Building an Australian 1:04 (updated;photos)

trouble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
BUILDING AN AUSTRALIAN 1:04

Hey all, I think I have endeavored after reading many a time about the dirt 1:04 to build my own. Having one of my original trails destroyed by council, I set out again to build a planned, proper dh track only a few minutes away to train on that is technical, fast, steep and has all the elements of a good downhill track even when short. I'd love to hear your idea's on what features, or idea's for improvement in what you want to see in my australian 1:04. Cheers,hope you enjoy.

A bit about the track; it starts with a small roll in that's off camber and gets slippery with some pipe you roll over. You then have a short straight into a long big corner that starts out flat ending in a bermed run out. This is the beginning for a run-in for a nice hip double that's about 4-5m long. The run in does require a bit of pedaling unfortunately. After the hip you go in to a long small berm onto a traverse, this takes you into a rooted flat entry into the first berm of a quadset of switchbacks.

The middle two switches are quite tight and technical so as not to wash speed off. The 4th berm is a nice big round berm to rail and pick up the pace for the next straight. Just after the quadset there's a small bog which is now rock armoured, to help this.

Since it's a trail building thread; here's a before after looking at the first two berms of the quadset of switchbacks

Looking from the bottom of the switchbacks

Ma the rains are coming.... this photo was before the two weeks of rain we are experiencing, it's doing a world of good as this dirt in the picture is like fine dust. The quadset from the top.

You then have a S-bend into a flat very off camber right hander leading onto a narrow rough rock roll down off a small cliff. After this you hit a tight right hander 180 rocky berm, throwing you into the super gnar entrance.

This is a super steep tight technical section (averages around 45 degrees for the whole section). After the berm you hit a flat sharp small left to wash off speed, then a small log roll over with rocks and roots a mash to wash more speed off, then you hit a 1m drop onto the ladder, which is slipper and covered in chicken wire. Being 45 degrees, 3m long it sends you past a tall dead tree over it's roots into the left between two big boulders, this are very tight, it's still unknown is 800mm bars will fit. Through the rocks is 1m drop onto a landing of rocks and big roots and tree stumps. Then you go out onto a 2ndary drop between a log and rock landing on rocks. This takes you to the end of the super gnar with a big g-out, hitting a small bit of wood onto a set of rocks you air off. You land on a super off camber rooted long right hander. This is slightly uphill which makes hitting the exiting the super gnar with high speed really important.

Almost from the bottom of the super gnar, you can just see the 800mm tight gap at the top, what you land if after it and then another drop with rocky landing after just before the g-out.

What you drop out onto after the 800mm chute

800mm bar tight gap I was on about from the exit side. Look at the 4m cliff behind, it has silver brackets in place, that's where the wooden ladder will go from 1m down to beside the big tree stump.

Beware 800mm fans.... it's a tight gap with a fair bit off speed. Looking at entrance side

Just a bit of an off camber traverse corner.

[video=vimeo;12130820]http://vimeo.com/12130820[/video]

(description only atm, photo's of build coming and more description coming also) Look forward to seeing some photo's of freelap events inspired by revo's recent underground racing article. I'd love to hear your idea's on what features, or idea's for improvement in what you want to see in my australian 1:04. Cheers,hope you enjoy

Last edited:

Bilza_ridez

Banned
Nice track

Good track
love the rock drop section. nice and technical
i also agree with the guy at the top i wanna see some helmet cam footage
that would be nice

good work (y)

MtbDjRidaSachaz66

Likes Dirt
Wow man, that looks like fun and hard to ride. I'm loving the switchbacks! Great track man, don't stop building! Looks like you have put alot of hard work into this.
Yeah, as mentioned, you should get some helmet cam footage! :)

trouble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Gusy as said, it's so far from finished, have had some serious water issues around the switches. I thought they were going ok, in syd's first 2 weeks of rain, the last week of solid heavy rain has shown me some serious flaws that need doing, none the less I have some footage of just the switches and you'll see it's flaws. The footage is very short, so I went and rode another local track that's fun with the cam on for you too.

supermajo1

Likes Dirt
I can definitely see the flaws.
I also want to say that u were going quite fast through that first section considering it was wet.