XC Build Thread: Half Fat Giant SS (on hold)

yiannos18

Likes Dirt
Once uni is finished for the semester, I shall be undertaking the role of stripping the bike down to the bare frame and starting all over again.. with a bit of a twist.
I've ridden a fat bike (thank you gcouyant) and since then, have loved the way it goes. Yes you do get rattled around a bit being fully rigid BUT you just have so much fun doing so. It makes you smile uncontrollably.
However, I have not enough funds (or shed space) to warrant the purchase of a fat bike, but I do have a hardtail that I can use, which is definitely a start.
So, this is what I shall be starting with and over the coming months, it shall be transformed into somewhat of a mutant!
garage_attachment.jpeg
Everything in black is current, everything in red is proposed!

Frame - 2009 Giant Talon, Matte Black -- WR Blue Mica
Front shock/fork - Rockshox Tora -- Surly Pugsley/Moonlander (?)
Handlebars - Raceface Ride
Stem - Raceface Ride
Headset - FSA (i dont know what model!)
Grips - Lizard Skins Logo Lock On -- WTB Comfort Zone Clamp On
Saddle - SDG Bel-Air
Seatpost - Cane Creek Thudbuster ST
Front brake - Shimano M486 -- Avid BB7
Rear brake - Shimano M486 -- Avid BB7
Cranks - Shimano Deore -- Truvativ Iso-flow
Front derailleur - Shimano Deore -- NONE
Rear derailleur - Shimano XT Shadow -- DaBomb RL-4 Tensioner
Tyres - WTB Wolverine 2.2/WTB Mutano Raptor 2.14 -- Surly Big Fat Larry/WTB WeirWolf 2.35
Total weight - Don't know, too heavy for a 'XC' hardtail! -- Heavier... fat wheel will increase weight

yiannos18

Likes Dirt
Alright!
so the build has almost started!

Torpedo 7 singlespeed conversion kit arrived in the mail the other day so I'll have to install that next week when I get time. I'll have to get my rear hub fixed (or just buy an el cheapo shimano alfine one that'll just do the job) as it wiggles around significantly (unless someone can tell me how to fix it? :) ) ..
I changed my mind and decided to get a matte orange vinyl wrap for the frame as painting was going to be 1) costly and 2) very time consuming. At least the vinyl can be applied with a clean surface within half an hour!

yiannos18

Likes Dirt
hey yianni, instead of wrap, try this stuff http://www.getdipped.com.au/.
also, i might have a spare hub lying around, ill see what i can find. those stock shitmano hubs do tend to get stuffed pretty quick
thanks for the link cranki! although you just made choosing a new colour/finish for my bike that little bit more difficult! :p
if you do, that'd be great, otherwise no stress if you don't. I suppose the shimano hubs are cheap and easily replaceable..

cranki

Likes Dirt
Thats true, but i guess its the cost of rebuilding the wheel and all that you need to factor in, nukeproof has been pretty good for me, but i do love my hope a dt sets. btw its Prad

yiannos18

Likes Dirt
Thats true, but i guess its the cost of rebuilding the wheel and all that you need to factor in, nukeproof has been pretty good for me, but i do love my hope a dt sets. btw its Prad
even if its just the internals, thats fine.. hey Prad! didn't recognise you :p

yiannos18

Likes Dirt
Pulled Apart!

so, I've finally pulled it all apart (except for the cranks and BB, I require that stupid Shimano BB tool) and tomorrow I shall set about cleaning it!
As I pulled the front end apart, I realised that the Tora fork is indeed VERY heavy (2.5-3kgs?).. can't wait to get that rigid surly fork on!

IMG_20120703_165953.jpg