Burnouts - what's the appeal...?

stoo

Likes Dirt
Nobody gets burnouts, really?
What about big bonfires, blowing shit up etc. Huge flames and kabooms are ace fun, as are third gear redline burnouts on the Veefer. If a back tyre was going to the tip anyway why not give it a proper sendoff and piss my neighbours off all at once?
My cars aren't suitable for burnouts though and perhaps I have grown up a little but I still see the fun in burnouts, hell yeah!

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
was coming back from doing a 12 hour race years ago (was a 24h race, we did the 12, so finished at midnight), on way home discovered the road closed.
Turns out some young guys were out and about, one guy decides to get out, take a leak or something, buddy decides to do burnout, kills his buddy. All bad.

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
See...all skillz[video=youtube;SMp3WyPdj8I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMp3WyPdj8I[/video]

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Good thing they're going slow enough to be safe huh?

Watch 4x4's spinning all four up a rock face, that's a burn out. My first burn out was bad, drive an auto and then jump in the bmw to grab some dinner, pissing down with rain and tried to take off like it was the Subaru to get across an intersection. Had plenty enough time but just sat there spinning until the traffic had to slow down, slowly pulling into the intersection looking like a dick head. Grabbed second and then she struggled across the road an inch away from stalling. Sometimes slow autos are nice.

cracker

Likes Dirt
i used to find them fun when i was younger... nothing like dropping the clutch form 6500rpm in 2nd and hearing a 5.7L v8 do its best at sounding really pissed off.

for the most part pointless, harmless fun, think its something you grow out of though... however once the rear tyre on the dirtbike looses its edge its always more fun to do skids with it then just throw it out.

Last edited:

stirk

Burner
[video=youtube;45JP45Z4lyQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45JP45Z4lyQ[/video]
Fark that's funny, he injured his toe, looked like a bindii, he should turn his post burn out worn down tyres into thongs.

Ha-ha, old guy is fed up to the point he's shooting up cars and his house! That's actually scary!

dcrofty

Eats Squid
one of these days my camry is gonna throw in the towel if I keep treating it like this.
Unlikely. Post apocalypse the world will consist of cockroaches, toyota camrys and those little silver bits of foil off the end of calippos

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Funny. And they let people like that breed... :(

I still don't get it. No skill, no finesse, no interest.

This is more my style - 0.9 3 cylinders

[video=youtube_share;tmZMwk14r4c]https://youtu.be/tmZMwk14r4c[/video]

Olie1584

Likes Dirt
I used to like doing burnouts...

[video=youtube;QWCTyvhKPnk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWCTyvhKPnk[/video]

I'll fix that audio sync one day. lol

MtbDjRidaSachaz66

Likes Dirt
I just fail to understand the burnout phenomena.
I find myself wondering about the psychology - beyond the obvious conclusion they're pea brained dickless wonders with too much time in their hands.
Any clues...?
Spoke my mind. Felt I was the only one among my riding mates that thinks like this.

I ask them questions about it - why they enjoy it, what the appeal is so forth, whilst I tell them that I don't endorse it nor do I oppose it. I merely accept it, and don't give a shit about it quite frankly. They give me dirty looks and stare me down as if I'm weird and from another planet with a fucked up head. *shrugs shoulders* Tells me that it's the adrenaline, fun, and more blah blah along those lines. Still doesn't appeal to me. They keep asking me to get a faster car for skids, drifts and all the sorts - still don't give a shit. I'm satisfied with the small, cheap, reliable Mitsibushi Mirage that gets me from point A to B, with my bikes, without dramas, and without pissing other people off which is one thing I dislike doing.

I think didly86 nailed it - fairly inexpensive, naturally attracts poorer/younger people - fits the description for some of my riding mates.

Don't know why I just put out my life story on Rotorburn.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I ask them questions about it - why they enjoy it, what the appeal is so forth, whilst I tell them that I don't endorse it nor do I oppose it. I merely accept it, and don't give a shit about it quite frankly. They give me dirty looks and stare me down as if I'm weird and from another planet with a fucked up head. *shrugs shoulders* Tells me that it's the adrenaline, fun, and more blah blah along those lines. Still doesn't appeal to me. They keep asking me to get a faster car for skids, drifts and all the sorts - still don't give a shit. I'm satisfied with the small, cheap, reliable Mitsibushi Mirage that gets me from point A to B, with my bikes, without dramas, and without pissing other people off which is one thing I dislike doing.

Hold up a bit. Drifting is like shredding but on 4 wheels. No problems with drifting. It's actually very difficult to master.

MtbDjRidaSachaz66

Likes Dirt
Hold up a bit. Drifting is like shredding but on 4 wheels. No problems with drifting. It's actually very difficult to master.
Kinda made a mistake on including drifting in my post above... As the topic is more on burnouts specifically. Aaaaaand drifting is actually a bit fun for me, whilst I never or at least very rarely do it.

Watching drifting can be impressive to say the least, especially of some guy in a black ute doing a long arse drift on a roundabout which made it on to Channel 7 or 9 news about Australian's "Hoon Culture" being "out of control". Just so happened to watch it whilst scrolling through the Book of Face.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Kinda made a mistake on including drifting in my post above... As the topic is more on burnouts specifically. Aaaaaand drifting is actually a bit fun for me, whilst I never or at least very rarely do it.

Watching drifting can be impressive to say the least, especially of some guy in a black ute doing a long arse drift on a roundabout which made it on to Channel 7 or 9 news about Australian's "Hoon Culture" being "out of control". Just so happened to watch it whilst scrolling through the Book of Face.
Yeah drifting a fwd! You give me enough dirt and rain the Subaru will slide too! Fucking bray doing a burn out on the road outside the local track pissed me off. Gives us a great name, dick head.

Neighbor girl just got her license and she's almost taken me out twice. Cuts bang on the apex of the street and then slams the brakes to avoid me in her fully sick Commodore. I'm about to lose mine actually, guess I can't talk but fuck, so many mates on p's doing dumber shit than I have never getting touched by the cops annoys me. Having your license less than a week and hitting 220 on the m4 and I'm losing mine for 80 on a fucking highway! Grumble grumble...

MtbDjRidaSachaz66

Likes Dirt
Yeah drifting a fwd! You give me enough dirt and rain the Subaru will slide too! Fucking bray doing a burn out on the road outside the local track pissed me off. Gives us a great name, dick head.

Neighbor girl just got her license and she's almost taken me out twice. Cuts bang on the apex of the street and then slams the brakes to avoid me in her fully sick Commodore. I'm about to lose mine actually, guess I can't talk but fuck, so many mates on p's doing dumber shit than I have never getting touched by the cops annoys me. Having your license less than a week and hitting 220 on the m4 and I'm losing mine for 80 on a fucking highway! Grumble grumble...
For sure man, can't resist a slice of rally car driving now can we?! Fun almost no matter the car lol.

Yup, doing it smack in the suburb whilst we can visibly be seen as mountainbikers was a dumb move. If you tell him not to do it, he would just say he doesn't give a fuck, and "I do whatever the fuck I want". Hate that attitude. Usually a nice guy and all, but can be selfish and such a show-off at times. Generally it goes to shit in the wrong hands, at the wrong place, at the wrong time.

Mate, half of our LUMPS crew are young, so it's almost a natural thing to happen. Culture plays a big influence too. I admit I've done plenty of dumb shit as the dumb person I am, but not while driving (touch wood).