Building wooden jumps

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Would love to see some more backyard timber/diy creations for inspiration.

May have mentioned previously, still thinking something down side of the house, say two small doubles kids can roll and learn to boost, onto wooden berm at bottom of lot to mini wallride across front fence.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Would love to see some more backyard timber/diy creations for inspiration.

May have mentioned previously, still thinking something down side of the house, say two small doubles kids can roll and learn to boost, onto wooden berm at bottom of lot to mini wallride across front fence.
I want to build a mini northshore like feature on the opposite side of the property to the wooden tabletop. 3 stage step up to a 1.4m drop to a dirt down ramp. Wooden rail berms on 3 corners of the property and another smaller tabletop but with a kicker for an upramp... Plus a tyre "rock" garden

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Will you gap the kicker to table top?

I have to start with everything being rollable, and will gradually extend and remove things as speed and skills build. Just have to remove some garden beds and a small tree or two to widen it.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
That's the joy of wood @schred it is a lot easier to move it around than trailer loads of dirt! If you're handy with the tools you can cut and nail a lot of funky shapes.

DMan

Will you gap the kicker to table top?

I have to start with everything being rollable, and will gradually extend and remove things as speed and skills build. Just have to remove some garden beds and a small tree or two to widen it.
Yes, that's my plan. It's a wooden kicker my mates and I built a while ago. That way I can pull it back over time. The tabletop will be dirt with sleeper sides to hold the dirt in place. That way I have the bigger wooden table to roll for beginners or (or gap as we get better) and the smaller one to gap.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sounds like a plan.

Anybody got any feedback for a ramp to wallride, I can't get my head around the wood cuts and haven't found any decent pics/ sketch. For context imagine riding straight towards a fence, then up a ramp that goes from zero camber to 90deg as it curves around matches the vert of the fence. I need it to be gradual otherwise I'll inadvertently push our fence over.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I have built a few different wooden ramps in my time, and a couple of wall rides. I haven't don't something that matches your description. The pest was about 3m high and 4.8m long with a bit of a corner in the middle. It was 2 ply sheets layered one above the other length ways each side of the corner, with 5 BIG posts and 3 solid braces running between the posts (like a fence without pailings). The ply was screwed into these braces. We had the ply about 50cm off the ground and just built a dirt quarter pipe up to it to make for easy on/off and also a jump on option. The idea was you popped on at one end, rode along the wall, pumping out of the corner (it wasn't very sharp) and off the other end either hucking to flat or using the dirt quarter pipe. Then there was a see-saw...it was quite big.

I reckon to get the arc effect youre after you need to build a skeleton that looks like it will hold a full hand of cards in a 500 game. Inside line needs to be low, outside line progressively higher and closer as suits the arc you're after. Run slats between front-rear posts, connect front line to each other then the ground, same for rear, inter connect front and rear with some diagonals, maybe put 2 rear posts for each 1 front post when it gets steeper, then sheet it with pieces of ply. You'll probably need some trail and error in fitting the ply and a bit of saw skill.

I built a fairly large quarter pipe in my old warehouse a while back (roundly 2.4x3.6 or whatever 3 sheets lengthways one on top of the other works out to be and there was an arc etc...I'm not good at maths). To get the smooth shape needed on that we traced out our shape onto some real thick ply (3 pieces - 1 on each end and 1 in the middle which was a little different as it sat behind the slats) then cut them. We double screwed some 90x45 timbers into each of the ends and then jerry rigged the centre support on. With some patience it all came together nicely. So perhaps some real crafty saw work on some form ply will yield the shapes you're after?

Hope that makes sense. I have no photos and it is quite difficult to explain this sort of thing in text.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks man, I think I get it and have since seen a few skeletal shots of wall rides under construction. Possibly a lot more work than I'd planned for a bonus feature. Its all dreams atm, couldnt pull the trigger on materials yesterday, might be a progressive project. Doubles with wall ride to follow. I'll post build pics once it's underway, but it's mostly for the kids so not going to blow anyone away.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
@schred the easy out is to just build a flat wall that you can. Ride up or jump onto. Then just let it grow as desired from there. The wall tide I described above was a few hours work for 3 dudes. The quarter pipe was a bit more, but I was teaching teenagers how to build it on a rainy day.

@rowdyflat I think this might be the thread...unless you are talking something from the long ago? At least there wasn't a other new thread created.

DMan

@schred the easy out is to just build a flat wall that you can. Ride up or jump onto. Then just let it grow as desired from there. The wall tide I described above was a few hours work for 3 dudes. The quarter pipe was a bit more, but I was teaching teenagers how to build it on a rainy day.

@rowdyflat I think this might be the thread...unless you are talking something from the long ago? At least there wasn't a other new thread created.
This is good so keep it coming. Fuel for thought. And if there is another thread on here you'll never find it anyway using the search engine :p

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Good inputs though his ply looks a bit thin. I've sketched up some plans and found a decent source of economical outdoor ply. Even checked gumtree for pre-built, mostly ratty stuff they should pay to have taken away. Just a question of ramp width. Wallet says 600mm brain says 900-1000mm.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Good inputs though his ply looks a bit thin. I've sketched up some plans and found a decent source of economical outdoor ply. Even checked gumtree for pre-built, mostly ratty stuff they should pay to have taken away. Just a question of ramp width. Wallet says 600mm brain says 900-1000mm.
500mm wide is plenty and you don't want to go too thick in the top sheet as it will crack when you bend it or it will take a long time to form the radius. I've built one out of 3 sheet veneer ply 10mm thick all over, just means you need a few braces.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks FR, I've scaled it down a bit and added for a few things.

After deliberating about what I can actually make vs dream up (roller doubles would have been sweet), I'm going with two 35cm high kicker to table top to down ramps. The centre table will sit on top (& fastened to) of the ends of the kicker and down ramps. I've gone with 800 wide as I'm usually out of control by the 2nd jump and 600 is a bit stingey considering it's narrow AF coming in (tight past the wheelie bins & trees where kids current ramp is), plus it divides nicely into a 2.4 sheet. But 2 kickers, 2 sides, two down ramps, two sides, two table tops, battens for all, est. 280 screws = lots of materials. Table is 800 long which at 12-14 kpm roll in should clear with a bit of pop and give the kids something to work towards. Each jump set is approx 2.8m long, so should be enough space - jump, up to 3m, next jump, 3m, fence.

I did some origami sums and picked up 3 sheets of 2440x 1220 x 15mm yesterday from dodgy bros who operates a drop ship plywood business in a self storage place. Weird as hell but quality is >>> bunnings and 1/2 the equiv price so all is well. So far so good. Used some handy maths calculators to work out the arc length of a segment to est. how long to make the kicker for fixed lengths, then ignored them and tied a pen to a screw & string which worked heaps better.

In true CFTFW style I adjusted the line 5 times before cutting it. Poor mans cordless circ saw was not enjoying life even on the straights, and given the small diameter figured it was good for the arc, but it was not and needed a full battery to get around it. Anyway, main cuts made, first kicker sheet soaking in water right now as it is stiff as f, hopefully have something knocked up tomorrow or end of Weds which is a holiday here. Been a slow day with dog and kids reducing any probability of getting the flow on. 4 beersworth of effort in a fairly pleasant winter sun, esp with those beers.
20180811_202418-COLLAGE.jpg