be a DH style track, built for riding down, not a fun bonus bit in the XC loop IMO.
If stuff some people want isn't catered for, they'll build it themselves. Then dodgy stuff will appear, like the double jump(even though it looks half decent), or all the crap that was built above it.
I'm also concerned about the tracks between close together well established trees, so they inevitably get smashed with handle bars, and pedals, and your constantly risking your fingers if riding fast. It's a bad look for what's meant to be bush care, if trees are getting damaged and their health risked for no reason. Also their roots will no doubt get exposed. I have diverted some of the tracks around some of them, and noticed some others had too, but there must be at least 10-20 unnecessary between close tree sections.
I'd like to see all the tracks spiced up a bit. They seem to all be getting very similar. I do still enjoy riding there, it is fun, and good easy exercise. But it is what it is, and nothing else, same theme and expectations on every track. The only other jump is a small thrashed out table top that's not even on a track, and you have to detour to hit it. Oh, and the road gap, that's getting removed. Lets not mention the huck to flat jump. and most burms are totally destroyed. I'll try get some time to do some repair work out there(through the right channels).

Last edited:
@no skid marks i think it is fair enough what you said about keeping the DH track a DH track, but i guess it is pretty hard to cater for everyone when the majority of users of the trails are xc riders. The idea of making the double jump into a tabletop is a good one, and i think it should definitely come into consideration. Over all the years i've ridden that track it really has been pretty sketchy, and it really needs some good time and effort put into it to make it manageable for xc riders, but still enough to keep the DH guys interested.

The perfect balance eh?

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Bruce ridge is certainly not on the DH map when it comes to canberra trails, i have never heard anyone say "let go shred up some gravity trails, lets go and hit the ridge!"..its probably more for guys that want to do a few laps, then have a blast before they head off home, either way its been along hard slog to get it up and running to have it legal, lets not fuck it up by endangering other users and premoting it as a downhill track..we all know what the local greenies are like when it comes to bruce and O'c ridge, they want it all for themselves!..Keep It Simple Stupid.

Last edited:

Kramer

FoBR
Saturday 8 September Working Bee

Date: Saturday 8 September 2012
Time: 8:30am-1pm
Meeting Location: Meet Bruce CIT car park which leads to the underpass (F1 on Bruce Ridge map).
As usual, please bring food, water, hat, eye protection and sturdy footwear.
Planned work Areas:
We will be revisiting the ongoing drainage/flooding issue at the low point of the GDE switchbacks (I3).

No Skid Marks

There's a few old DH lines out there. They're not really DH as such, but they're down hill, and not XC. I don't see why there can't be a more extreme track built there. It can be safe, and/or sign posted. Most of the original tracks out there have more of a hardcore type feel to them, than the flowy tracks that are being mainly built now. It's all good, I just feel that if you don't cater to the people who want more of a flowy adrenaline rush than a work out, you'll find people building stuff out there. Although sketchy, the DH type track out there has had more work put into it than any of the other tracks it would seem(not including the new works). People can ride road bikes if they want sanitized riding, or even on fire roads on 29ers if they want to just pedal in the bush.
Please don't take this the wrong way anyone, it's good the works being done, and legitimized, but just because you've done the hard yards I'm not sure if it's fair that others ideals don't get represented too.
That DH(I hate calling it that, as it's not true DH)track was not built by XC riders, and I feel shouldn't be replaced with an XC track. I have offered to help rebuild it, even if I do it by myself. With the ideals of making it as durable as any of the other tracks, and rollable or B lines if need be.
I personally would like another place I could go and do a handfull of push runs on a flowy slightly testing little track, that could be done on a hardtail, but more suited to most on a dually, and even a DH bike. With hips to jump, double jumps with long down ramps and smaller jumps next too, or table tops, and some nice berms.
I'm not saying in any way of promoting it as a DH track, or even ever again calling it a DH track out there. I just think the challenging down hill section should stay, and if being removed, it should be replaced, and I'm happy to do it all by hand myself, ticking all the right boxes so that the land managers won't be upset, be it by signage, safe obstacles or both.

Last edited:

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
NSM, what you are saying makes sense to everyone trying to get authorised trails up and running. However it is a big jump in risk acceptance for most land managers to accept gravity riding early in the process. Up here the way things are panning out is that XC trails come first and then with time and proof of ongoing trailcare, more aggressive riding styles will have a better chance. The frustration for the DH and freeride groups is obvious, but by offering to be involved with authorised trailcare, you will be in a far better position to argue for more aggressive trail development (or re-development as it seems for you). What most land managers are looking for is trailworkers thay can trust and thus switch off the radar and get on with all the other work they have no time or funding to manage. Put your face to your ambitions and you will probably get what you want sooner.

No Skid Marks

A flowing gravity assisted track does not need to look dangerous, and can be built with little to no maintenance needed. Natural hips can be made into table top jumps. The gullies available to use could easily be turned into a fun flowy track, and the gully revegetated, and a few ponds made for dirt excavation at the gullies bottom, that would benefit wildlife and aquatic plants and animals, and slow the water flow in heavy rain.
Ideally it would be made with double jumps to lessen it's use by novices that have the largest impact on steeper trails and too jump up and down ramps. But natural hips as mentioned could be turned into jumps easily that wouldn't get too damaged by novices.
I don't want to nor have time to build xc 29er trails to earn my stripes, I would rather be riding or building tracks I like to ride elsewhere. The one day I did work there with the crew was productive, but it was hard to have a voice, and understandably so I guess. But dodgy jumps were made in desperation(not by me), and other trail features also rushed just to avoid the mass of opinions that come with group trail work. Double edged sword I guess.
I'm sure it will remain a great place to ride, and hopefully evolve back to a similar sort of character that it had.
Keep up the good work fellas, don't let this black sheep knock the wind from your sails.

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I do hear you and can admit to having built that sort of trail when it perhaps should not have been made, officially. There is no doubt they can be made right, safe and sustainably. Speaking as one who hears the "I haven't got time to build stuff I am not interested in" argument a lot; the sooner the trails that are OK with land managers are done, the sooner the more adventurous proposals will get a look-in.

We want to make all trails have the flow and fun you are after, whether they are XC green lines or not. We also want to see more dramatic stuff built too. I guess you (we) have to decide whether to build illegally and hope it will be adopted in time, or will result in the closure of all trails that are not totally on the managers' agenda (a disaster). I cannot make that call for you, but if you do work on trails that are "unauthorised", then do it perfectly, with safe features, lots of drainage, minimal environmental impact (deep holes and damaged vegetation go over like a wrought-iron hanglider) and no elevated structures. Hey, you know the team building in your area. Don't do anything to damage their relationship with the LM.

No Skid Marks

I wouldn't build any tracks at Bruce ridge without authorization. I would like authorization to build a gravity fed track in the appropriate area next to where it already exists. I would be happy with daily inspections by whomever. I would even guarantee that the trail would be highly praised by the land managers.

dhd

Downhill Direct
I regularly ride the ridge and love the trails there and think what has been done is awesome. I do however think it would be a great thing to have a good downhill section. I don't think it has to be a "World Cup level" DH trail, just something a capable rider on a DH or AM bike can bust out a few runs and go home smiling. Personally I would probably be inclined to tack a few runs on at he end of an XC ride there, which is what tends to happen now when we go there.
I too would be happy to help out building when I can....

The best part about Oconnor ridge is the trails are easily accessible and you can go there for a quick ride when time is short....... Why limit tit to XC???

Last edited:

Kramer

FoBR
As with many trail initiatives it is 90% negotiation and 10% digging. Guys like Geoff and previously AB, have spent many hours with PCS to maintain the relationship and keep things moving forwards. There are some big issues to address as part of formalising the Bruce Ridge network. When considering the use of Canberra Nature Park areas (which include Bruce Ridge), PCS will follow the following priorities: Conservation, and secondly Recreation/Education. They have signifcant concerns about jumps anywhere in CNP - due to both conservation and public liability issues. Their current policy clearly says no jumps (although there is a question of when does a gradient reversal become a jump :)

IMBA recently did a full audit of the trails at Bruce, and PCS have since provided a response to some of the recommendations (primarily relating to new trails). The big recommendation from IMBA was to close the current descent track and build a new IMBA spec descent/flow track. PCS subsequently conducted a review of the proposed alignment for a new descent track and determined that it would have too great an impact on the plants and animals. So we are now looking at slightly rejigging the alignment of the current descent track to avoid people getting killed at the road gaps and improve the sustainability of the track.

I don't think you will ever see a *real* DH track at Bruce, as it is still semi-natural bushland within CNP. If Bruce can be shown to be a success, then there may be options for a DH track somewhere nearby with lesser conservation value (eg. O'Connor Ridge).