Burners' Backyards: Veggies, Gardening, Landscape & Design

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
AG pipe for drainage? I'm not keen.
3500mm of rain a year, block drops 400mm rear to front, I'm thinking creek bed.... anyone done this?
French drain? (It think that's what they're called... Gravel over a perforated drain pipe)

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
3500mm of rain a year, block drops 400mm rear to front, I'm thinking creek bed.... anyone done this?
Neighbours did this around their house. Width varied according to the lay of the land. I think there is agpipe in geotextile under a bed of sand covered by more geo fabric then river rocks and gravel on top. Looks really cool except for weeds.

Cyclomaniac

Likes Dirt
We have one at our place. Looks rubbish at the moment. They work well for moving lots of water but they are high maintenance. As you can see it is full of leaves and silts up. Was originally much shallower with rocks at the bottom. It was silted up as a lot of bare ground and driveway drains on to it. I dug it out and placed all the rocks up the sides to make it easier to clean out.
At work I have done a few with large sized river pebble, they look great and are worth the effort. Put a few bends in if you can, mine is only straight because there is another 150mm drain underneath it.
20240424_165748s.jpg

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
high maintenance. As you can see it is full of leaves and silts up.
Is there anything out there than can stop this ? All run in carries dirt and the pit is useless after a few deluges.

Maybe an overflow pit that then just requires the silt dug out of the inlet pit ?

The silt and muds sinks to the bottom and leaves are stopped by the weir.

I have the same issue with run off stormwater, it all goes down the driveway and makes a shit mess of ruts (gravel driveway on crown land). I built a water bar similar to what you see on firetracks but its only solved the issue partially.

Similar to this. These can be bought as precast.

EDIT: outlet then flows to the soaker pit without dirt and leaves. The weir trap can then be dug out occasionally without destroying the soaker pit.

fdgfdgsfdgsdg.jpg

Cyclomaniac

Likes Dirt
That would work as long as it doesn't fill up too quickly. Looks like a neat solution. Water over a dirt road never works out. Also water speed is a factor. Too slow and silt builds up, too fast and you get erosion. I have seen builders use silt fencing, rocks and straw bales to slow the water down enough to drop the larger solids in a hole they dug, similar to the precast pit you found, but might be easier to dig out.
In my case I have given the drain a bit more fall so hopefully there will be just enough speed to flush out the leaves and silt in the bigger flows to keep it clear for longer. Time will tell.

indica

Serial flasher
My channel runs clear, it seems the only dirt is from the channel, the water coming from the sky is obviously clear and the run off from the grass is clean