Burners' Backyards: Veggies, Gardening, Landscape & Design

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
If squint a little and have one of those boundless imaginations we were discussing earlier you can almost feel the radiating heat and hear the crackling.
FirePit_Ortho-01.jpeg

Last edited:

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
So I'm laying the outer skin with Loc-A-Bloc concrete blocks to match the existing retaining walls around the yard and had been told that I should line the inside with something that will better handle the heat. Any recommendations please @silentbutdeadly?
Got any idea of the size you need? I can look into it. We get them from our fireplace suppliers and they come in a LOT of sizes to suit different brands. No standards.... just like the bike industry!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
So I'm laying the outer skin with Loc-A-Bloc concrete blocks to match the existing retaining walls around the yard and had been told that I should line the inside with something that will better handle the heat. Any recommendations please @silentbutdeadly?
You can can get this stuff called (I think) Firecrete. Which is a heat resistant mortar...

Our fire pit is still in many pieces...about 18 plough discs so far.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Got any idea of the size you need? I can look into it. We get them from our fireplace suppliers and they come in a LOT of sizes to suit different brands. No standards.... just like the bike industry!
Thanks foxpuppet, I'll send you a message with the details.

You can can get this stuff called (I think) Firecrete. Which is a heat resistant mortar...

Our fire pit is still in many pieces...about 18 plough discs so far.
Sounds interesting, I'll look into it. It's quite possible that I'm overthinking the whole thing but I'd rather only do it once.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Yeah, I've been under the pump lately but once the fire pit is in and cranking there'll be no more excuses.
Hopefully to rival the inaugural world champs? Were any burners there?

https://www.bikemag.com/news/world-championships-xc-competitions-begin-in-canberra/ (scroll down a bit and there's some name dropping)

Also fuck you Wikipedia:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pump_track

#fakenews

Attachments

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Hopefully to rival the inaugural world champs? Were any burners there?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pump_track

#fakenews
I smell a conspiracy.

2009 article - “ Heading into the event, UK rider Brendan Fairclough was a hot favorite, but a timing error in his final run saw him having to repeat the performance on tired legs. He still managed to walk away with a very nice surfboard as a consolation prize.”

Wiki shows 2018 PTWC as being hosted by Velosolutions.... who is run by one Claudio Caluori, team manager for Scott.... who sponsors one Brendan Fairclough..... doesn’t even surf!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Only got home in the dark, but thanks to the previous owner wiring up some LED floodlights, you can see what I've got to work with. This shot is taken facing west. Our firepit is on the paved patio upside down because we had some good rain last night.

I also mowed it yesterday with one of those old school hand push mowers. Forget "if you've got a door, you've got a gym".. all you need is a backyard with those things.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Coke, are you just throwing the wood inside the bricks and burning them there? Cheapest option would be some castable refractory that you can buy in bags and tgen just plaster the inside. My firepit is steel and sits semi recessed in an outer pit of house bricks and I have had no problems. I am going to rework the area and the pit will stay much the same.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
party at Cos$2 place
I'll cook the Barbie, Poods can serve the Java
what did you say your address was again, promise I won't tell!
Burners welcome any time, although you'll need to pick Poodle up on your way, it's a bit far for his tired legs.

Coke, are you just throwing the wood inside the bricks and burning them there? Cheapest option would be some castable refractory that you can buy in bags and tgen just plaster the inside. My firepit is steel and sits semi recessed in an outer pit of house bricks and I have had no problems. I am going to rework the area and the pit will stay much the same.
Yes, it will be somewhere to pile up and burn all the sticks that drop in the yard from the Gumtrees. The castable refractory looks similar to the motar silentbutdeadly mentioned earlier, I assume you just trowel it on, have you used this product before?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I smell a conspiracy.

2009 article - “ Heading into the event, UK rider Brendan Fairclough was a hot favorite, but a timing error in his final run saw him having to repeat the performance on tired legs. He still managed to walk away with a very nice surfboard as a consolation prize.”

Wiki shows 2018 PTWC as being hosted by Velosolutions.... who is run by one Claudio Caluori, team manager for Scott.... who sponsors one Brendan Fairclough..... doesn’t even surf!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Talk about a cover up what a fucking rort. Those local heroes deserve recognition. I remember there being some pretty cool photos in the Australian mtb maps at the time.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
All right @Elbo that is an easy yard to work with, lucky you!

• Is there any boggy spots that hold water? Lucky there was rain last night.
  • I can see a bit of a slope around the paved area, is that continued down the yard?

You need to get that citrus tree on the left thinned out and trimmed back before spring if you want a good harvest next season. Have you started a piss bank? You'll want to collect and store all your piss for that tree and any others you have.

That is a pretty sweet Christmas tree down in the back. It looks like a spruce? They are very pretty. Hopefully you don't have significant pipe work down there?

My last house was on a pretty much flat block with terrible soil over really shitty rubble fill. I wanted to build up a garden around the square(ish) fence line but didn't have much in the way of coins for an elaborate edging system. I made a few trips to the local tyre shop to collect old shit tyres. I used these to build up a bit of a terrace system that was mostly 2 tyres high, with a few 3 or 4 stacks to break up the monotony. I then just purchased a lot of cheap potting mix and filled them. I also had a good compost heap that produced some really fertile additional material. Lastly I brought a lot of used coffee grinds home from work. There are arguments for and against the coffee in the garden. It worked out really well for me and was part of converting my shitty soil into a reasonably fertile garden border. I was aboy to grow an assortment of decorative plants and fruit/vegetables in there as well. I had a pretty relaxed approach to what grew, the food items were a result of going through the compost and me then forgetting to harvest them. Everything else low was cuttings I cultivated. Then I put on some small citrus trees and a frangipani, these grew up to around 1-2m. I was really pleased with how well this worked out. Fuck all work (I'm pretty lazy about yard care), pretty cheap (garden was the bottom of my list for things to spend money on), and pleasant to look at. By the time I sold the house you couldn't tell there was tyres holding it together, I had to point it out to the buyers.

Aside from wanting to out do @cokeonspecialtwodollars pump track, do you have a dream out come yet?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Burners welcome any time, although you'll need to pick Poodle up on your way, it's a bit far for his tired legs.

Yes, it will be somewhere to pile up and burn all the sticks that drop in the yard from the Gumtrees. The castable refractory looks similar to the motar silentbutdeadly mentioned earlier, I assume you just trowel it on, have you used this product before?
Not me personally applying but tonnes of it is used in power boilers. Easy to use, readily trowelable.