Bureaucratic bungholes.

moorey

call me Mia
Came across a few in my years. Had one today that I think takes the win.

My sons friend runs a sanctuary for injured birds of prey. Non profit, runs off small grants, donations, and education session he runs. Also has an edorced breeding program for Perigrine Falcons.

Anyhoo, around there dropping Felix off today, and my daughter asked if he ever gets any malted eagle or hawk feathers test he doesn’t need, as she likes making ink quills.
He apologises, but it’s an offence to give them out or have one. Even if I find one in the Wild, I’m not allowed to pick it up, and could theoretically be prosecuted if I did.
I tell him that’s madness. He agrees. Sure, trading them presents problems with people poaching. So I can see the reason behind it, even if it’s over the top.

BUT....he then tells me he has an injured Peregrine Falcon he has nurtured back to health, but because both wings were badly injured, it will never be able to fly. He applied for a permit to keep it as one of his breeding program, as he needs a male to replace one that will be released soon.....

...he was denied, and has been ordered to euthanise it.

REALLY? Who does that benefit? It’s an otherwise healthy bird that is needed to help in the breeding program that they (wildlife dept?) support and help fund.

Got something stupider? (Not you Haakon, you probably knocked back his permit). Post it up.

Last edited:

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
My other half lent her car to my brother for a few weeks. While he had it, he accidentally left it parked in a school pickup zone over night, and got a fine the next morning.

Being a reasonable bloke, he paid the fine right away and didn’t think to tell us about it.

Then a year or two later when she went to renew her license, expecting the 50% discount for a clean driving record, she was told she’d lost a point for parking in a school zone.

Didn’t say anything about it on the ticket, and they refused to transfer the point penalty to my brother even though he said he’d accept it.

What a load of shit.

moorey

call me Mia
Dickholes.
Not political, but when I ordered last wheelset from Merlin, it got lost for 6 weeks. Lost, as in tracking showed nothing, and they had no idea where in the world, literally, they were. Possibly Brussels.
They refused to either refund or resend until wheels were located somewhere, so they could be deemed truly lost....which is kinda hard if they are truly lost. Turned up out of the blue 2 months after ordering, though tracking said they were still missing.
Great policy, Merlin.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
My other half lent her car to my brother for a few weeks. While he had it, he accidentally left it parked in a school pickup zone over night, and got a fine the next morning.

Being a reasonable bloke, he paid the fine right away and didn’t think to tell us about it.

Then a year or two later when she went to renew her license, expecting the 50% discount for a clean driving record, she was told she’d lost a point for parking in a school zone.

Didn’t say anything about it on the ticket, and they refused to transfer the point penalty to my brother even though he said he’d accept it.

What a load of shit.
Which state was this in? You don't lose points for parking fines in Victoria.

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
Apparently If I want to sell my chooks eggs I have to pay however much and do a course that shows I know how to clean them and etc, the excuse is the fear of salmonella but i'm skeptical because apparently you don't have to do that course if selling to neighbors or friends.

stirk

Burner
Apparently If I want to sell my chooks eggs I have to pay however much and do a course that shows I know how to clean them and etc, the excuse is the fear of salmonella but i'm skeptical because apparently you don't have to do that course if selling to neighbors or friends.
How often do you buy eggs at the supermarket with a bit of shit or feather on the shell? Happened to me today, lovely arse feather it was and a darn tasty egg.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Australia is terrible for bureaucracy , apparently its the sign of a first world economy and the price of inventing jobs for keeping people employed when mechanization and the internet has taken all the real work away.
For example health and safety legislation and building regulations have gone too far and now are just for giving people something to do.
Anyway my worst bureaucratic and internet experience EVER was applying for a visa to go to India.
For an e visa nothing works , it drops out after filling in endless silly questions about where my father was born, you have to fill it in again I did it 8 times before success , the gateway for payment is incredibly slow and is years out of date so the choice of credit card expiry dates is 2016 to 2019. DING DING hello wake up it is 2018 already.
If you try phoning the options menu just sends you in circles and no one speaks to you.
It makes Vicroads ,Goulburn Murray Water and Workcover look like child's play.
The skiing in India is going to have to be pretty good for me to want to do that again.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
It may be of little consolation, but the internal bureaucracy of the bureaucracies is in many ways worse... Drives me insane. I make friends with the EAs who seem to understand a lot of the bullshit procedures and all the forms signed in triplicate, sent in, sent back, queried, lost, found, subjected to public enquiry and then buried in soft peat for three months and recycled as firelighters...

But my last annoying one was needing an unregistered vehicle permit to take a brand new (but not registered) car about 2kms to have an inspection done. Canberra being Canberra meant I had to spend some hours going across town to apply in person for a piece of paper.

So I hopped online and ordered a Vicroads permit that was a one way permit to drive from Victoria to the inspection place in Canberra, which turned up in my email inbox 15 seconds later. I just didn't do the bulk of the trip ;) And once again Victoria shows these idiots how its done.

Last edited:

Haakon

The problem with governments is that they're run by people. People make mistakes and do dumb things... I know nothing about wildlife stuff, but I shall enquire with a mate who would know. There will I assume (ha, thats my weekly dose of optimism used up already...) be a reason, it might just be not a very good one. Or as is usually the case a good reason for the intended purpose that has some unintended consequences, such as you often get when applying a single rule for all.

Haakon

I know about this one, my olds used to sell "home grown organic goodness etc etc" eggs to the hipster cafes in Castlemaine, but eventually gave it away as it got all too hard. The commercial egg industry is freakign huge and is very very good at lobbying governments for regulations that knock off such competition. Not that my olds would be a blip on their radar, but they like all industries are mighty protective of their patch.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Long time ago, my grandfather dies with a significant firearm collection ( 13 or so guns, couple semi auto shotties) and enough ammo to make Texas proud. Waaaaay over legal limit of ammo, like half a ute load!

Call the firearms officer at the local station.

Me: "I've got a pile of guns and ammo from my recently deceased grandfather. He never had a locker, they are not secure. Can we leave them with you until the gun dealer opens in three days time"

Sergeant po po "No, can't leave here, but can't leave unsecured there either"

Me: "what do I do, it's Christmas?"

Sergeant po po "can't help you son" and the prick hangs up.

Then months later I'm trying to transfer ownership of my great grandfathers 1903 side by side shotgun into my name, that was registered to my grandfather. Dealing with another firearms officer. "No, your grandfather is not dead. He will need to complete the paperwork"

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
The problem with governments is that they're run by people.
...people who need to feel busy, productive, and important. So much so that they will create all sorts of bullshit to fill out their days to feel like they have done something. I say slash the working day and watch the productivity per hour creep up.

Ummmm...something to contribute...Ummm...I once received an award from the commissioner of my department that when translated from public service jibberish was for turning up and doing my job. People clapped and we had a morning tea. I embraced said commissioner and whispered "thank you in his ear".

Not having a driver's license has made some things tricky in NSW. I needed an rsa (license to sell booze) and because I only had a passport they weren't sure I could get it! Try buying cold and flu pills...a pharmacist even knocked back my passport. People unable to think outside the guidelines. Photo id = license so nothing else will do.

Haakon

I dunno - plenty of people in the public service feel no such need to feel busy, productive or important... And lots who will manage one of those, but not others.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
My industry (commercial maritime) is NEXT LEVEL for rules, regulations, red tape & utterly unnecessary beauracracy.
I could write a book.

One example that grinds my gears every time I have to renew the farken thing: The infamous MSIC card.
It's supposed to be a high level security pass complete with background crim. record checks, character referees etc etc. Apparently this piece of plastic around my neck protects our ports & terminals from any/all terrorists in a post 9/11 world.
(In reality, it does nothing).

Last time I renewed it with the official government sub-contractor who is making a fortune out of administering these fuggen ID's that we HAVE to have. I was told they would not accept my proper Australia Post passport photo...
wtf?
It's good enough for an Australian passport yeah?
"....it doesn't fit properly on the card..."
Right, what should I do then?
"...just take a selfie with your smartphone & email that to us..."

Really. National level ID. Access to restricted areas. Almost $500 fee.
Yep, issued to me with a dodgy photo that I took with my phone ....which I could have easily doctored/manipulated etc.

But remember,
"....we take security very seriously..."

Utter fuckwitery.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Finland has introduced a national guaranteed income scheme as a trial in some areas.
560 euros for doing nothing .That might help bureaucratic idiots stop pretending they are actually working.
I have noticed the most hopeless dysfunctional people are attracted to these jobs.
eg >140 kg dummy w no friends works as shire's health and safety officer

Binaural

Eats Squid
When I moved back to Australia from the UK, I self-shipped my stuff back by sea. Bills of lading etc. I handled all of this paperwork well enough, and my stuff turned up at the Sydney docks when expected. I turned up to get my stuff early in the morning to claim my pallet, and so began a comedy of stuffing around. First they couldn't find it, then they did find it, then they decided they wanted to do an inspection. Each step required a 2 hour interval on a day I had expected to be at work. They decided a fine dusting of dirt on my MBT tyres (which had been washed and scrubbed of loose dirt and mud) merited disinfecting the entire bike at my cost. Wouldn't let me just throw them away either, because rules. No real place to wait while these losers messed around either, so I basically had to hang around the dock area. When they did release my stuff, I had to personally chase up a forklift driver to move my stuff from the customs area to the pick up area, and pay for that as well. It was the perfect combination of disrespectful, disorganised and dumb.

I left at about 3pm absolutely furious, having been dicked around by a decent cross-section of worthless douchebags who will be first up against the walll when the revolution comes. I hope they all get replaced by robots ASAP.

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You need a 'working with children check' to work in a school, it costs money that you later claim back in tax.
You need a 'working with children check' to coach or manage a kids sports team, you can get it for free online. There are (or used to be) exemptions if you were a parent of one of the kids in the team.
A 'working with children check' merely checks you don't have a criminal history that makes you 'dangerous' to kids. All of a sudden everyone is a presumed pedophile, and only the ones that have been charged can't work with kids.