Burner of the year 2020

moorey

call me Mia
Huge shout to to @rextheute for his incredible generosity.
Long story short, I’d been whining I couldn’t afford a little Orange frame for my daughter recently.
Rex (David) messaged me that he had a small bike she could have. I felt like a dick, because my daughter already has 2 fantastic bikes and the last thing she needs is another bike.
I do, however work with a group of over 100 young kids in a weekly MTB training/fitness/skills program, and knew one of the girls needed a more capable bike, which also meant her current little 26” XC bike could be handed down to her younger sister who had long outgrow her little 24”.
Rex was more than happy to do this, and Chloe’s parents were over the moon at the offer.
They picked it up tonight, and took 3 minutes before Chloe was kitted up and taking it for a spin.
I’m planning to throw on a few lighter parts if it needs anything, particularly softer/air forks, but it’s a killer bike already, and she’s going to have a ball. First good ride will be ClubMud DH shuttles Wednesday, and racing it for MiniMuddies kids DH race in May.
Thanks again David. I’ll keep you informed of her progress.

moorey

call me Mia
Strong agree. Chloe lent Quinn’s Spitty last night. Same rear travel as this. Upped her DH chops 10 fold immediately.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
You do a skills workshop?!

Have they not seen the footage of you hitting the breaks before a drop?

Great story, props to all involved.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
These are great bikes. I just rebuilt this for daughter number 2. It was my wife’s but she has not ridden in years. I need to sort out the cables. It also need to go on a diet and lose some weight.

moorey

call me Mia
You do a skills workshop?!

Have they not seen the footage of you hitting the breaks before a drop?

Great story, props to all involved.
I take a group of noob 8/9yo’s...palmed off the skilled kids to better leaders. :p

We’ve had to do formal rego through MTBA, and cap at 100 kids per term this year. I’ve been running this for about 8 years, but this year it’s gone off tap and we’re unfortunately turning kids away:(

Milpool

Have knuckles, will drag
That's awesome and I hope those involved appreciate your knowledge what you do for them.

Milpool

Have knuckles, will drag
That's awesome. Such a good hobby for families. I hope there's something similar around here when my young fella is the right age. As I get a bit more into it I'll look more into the work parties and such that go on for trail maintenance. Nobody needs me near their bike mechanically but I don't mind a shovel and think it's a good lesson for the kid to learn.

moorey

call me Mia
There’s only one way to guarantee something will be around....
We started this as a sideline for 15 minutes to entertain kids while their parents raced the dirt criterium.
In no time it outgrew the adults race, we needed the whole area, and kids wanted a lot more.
For $20 a term, they get a personalised race plate, sticker, fruit and pastries after each ride and an MTB gift (this year was a multitool). They can also buy a cheap, personalised jersey that Reckless Race Concepts help us out with. BTW, that’s young Chloe in the middle, before she got this Jamis.

nathanm

Eats Squid
There’s only one way to guarantee something will be around....
We started this as a sideline for 15 minutes to entertain kids while their parents raced the dirt criterium.
In no time it outgrew the adults race, we needed the whole area, and kids wanted a lot more.
For $20 a term, they get a personalised race plate, sticker, fruit and pastries after each ride and an MTB gift (this year was a multitool). They can also buy a cheap, personalised jersey that Reckless Race Concepts help us out with. BTW, that’s young Chloe in the middle, before she got this Jamis.
View attachment 360564
Fruit and Pastries :eek:

Do a bbq you monster.

But in all seriousness massive kudos, not an ipad in site and plenty of smiles.

BT180

Max Pfaff
That's so cool. I just signed my #2 up to the local BMX club. He's super keen but hoping the whole family will get involved. If he gets good at BMX he's going to make for a kick-ass mountain biker.

moorey

call me Mia
Fruit and Pastries :eek:

Do a bbq you monster.

But in all seriousness massive kudos, not an ipad in site and plenty of smiles.
BBQ end of term.
Pastries donated by awesome local Creswick bakery (Le Peshe Gourmond).
Supposed to run till 6.30....we are lucky to get rid of them before it gets too dark to ride.

But back on topic, it’s guys like @rextheute that continue to make these things awesome for young pinners needing a decent bike when parents can’t always afford it

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The Kids are alright - they are in good hands, Big Smiles ,Lots of Laughs and not too serious ..... probably some scars and so many stories to tell !