Budget Bush Basher Build

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
Purists be warned! I couldn't find the 'Endless List of Stupid Questions' thread, so I thought I'd try here. I need help. o_O

I also need some basic (and advanced) bike building advice. I have done most things at least once, but my knowledge of brands, systems, and their compatibility, is very sketchy.

I bought myself a bunch of junk for Xmas. I don't make a lot, with pretty bad nerve damage in my spine I'm pretty much unemployable, and my fledgling small business is struggling with the downturn in the economy. I can't even think about owning a 5K bike, and really, I don't want one. I'd sooner put that kind of money into upgrading my work vehicle, or a fishing boat .... but I do love to ride silently in the bush. It's been a life-long thing for me. I'm a bit dirty on myself for not having a go the last 2-3 years.
So a bit of money trickled in yesterday. Not enough to buy any of the Cannondales I've got my eye on, but where there's a will ......

So I have these bits .....

It's a new SLX BB, but that is all I have of it. Can I buy the missing bit, or should I just get a new one?
Are there supposed to be caps, or bolts to hold Left crank on, or is it just held on by the clamp bolts?
Do I have any chance of fitting the FSA Moto X chainring/guide to the SLX crank?

Got the answer to those ones. Park Tools on YouTubez for the win.

And yes, I'm still intending to get a duallie. Maybe just a frame now, but I want to ride something tomorrow.

Cheers, farkers

EDITED:
Frame - Norco 125, 2010 model.
Rear shock - nope
Front shock/fork - Manitou Nixons
Handlebars - Norco
Stem - Norco
Headset - FSA Impact infernal
Grips - BBB Python
Saddle - The Shadow Conspiracy
Seatpost - Coda springer (possibly vintage)
Front brake - Tektro Eclipse mechanical 160 mm
Rear brake - Tektro Eclipse mechanical 160 mm
Cranks - Shimano SLX
Chainguide - Blackspire
Chain - Shimano HG71
Pedals - Odyssey Twisted tie die black
Front derailleur - yeah-nah
Rear derailleur - 15 y.o LX
Front shifter - nope
Rear shifter - 15 y.o LX (seems to work well)
Cassette - 8 sp
Front hub - Norco 64
Rear hub - Norco 64
Front rim - 26 "Alienation Plain Black Rim BMX
Rear rim - same
Spokes - Dunno
Nipples - always
Tyres - Kenda K-Rad 26 x 2.3
Tubes - dunno
Total weight - tba

Finished Xmas eve. Total outlay $375 and I have one and a half bikes in leftovers. ($405) I paid $30 for the cranks from a burner about 5 years ago.

I'm calling it a successful budget build.

Last edited:

FigBo0T

Looks like the SLX cranks are going on the Norco for now. Bike shop tomorrow for chain and grips.

(pending chainring swap)

FigBo0T

Built, ridden, and dog-towed overnight/this morning. Rides much better than I expected. A dirt jump frame that you can sit and pedal on. Bonus!

Fitted Nixon's, SLX cranks, 'retro' springer seatpost, and LX shifter and mech, and bought new chain, grips and pedals from the local BMXican shop. Merry Xmas to me .... spent an hour picking off stickers last night.

358264 ....... $125 doesn't go far these days

Covered in grease, dirt, and sticker gunge, I couldn't help taking a pic after a dawn ride. I think she's a little bit sexy.

40-50 mm rear travel (if you sit) .... almost endurobro :rolleyes:

Last edited:

safreek

Didn't even wash my bike. :oops:
You, you didn't what. Shame on you.
To be honest I only wash bikes when the partner gets dirty on my dirty bikes.
Well done on the 125, they are a cool bike.
The problem with getting into mountain bikes is you have to choose between bike parts or drugs. It's hard to combine both of them.
As you go along you will find bargains here and there, jump on them immediately otherwise you will need them next week for sure.
Don't worry about getting really flash stuff as a lot of the cheaper stuff works.
I got the brakes that are on the endurobro bike for 60 or 80 bucks brand new off cry, Clark's brakes. They seem to work well for a budget brake.
People will sell you cheapo parts on roto at times, depending on whether they are trying the new flavour of coolaid.
Mary xmouse to you figgy

FigBo0T

You, you didn't what. Shame on you.
To be honest I only wash bikes when the partner gets dirty on my dirty bikes.
Well done on the 125, they are a cool bike.
The problem with getting into mountain bikes is you have to choose between bike parts or drugs. It's hard to combine both of them.
As you go along you will find bargains here and there, jump on them immediately otherwise you will need them next week for sure.
Don't worry about getting really flash stuff as a lot of the cheaper stuff works.
I got the brakes that are on the endurobro bike for 60 or 80 bucks brand new off cry, Clark's brakes. They seem to work well for a budget brake.
People will sell you cheapo parts on roto at times, depending on whether they are trying the new flavour of coolaid.
Mary xmouse to you figgy
Didn't make it to bed yet ... still pumped from blasting the 125 through the mist (probably smoke) this morning. The dog absolutely loved it too. We hit top speed pretty quick. A bit over it actually.
I know what you mean about cost mate. In the few years that I stopped paying attention, everything got crazy spendy. Even the secondhand market is a bit stupid. The bargains go quick. The two broken bikes I got were only online for 10 minutes when I saw them. By the time I got there (an hour later) they'd had a bunch of people trying to up the price, but they were cool and stuck to their deal. I wasn't even going to try and haggle anyway.

The Nixons were sold with a frame. Bloke refused to split them, and had heaps of people trying to buy just the fork. I gave him his hundred and got an old set of wheels, and the seat and post that are now on the Norco thrown in. Sometimes you pay a little more to get what you want, and there are bonuses.

I bought a full set of Hayes hydraulics off a burner years ago for some silly price like $10 .... they were on one of my bikes that were stolen.

Wait .... is this trade talk? o_O

I bought two roast chooks last night for lunch today. Nobody is coming, it's just for me and my dog. He usually eats more than I do.

Merry XupMas, mate.

Last edited:

FigBo0T

Nice work mate! That looks like it'd be heckin' fun to ride.
Cheers mate. It really is. I was just building something to exercise my dog with, and it's the coolest (looks and ride) bike I've owned, and the first one I've 'built'. (I did have it down to a frame and BB at one point, as I was going to use another frame, but don't have a BB tool)

Milpool

Have knuckles, will drag
You've inspired me to get one of my frames together, just looks too fun. I'm a complete bike retard so could get interesting. I'd love to run my dog with it but the bulldog would cark it and the staffy would run me into traffic.

FigBo0T

Had a visit today, from the young bloke who bought my Octane One DJ bike 4 years ago. He's 20 now, and won't part with it. I hit him up a few weeks ago. He knew I was building a bike, and gave me the stem and bars that were originally on it. I gave him a couple of sets with the bike, and he never used them. NS Mint risers, lightly swept, and a smidge wider, and an Azonic stem, both in black, which is what I wanted after finishing the build. It must be Christmas or something .... they're like new. And you can't rub the paint off with your fingers like the Norco crap. (They need new painters.)

Things to do ....

Change to 9 sp cassette (got 2 old ones) so my 9 sp mech and shifter work a bit better. Working pretty well except for each end .... obviously ....
(confession pending)

Upgrade saddle and post (only for a less 'antique version though, I like the spring.)

Upgrade tyres. I have a pair of Hutchison Alligators, but don't know if they'll fit the rim width yet. I assume they will.

Buy bicycle specific tools .... again ... I had a great set stolen with my bikes ...

Buy a couple of bottom brackets and headsets, and start building a new one with the DunCon frame. ..... or put the DJ3's on the Rockhopper .... hmmm

Last edited:

FigBo0T

You've inspired me to get one of my frames together, just looks too fun. I'm a complete bike retard so could get interesting. I'd love to run my dog with it but the bulldog would cark it and the staffy would run me into traffic.
Mine would too, which is why I'm doing it on the dirt. I'm allergic to traffic.

FigBo0T

Duncan frame, not built, please explain.
Don't make me set your dog onto you
Just waiting for a bottom bracket, chain and tools to arrive. Should be here Mon-Tues, and it'll be done overnight, I promise, Sir!

Is your's finished? Don't be flexing those muscles at me ..... ;)

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Just waiting for a bottom bracket, chain and tools to arrive. Should be here Mon-Tues, and it'll be done overnight, I promise, Sir!

Is your's finished? Don't be flexing those muscles at me ..... ;)
Don't fear his muscles, they don't have much endurance. What you need to look out for is his glazed hands! Despite being slippery, once they grab you...you're done.

FigBo0T

Don't fear his muscles, they don't have much endurance. What you need to look out for is his glazed hands! Despite being slippery, once they grab you...you're done.
I used to look like him ..... about 25 years ago. Still rocking the same hairstyle too.