Bruce Ridge ACT

Kramer

FoBR
We are in the process of getting trail signs sorted, and preferred direction indicators will probably be put on most trails.
For the 1 June working bee, we will be clearing sight lines in a number of areas (I have had a few close calls over the years too).

Klips

Likes Dirt
Johnny, we're in opposition - I can do June 1 but can't do 29 June (Melburn Roobaix!).

Agree that sight lines need some clearing up, ironically I find it easier very early in the morning because you get the warning form the headlights. Looking forward to finally helping on the trails!

nzdans

Likes Dirt
Johnny, we're in opposition - I can do June 1 but can't do 29 June (Melburn Roobaix!).

Agree that sight lines need some clearing up, ironically I find it easier very early in the morning because you get the warning form the headlights. Looking forward to finally helping on the trails!
The Ridge was lit up like a Christmas festivity last night, girlfriend and I had a great ride and saw at least another 16 or 17 out.

I'm looking forward to lending a hand here although maybe working on the 1st, fingers crossed but..

Kramer

FoBR
"Fingers crossed, but..."? The dates are on the FoBR site, book them in your calendar now and make it a priority.

nzdans

Likes Dirt
"Fingers crossed, but..."? The dates are on the FoBR site, book them in your calendar now and make it a priority.
Wish it was that easy, I have a project on that weekend in Wollongong.. these things don't always/often run to schedule..

nak

Likes Bikes
Bruce is my local, ride it a few times a week.
I would be interested in spending time on the shovel to maintain what is a brilliant resource in the middle of town, but I have been involved in volunteer groups before where one or two strong individuals dicate the whole show to the detriment to the final result

How do the maintence days work though
- who sets the priorities for the days work, is there an agreed or set works program or is it just up to the individual on the day?
- who sets the standard/has the final call as to what is a good line or feature?
- Are individuals free to maintain trail sections on their own at any time or can works be done only on track days?

Kramer

FoBR
Let me start with one of my favourite quotes... "Trail building is a democracy. You vote with your shovel."

If you turn up, dig and get involved you get to have a say. However, the land belongs to ACT Parks & Conservation Services, so we must protect the conservation values of Bruce Ridge, ensure the safety of all people using the nature park, and work with PCS towards an agreed outcome.

The general plan for this year is to complete the establishment of the easy outer loop, more complex inner trails, install trail signs, and close the unsustainable trails.

For the 1 June working bee, Dave will run the show with a focus on maintenance (drainage, tree trimming, shutting down dodgy shortcuts, etc).
We always have room for plans to change, discuss what we are doing, etc.
Sometimes we build or change a trail, and it sucks. That's trail building. In most cases, we'll come back next time and fix it.

If anyone is keen to do some solo work at strange hours of the day or night, then it would be best to turn up to a couple of working bees first. That way we can check out their awesome trail building skillz, talk about safety (for them and other users of BR), the plan for Bruce Ridge, and what needs doing. All works must be done under the Parkcare volunteer program, but we can easily walk people through this (mostly maintaining a volunteer sign on sheet and agreeing to abide by their code of conduct).

the_moroccan_rocket

Cannon Fodder
Hi all - I'm interested in helping out at the working bee on the 1st of June. What time do you start and how late do you finish?
If it goes on all day, is it OK to show up just for a half day? I have young kids and time is limited. But really keen to help as Bruce Ridge is my local and it's just awesome.

Kramer

FoBR
Working bees are usually 8am-12pm - so half day is all we do.
(if we do more than 4 hours I can't get out of bed the next day!)

A few of us have kids, and most working bees someone will bring their kids. So you are welcome to bring yours. My boys are 5, 7 & 9, and have come to a few working bees - they sometimes dig but mostly just wander around the bush. The main thing is to explain safety around the tools, etc.

Kramer

FoBR
Sun 1 June Working Bee

Date: Sunday 1 June 2014
Time: 8am-12pm
Meeting Location: At the small carpark just off Belconnen Way, first left about 500m after Gungahlin Drive (D9 on Bruce Ridge map). Look for the lamppost with paint on it.
What to Bring: Your favourite trail tools, particularly fire rakes, mattocks, and shovels. Also, pruning saws and secateurs would be good.
As usual, please bring food, water, hat, eye protection and sturdy footwear.
Planned work Areas:
Dave has some maintenance planned along the southern side of the Ridge to keep the trails in prime condition. We will probably work along the ridge heading east towards the caravan park.

Hopefully the warm weather holds up for the first day of winter!

Also, FoBR is now on Twitter for last minute trail status and workinig bee updates
https://twitter.com/FoBruceRidge

Klips

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the fun morning team. I rode both the corners we fixed (amazing!) and the new link built (needs secateurs, but otherwise good) this morning. Very keen to keep improving it.

Perhaps it might be more constructive to establish some etiquette guidelines on the currently blank message boards out there with some links to the FoBR forum and here to promote engagement/discussion. These boards could also be used to bring attention to works planned by FoBR.

In my experience the direction indicators will only get ignored and pulled down.

We are in the process of getting trail signs sorted, and preferred direction indicators will probably be put on most trails.
For the 1 June working bee, we will be clearing sight lines in a number of areas (I have had a few close calls over the years too).

Kramer

FoBR
Trails Plan - June 2014

Klips - Thanks, it was good to meet up and have a dig - the trails are looking and riding much better now along that side of the ridge.

Flags - If people can't behave themselves at Bruce Ridge, then there will be a simple solution. The whole arrangement will need to be shutdown, and mountain bikers will be locked out of Canberra Nature Park. We mountain bikers need to realise what a special arrangement we have going here, and not mess things up.

Following discussions with ACT Parks and Conservation Services, we now have an agreed trails plan. This map linked below shows the proposed trails to remain, close and new sections needed.
http://fobr.prophpbb.com/topic21.html

Trails marked to close will soon be closed and rehabilitated. If all goes to plan, we will soon have some trail markers for the remaining trails.
(Yes, Flags there will be preferred direction indicators)

Happy to chat about the changes online or at the next working bee on 19 June (details coming soon!).

microRobbie

Likes Bikes
Just wanted to say thanks for the work you are doing. Will try and get along to a working bee one of these days.

Its amazing how things have changed (for the better).

I have scars on my arm from coming off after hitting one of the many logs that the anti-bike dude put on the track back in the late 90s

I remember well before the GDE I'd often stop and say hello to anyone riding the old central track as encounters with other riders were that rare.

Kramer

FoBR
I may have met you in the past, as I have also been riding there since well before the GDE. I remember cutting laps of the old multi use trail and the other bits behind Calvary. This week has seen another section of the old eroded multi use trail closed (over near Calvary).

We have all been riding there for longer than we care to remember, but this isn’t really the point nor does it give any of us a licence to run the joint or ride without responsibility.

It’s my view that a mountain bike trail etiquette is a way forward before any preferred trail direction is established, which I note the current trail plan is encouraging. There are plenty on the web e.g. http://bouldermountainbike.org/content/trail-etiquette or even https://www.imba.com/about/rules-trail. A draft Bruce Ridge trail etiquette could be widely consulted on and perhaps promoted ACT wide. I know that community consultations are long and thankless processes, but without it such a proposal will receive little acceptance.

More community engagement is good and is certainly needed here.

microRobbie

Likes Bikes
We have all been riding there for longer than we care to remember, but this isn’t really the point nor does it give any of us a licence to run the joint or ride without responsibility.

It’s my view that a mountain bike trail etiquette is a way forward before any preferred trail direction is established, which I note the current trail plan is encouraging. There are plenty on the web e.g. http://bouldermountainbike.org/content/trail-etiquette or even https://www.imba.com/about/rules-trail. A draft Bruce Ridge trail etiquette could be widely consulted on and perhaps promoted ACT wide. I know that community consultations are long and thankless processes, but without it such a proposal will receive little acceptance.

More community engagement is good and is certainly needed here.

I didn't realise the point of this thread was to stick to your point. Was just trying to say thanks to those doing trailwork with a bit of reminiscence thrown in.

I didn't realise the point of this thread was to stick to your point. Was just trying to say thanks to those doing trailwork with a bit of reminiscence thrown in.
Sorry, there was no disrespect to your comment in particular intended there.

If you have any comments about the trail works occurring at Bruce, please say something here. Bruce is changing – some of it is necessary and some of it isn’t. The more people who get involved and have their say, the more acceptable the outcomes for Bruce Ridge will be.

ninjananna

Likes Dirt
I couldn't be 100% but it looked like the mini DH section at Bruce Ridge is one of the sections to be sacrificed. I always took the rough as guts b-lines but loved that section of trail.

I'll honour the closure for the greater good it but it will be a shame to see it go. It didn't seem to get that much use anyway.