Bureaucratic bungholes.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
You would have to do something really special to be sacked from a council so no one cares how little they know or how they perform.
Anyway they just move on like paedophile priests to cause more destruction.
Council building and planning is mainly a money extraction process .

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
We might have the same council @rangersac

We are doing a reno atm, nothing groundbreaking, on a long, narrow block with a laneway at the rear. We have a carport off the laneway, so thought it would be a good idea to build a proper garage with a studio above, as many others have done near us.

Our neighbour has a big paperbark tree right against the fence next to our carport which hangs over our fence, drops leaves all year round & has a root system which has cracked the carport slab & broken the old ceramic sewer pipe which runs under the slab. We get on with them & understand they really like this tree so organised an arborist report ($) early on to keep the neighbours sweet. We replaced the broken sewer ($) which required pulling the carport down to get a big enough excavator in.

We did a lot of extra engineering wrangling ($) to work out how to build around this tree & engaged a planning consultant ($) to ensure the process ran smoothly. Our planning permit was approved & issued with a couple of conditions, one of which was that we must retain the carport slab, presumably to protect the tree's roots, though noone in the process had ever heard of anything like this before. Of course the garage cannot be built without new foundations, so more info was provided to council ($) about the floating foundations on piers which would mean the root system is not impacted, & a tree impact assesment ($) was prepared & submitted. The contact at council then suggested the condition around retaining the slab could be removed with a 'rubber stamp' arrangement with a tree management plan ($) in place, which we organised. This was all leading up to Dec 2016 & when council opened in 2017 she had moved to a different role.

The new council person wasn't having any of it & asked for more assesments/ plans ($) & stated that removing the condition needed to go through as an official ammendment ($). Council proceeded to drag their heels all year, looking for more info/ losing paperwork/ reffering documents to another officer who was on leave, etc. In Nov 2017 we said fuck it, it wasn't meant to be, & pulled the garage from the plans just after construction of the main house started. Council were notified we were not proceeding with the garage.

Just before christmas council got in touch to ask what was going to be at the rear of the property, in place of the garage which they had approved (which couldn't be built because of their clause). We explained that nothing was happening, that the old carport would be reinstated, as per the original application & site condition report. The old carport is still in pieces in the back yard for the most part.

Council informed us that putting our old carport back would require another ammendment ($).

How do you spell cnuts?
And this is why it’s better to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.

Fucking hell, that would make we want to burn the place to the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Years ago I built a carport next to my house. All the appropriate approvals etc. It was built on broken rock that had a D6 struggling to scrape flat. Anyway as a carport, albeit a big carport, I did not run a ratwall front and rear of the slab. Would have cost me many more excavator hours when the machine struggled to dig the footings and thicken the slab on the edges. Anyway ready to pour the footings and slab, concrete on the way and the inspector came to look and then told me the pour had to be stopped. No ratwall. So we had a calm and level headed discussion which included me quoting the local regulations and highlighting the building purpose. Inspector was adament that a future owner would build it in and turn it into a parent's retreat or games room. Not my problem. The guy went as far as telling the concreters they could not start work but as they were a couple of guys from work they ignored him. Big threats about digging up the slab as he sreeched off up the road. Probably didn't help I told him any rat that could dig under the slab had my permission to live there. Anyway next morning I rang the council and started the process of making a formal complaint. About a week later ratwalls were abolished.

Same numbnut made a fellow resident blast rock so the foundations met minimum thickness requirements. Council paid for that work eventually.

The other inspectors were great and one who lived on the estate helped me run battens after inspecting the roof trusses and framing progress.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I am doing a job in a suburb of Melb that has a significant landscape overlay across all vegetation which means you can't remove or lop any "native" vegetation without a permit. So if you go to the nursery buy some kangroo paws and plant them out and 2 years later you want to pull them out, you need to apply for a permit. Which includes an arborist or Horticulturist report, a site plan and re-planting plan. Along with the council visiting the site to evaluate the plant removal.
What is even more stupid is they don't differentiate between "native" and "indigenous". There are plenty of native plants that are declared weeds.
Which is what I ran into, the council has a list of declared weeds that council encourage homeowners to remove and replace with indigenous species. Weeds are exempt from requiring a permit to remove, including trees. Except this particular suburb has the blanket ban on any native vegetation removal.
So I ring the council and speak to planning and ask them whether I need a permit to remove a declared weed that's on their list.. After a few minutes they get back to me and say "yes you do". With all the arborist reports etc that go with it. I did say to them "do you realise how stupid this sounds? I need a permit to pull out a weed?"

twitchie

Likes Bikes
Long time ago, my grandfather dies with a significant firearm collection ( 13 or so guns, couple semi auto shotties) and enough ammo to make Texas proud. Waaaaay over legal limit of ammo, like half a ute load!

Call the firearms officer at the local station.

Me: "I've got a pile of guns and ammo from my recently deceased grandfather. He never had a locker, they are not secure. Can we leave them with you until the gun dealer opens in three days time"

Sergeant po po "No, can't leave here, but can't leave unsecured there either"

Me: "what do I do, it's Christmas?"

Sergeant po po "can't help you son" and the prick hangs up.

Then months later I'm trying to transfer ownership of my great grandfathers 1903 side by side shotgun into my name, that was registered to my grandfather. Dealing with another firearms officer. "No, your grandfather is not dead. He will need to complete the paperwork"

If your still having a shit of time with this situation a good family friend own an amoury in dandenong south on superior drive, he takes in unwanted gun ammo etc etc and can get them reged again.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
If your still having a shit of time with this situation a good family friend own an amoury in dandenong south on superior drive, he takes in unwanted gun ammo etc etc and can get them reged again.
Nah, was 17 years ago now. Lost my great grandfathers side by side after I moved house, missed a years worth of storage invoices from the Sale gun store and they sold it. Still upset about that one.

latheboy

Likes Dirt
'working with children check'
FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was close to mixing up some molatovs over this shit.
We did IVF and had to do these checks and so many more, don't worry about the junkies out there having kids while smacked up!!!

Also, train your bloody staff when there is a protocol change, we decided to take a break after years of trying to recoup our lives.
We knew that our frozen kids would be around for a bit and we were told everything would be fine, take your time.
In a Counselling session a couple of days later bitch face tells us straight up, if you don't use them we will destroy them.
I never been so close to killing someone with my bare hands in my life, she didn't hang around when I told her to get out

twitchie

Likes Bikes
FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was close to mixing up some molatovs over this shit.
We did IVF and had to do these checks and so many more, don't worry about the junkies out there having kids while smacked up!!!
100% agree with you mate! Its like those junkies do it to make everyone else lifes so much more stressful.

Same with the lazy half wit young kids these days rightfully scaming the government for our hard earned money.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I might have an entry coming up... decided to build an outdoor area down in the grove near the firepit. Double as a covered entertainment area but also a bit more cover for the ever growing number of vehicles that are at my place. Record number of hail storms here tbis year and despite being 60 or 70m from the house it will be useful. Found a used 6x6 carport for cheap. Now to draw it up, reverse engineer it (handy being an RPEQ) and then get it approved. Building might happen in the middle of that.