Bushwalking in the Blue Mountains

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
Hi all,

My partner and I are looking to do some bushwalking tomorrow (Anzac Day) in the Blue Mountains. We are both pretty fit and looking to do a 2-3 hour hike.

I have kind of narrowed my search down to 2 tracks which are the Grand Canyon Walk (4.5km) and National Pass (6km). Both take around 2.5 - 3.5hrs apparently. Does anyone have any recommendations as to which one to pick or have any other suggestions?

Cheers ,
Bryce

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I've done the National Pass, plenty for stairs to get down to the start of the walk too. The stairs aren't a bunch of fun :|

Worth doing, but it will be busy tomorrow though.

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
I'm skipping leg day today in preparation for steps haha. Yeah I kinda figured the tracks might be busy. But it's rare to have a day off without kids to do this kinda thing. I am leaning towards the Grand Canyon Walk. It's graded a bit easier and about 20mins closer to drive which gives us more walking time.

Comic Book Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
National Pass is closed indefinitely due to a rock fall that killed someone. Which is a pity as it is a classic mountains walk.

Grand Canyon is a ripper of a walk. I've done it a few times. Park at the top of the walk finish point: https://goo.gl/maps/Kxe4rKCQeWtvB5fB8 and walk down to Evans Lookout along the path that parallels the road. Do the walk back up the canyon from Evans Lookout. Hope your knees are in good condition.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Narrowneck is a fire trail plod and the return trip is 20km. But it is an excellent walk. The road leading up to the NP gate is in shite condition so caution is required.
A nicer ride, sort of like bushwalking but you can sit also down and have WooHoo bits. Pity they graded it years ago that got ride of most of the flat clinky stones near the end that were a hoot to skate across when riding along at speed.

Agreed about the road up to the gate but our humble little 1.3 Suzuki hauls it in with ease.

Worth it for the views alone.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
don't even talk to me about stairs, I have just gotten back from completing the Inca Trail in Peru, one section is a reward for completing the highest pass on the trail at 4215m which consists of a 3 hour smash down massive stairs in the pouring rain, followed by another 2 hour steep climb back up and 2 hours down some more massive slippery stairs...but it sure was fun!
Is there some good walks up Jamisons valley that may not be quite so busy tomorrow, or go and do a section of the 6foot track!

Comic Book Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mt Banks would be good. The top of Mt Banks is overgrown so the views can be obstructed. It probably would be a lot quieter than the south side of the Grose Valley.

Lockleys Pylon is another great walk. Not hard at all and the views are great. It is worth the little extra effort to go out to Du Faur Head. It does get busy but if you get there early enough you wont have problems parking. Mt Hay Rd can be rough in parts, the last time I was out there it was OK.

Mt Banks would be good. The top of Mt Banks is overgrown so the views can be obstructed. It probably would be a lot quieter than the south side of the Grose Valley.

Lockleys Pylon is another great walk. Not hard at all and the views are great. It is worth the little extra effort to go out to Du Faur Head. It does get busy but if you get there early enough you wont have problems parking. Mt Hay Rd can be rough in parts, the last time I was out there it was OK.
My Hay= butter box canyon ( to me)

Just fantastic, was the second canyon I ever did. It was the start of a big shift for me.

stirk

Burner
Damn seeing this too late! I'd have recommended a trail you'd walk and scamper about rocks that are less traveled and on most days rare to see others. Even have a swim. No canyon like cliffs and breathtaking views, just raw bush with a lovely sandy waterhole at the end, the breathtaking is the climb out!

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Damn seeing this too late! I'd have recommended a trail you'd walk and scamper about rocks that are less traveled and on most days rare to see others. Even have a swim. No canyon like cliffs and breathtaking views, just raw bush with a lovely sandy waterhole at the end, the breathtaking is the climb out!
Please recommend said trail for my future reference.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid

+1 for lockleys, kind of off the beaten track and a bit more of an adventure. Walk isn’t that long though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeBloot

Feeling old
+1 for lockleys, Walk isn’t that long though.

You can walk down to the river if you keep following the trail past De Faur head
Haven't done it in a long time
It's quite steep, relatively exposed in one part I remember
If you're Ok with heights and traversing sheer drops with a foot or two of trail you'll be fine
It was when I first moved up here and was pretty nervous knowing I had to cross again on the way back up
Probably not as bad as i remember it though