Burners' Backyards: Veggies, Gardening, Landscape & Design

indica

Serial flasher
Question: cost effective way of enclosing the area below the house?

Max 900mm above the ground, steel framed, reasonable level. House is 11m x 16m so not massive. I just want to keep the dogs out and make it look neater.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
the standard around here is 150x 25 treated pine boards. They're about $3 a metre and come in whatever colour you like*

*Once buyer applies paint

cammas

Seamstress

Max 900mm above the ground, steel framed, reasonable level. House is 11m x 16m so not massive. I just want to keep the dogs out and make it look neater.
Weld mesh would be but looks arse.
the standard around here is 150x 25 treated pine boards.
A combination of these two I reckon put up the weld mesh to keep any things like cats, possums etc out, then the 6x1 t/pine over the top painted in a colour to complement the house.
It will stop the dogs getting in there plus if something gets in your yard, it will stop the dogs from chasing it under your house, plus with a colour that’s offset from the house it will look a little snazzy.
Also if the real estate agents in your area are anything like mine, they will ask you if you are getting ready to sell, just because you’re making place look nice :rolleyes:

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say

Seven plain wire fence, ironbark posts, steel droppers, gripples...maybe a hot wire for the neighbours. Could also put barb at the bottom to slow the pigs digging under...

slowmick

38-39"
I'd be picking something you don't have to maintain. The merbau looking nice but you'll wind up with an awful lot of it to maintain.
Painted timber should stay looking nicer for longer than oiled timber.
Maybe have a look at Bunning for lattice or screen sheets for the tall sections or have a look at stratco for some fencing options.
Sounds like with the different heights around the house you may need to consider a combination of materials.

indica

Serial flasher
The merbau looking nice but you'll wind up with an awful lot of it to maintain.
We have 50sqm of decking to treat so I figure a little more won't hurt.

Maybe treated pine for the non front bits then might be the go.

Sounds like with the different heights around the house you may need to consider a combination of materials.
Yes, sounds reasonable, have the front looking good....

cammas

Seamstress

cammas

Seamstress
So I’ve slowly started working on the dirt farm again aka my front yard, so I sketched out the garden beds and then consulted with the client (Mrs Cammas) on wether they wanted regular treated pine or sienna treated pine which gives it a red appearance. Once that was confirmed, the first sections timber was ordered and delivered, as there is a ton of holes to be dug not just in the front I’ve got more to be dug out back, so with some Chrissy Bunnings gift vouchers and a little extra cash, I got a Ryobi cordless post hole digger 36V, so far so good.
I stringed out the area and started from the highest point, straight away I realised the drop across the yard is going to be a pain, as it drops south to north, as well as west to east. I also had my daughters boyfriend show me how to ensure it’s square, it’s 3x4x5 method (or trigonometry) measure in from the corners 300 one way and 400 the other and distance across them should be 500mm, any day you learn something is a good one.
Anyway I’ve got it mocked up for now with some holes drilled, I’ve had to split one sleeper so I don’t need to dig deeper than I have to, over the next couple of weekends I’m hoping to get this dug out, concreted and sleepers mounted. Here’s some pics of the mock up, as you can see, plenty more work to do.
IMG_9231.jpeg
IMG_9230.jpeg

IMG_9229.jpeg

cammas

Seamstress
Finally sorted Stage 1 of the retaining wall out the front. The rest will get done after the slab is extended (with a ring beam) and the new verandah addition is up. So that could take a while. I've averaged two gabion baskets a day...View attachment 407757
I thought about using them out front a couple places near by have them and they look good when done, but my client, I mean Mrs Cammas, didn’t like that idea. I’m glad she agreed to the rock wall for out front, otherwise it was going to be concrete sleepers, which meant a lot more work for me.

cammas

Seamstress
So after the near miss last weekend with the gas line, I was able to set all the posts. I had to get another 7 sleepers as I was concerned with the dirt bleeding out the bottom on to the toppings once I put that down, so some sleepers are now partially buried. I also put half a meter of scoria all the way round the inside and some spots on the outside so the water doesn’t sit there and hopefully extending the life of the sleepers a little longer.

No photos as I was was struggling to move in the end, the client came out to have a look and Mrs Cammas was very pleased with the outcome, we discussed the next stage. One section will be simple as it’s two sleepers and three posts from the garden section I just built to the wall next to the driveway.

The other section will not be as simple, as that section slopes towards the front and to the side, Mrs Cammas has trouble walking so I want to make that section reasonably flat. Then I can put a small outdoor setting there so she can sit there, out of the view of the bogans next door and she can enjoy the garden. The decision will be to get someone in to cut it out for me, hire a bit of kit and do it myself or just do it by hand, I don’t think someone will do it as it’s such a small job with minimal access.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Despite the inclements we are experiencing I bought my bigger battery chainsaw. Yes I know that there are cheaper options but I wanted a true petrol saw alternative and stuck with names.

I ended up with a Husqvarna 540iXP. Only sold with a 14" bar and 0.325" chain but can take a 16" bar which will be optioned when this dies or I need some more length. Did a test cut on some fallen wattle limbs and I am heartily impressed. Back to back with the Husqvarna petrol saw there was no difference in cutting other than the battery version is quieter, virtually no vibration and doesn't stink. In fact I reckon the battery version was faster though that could be new chain vs wonky filed chain by yours truly. Husky at the moment have an offer that you get a free battery of the same size you bought if you buy selected gear and the saw was on the list thus I went for the big mother to maximise the freeness. I grabbed a brushcutter too but will wait for some solid ground before giving that a test run. Oh and after 15 minutes cutting the battery was still showing 4 bars of green meaning between 75 and 100% left.