Building a downhill track?

j-dog01

Banned
hey i was just wondering what the best technique for building a downhill track is, like if you were able to just ride on it and find out where you want the track then if needed just get the bushy scrub out of the way and build up berms and jump etc. or just get a couple tools and start building and where you end up is where you end up, or doesnt it realy matter jst what ever you feel like doing at the time
cheers

gnarly_rider

Likes Dirt
Make it legal, otherwise you may
(a) lose all your hard work in a short period of time and
(b) offside the community, rangers and local council authorities, making it that much harder for you and others to build other trails

j-dog01

Banned
yeah sorry guys i was in class at school and i didnt really have time to search but yeah thanks anyways just needed dome ideas

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Posting in the right forum might be a start too. If you don't have time to do it properly, wait until you do.

Moved it for you....

the best way i have found to build them is find all the spots u want to ride off. like rock drops, steep roll ins, rock gardens etc. then try to work out the best way to link them all together via one path. always walk what u plan on building otherwise u could end up at a dead end very sooner than u wanted. it also allows u to find the decent sections for possible trails and figure out the chicken runs

top_dog

Likes Dirt
Jdog, I notice you are from glasshouse. I live nearby and I am wondering where you plan to build?

Please don't build on state forest land. I recently had a big blue with some rangers up that way, and they threatened legal action on me and my mates. Luckily they didn't do anything but the situation is pretty delicate at the moment.

Last edited:

bazza

look at me
top_dog said:
Jdog, I notice you are from glasshouse. I live nearby and I am wondering where you plan to build?

Please don't build on state forest land. I recently had a big blue with some rangers up that way, and they threatened legal action on me and my mates. Luckily they didn't do anything but the situation is pretty delicate at the moment.
it sucks when they do this. yet selling it to developers seems to take 5 seconds to do.

Nukid

Likes Dirt
i reckon the best way is just to walk the area first and pic out points of were you want to put technical stuff, and then build the track to join up with these.
My trail in my backyard has changed many times as it got to easy. And now it is better but still working on it. The Trail matinence is allways never ending and requires a lot of time and effort to keep your trail ride-able.

The best way to build it is to get ya mates over, a more points of veiw make for a more fun track as you dont just build it to ur skill level. It also makes the work easier,and more fun!!

norco_maniac

Likes Dirt
hey, me and my friends have been building heaps of dh trackes in warrandyte, jumps, road gaps, its right nextdoor to his house so its easy to get to with shovels and stuff, there are heaps of greenies that tell you off once in a while but they dont do anything about it. try not to clear heaps of bush and stuff otherwise it isnt a challenge, dont clear out logs or rocks that you can build a kicker or a dropoff out of, it takes a bit of time, but its worth it!:D

alpinestar12

Likes Bikes and Dirt
One of the most important things, more inportant than putting in every little cool natural terrain feature, is to make the track follow on nicely. Or to use an often abused term, flow. have a good think about where the track is going, and always think "how fast will I be going here", "how wide should I make this corner so that I don't have to lose all of my speed braking into it", "If I come down here as fast as possible how far will I go on this jump" etc.