Buxton and Lake Mountain Thread

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rode the full Lake Mountain descent for the 2nd time and first time for the final little sector along the river into Marysville on new years day.
There is no doubt this is a physical trail, hard going if you punch it all out in one go or don't take your time. Plan a good 3 hours if you don't want to feel rushed and have time to look around at some of the great new features they're still building.

I managed to catch a lift up with the Lake Mountain experience manager who told me they now have a full time trail builder on staff, I passed him on the way down actually working on new years day! So seems only more awesomeness to come!

There were new A lines on the top section and some bigger gap jumps on the new third sector final section into Marysville, but I was too buggered at that stage to hit them lol.

The trail itself was very dusty and blown out in places but still awesome and worth the uphill sections.

This is a video I put together of my run, might give you an idea of the condition of different sections as you work your way down.
Sorry is a long video, but has to be to show all the different sections.

orco

Likes Bikes
Finally went out yesterday and bit of a scorcher. Lots of climbing but good trail. Very loose on some sections. Next time I might just try to do 2 shuttles from the halfway point, top is techy and challengingto ride but wears you out so that I have no energy to actually enjoy the bottom bit.
Not being very fit myself, is there anyway to access the descending part of the trail from Lake Mountain Road?

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Not being very fit myself, is there anyway to access the descending part of the trail from Lake Mountain Road?
The shuttle can drop you off at the bottom of lake mountain road. Just tell the shuttle guy and he will load your bike accordingly. This will bypass a lot of the gnarly rocky stuff up top which saps energy. You will however still have to climb about 150m vertical immediately which is manageable for most riders who can do a regular mtb loop.

The other option of course is to skip the upper trails and simply ride down the road since it's all downhill. You paid for the shuttle, might as well enjoy it, even if it's not shredding.

OCD'R

Likes Dirt
Anyone going to the LM shuttle/demo day today? Keen to hear how it all goes and you found the day over previous years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ttnguyen133

Likes Bikes
We did the cascades trail yesterday. Conditions were a touch warm but otherwise almost perfect.

We are not a fit bunch so the physicality of the trail wrecked us haha. Took some fire road alternatives and didn't do the very last bit to Marysville and this took us almost 5 hours to 'complete'. All in all, was a great day out on some great varied trails.

Views from the summit never gets old.

tobbogonist

a registered member
Hey looking at doing Lake Mountain next weekend with a mate. He is not particulary fit and I am trying to convince him. I have not been there myself but looking at the trails it seems possible for two gents with two cars to leave one car at the top and one at the bottom of the trail for an easy back and forward once done.
Is this possible and relatively straight forward?

OCD'R

Likes Dirt
Mtn is shut this weekend for a car rally. If you scroll Down for the dates you said you were going you can book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah the shuttle makes more sense, its only $25 and will save the back and forwards off the mountain again.

I did it again a couple of weeks back, this was our day out.

Last edited:

tobbogonist

a registered member
Thanks man, I will check it out. I guess im so used to everything getting cancelled lately I presumed it was the same thing.

Also Chriso it was one of your videos that made me want to check it out in the first place.

tobbogonist

a registered member
I've been trying to get up there since Christmas and keep getting thwarted.
My wonderful partner has agreed to shuttle me Sat if i can then drive her home later after few wines with friend.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've been trying to get up there since Christmas and keep getting thwarted.
My wonderful partner has agreed to shuttle me Sat if i can then drive her home later after few wines with friend.
Last post on instagram was the mandatory closure until 11th May. But no update to say it has opened.

Still showing closed on Vicroads site, but also showing the same date! Maybe give one of those numbers a call?

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I would suggest they would have pulled up stumps on the MTB season now with the closures.
No point clearing all the trees leading into snow season

Could be wrong - @OCD'R is on the ground there I believe?