Buxton and Lake Mountain Thread

Big JD

Wheel size expert
But no single person can decide what's best (or not best) for all the different types of riders out there.

MTB Media would beg to differ with you NP as too would many bike manufacturers - they know what is best for you. I am simply saying that - I dont buy it and Buxton is a clear example of that

Beej1

you missed the point NP and once again take it all wrong
You're right. I understand now ... I thought you were talking about the hamburger and got confused.

... i aint telling you what to ride- you can ride whatever you want but please dont tell me that the current crop of Enduro bikes are the ideal "one" bike.
Psssst .... i'll tell you a secret. I didn't say this. But don't tell anyone.

Last edited:

eastie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What i love about lake mountain is the rock and natural feature it has for the most. The bit near the top that is bermed shits me to tears. I can often be seen crying just after it, wondering how a beautiful mountain trail that has so much potential could be so munted. People other than me obviously like that shit. I forget about it at the end and its all smiles.

Last edited:

gregp

Likes Dirt
Lake Mountain was a completely different kettle of fish. I absolutely loved lake mountain, and given the 2 are so close I doubt I'll bother going back to Buxton any time soon, I'd rather just do an extra lap at lake mountain.
EDIT: Strava tells me we only rode 10km at Lake Mountain, still find that hard to believe..
Hi mate, I was going to head there last Monday too, but expected to be all alone and chickened out because of the snake season. Agree with you, it's a fun trail, love the various rock outcrops along the trail.

Quick question about the trail condition: what was the second part of the loop like, especially the section that takes you to the very bottom after you cross the main road? I was there in May and it was heavily overgrown by the surrounding bushes and in a need of some serious hedge trimmer action. You couldn't see the trail. Given my snake phobia not ideal conditions at all...

And yeah, it's a 10km loop. I wish the top section with all the granite was much longer and had more vertical...

petertronica

Likes Dirt
Hi mate, I was going to head there last Monday too, but expected to be all alone and chickened out because of the snake season. Agree with you, it's a fun trail, love the various rock outcrops along the trail.

Quick question about the trail condition: what was the second part of the loop like, especially the section that takes you to the very bottom after you cross the main road? I was there in May and it was heavily overgrown by the surrounding bushes and in a need of some serious hedge trimmer action. You couldn't see the trail. Given my snake phobia not ideal conditions at all...

And yeah, it's a 10km loop. I wish the top section with all the granite was much longer and had more vertical...

Wasn't overgrown at all. Pretty much perfect condition, could hit it all at full pace.

Didn't even see any snakes. Grant tells me I did ride over the tip of a copperhead's tail at Buxton (he was following and saw it move), I though it was a stick. Snake was unharmed.

After we finished riding at Lake Mountain, the Ranger strolled over and had a chat. He told us that they were in the final stages of getting approval to extend the trail all the way down to the gates where you pay to get in in winter. I got the impression that we could have this new trail as soon as next season. Following construction of this trail, he says the plan is to then extend the trail all the way down to Marysville. Fingers crossed it all goes ahead, as this would be an amazing trail!

OCD'R

Likes Dirt
Trail extension to ticket box is on schedule for completion for Granite Grind weekend in mid Feb.

Trail to Marysville is planned but various land holders are yet to sign off - it's been in the planning process for some years.

Thomas11

Likes Dirt
But no single person can decide what's best (or not best) for all the different types of riders out there.

MTB Media would beg to differ with you NP as too would many bike manufacturers - they know what is best for you. I am simply saying that - I dont buy it and Buxton is a clear example of that
You sound like one of those old guys at a pub telling the young kids what it was like back in his day.

"I used to do 50ft gap jumps to flat on a Malvern Star Hardtail with no suspension my mother bought me from Target. Now all these young kids are bouncing around on their 6'' carbon fancy things..... blah blah blah"

Who cares what people ride and where they ride it. The best bike for the trails your riding is the one your riding at the time.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
You sound like one of those old guys at a pub telling the young kids what it was like back in his day.

"I used to do 50ft gap jumps to flat on a Malvern Star Hardtail with no suspension my mother bought me from Target. Now all these young kids are bouncing around on their 6'' carbon fancy things..... blah blah blah"

Who cares what people ride and where they ride it. The best bike for the trails your riding is the one your riding at the time.
Oh FFS you lot amaze me- I aint telling people what to ride in general or at Buxton- I have simply highlighted the rise and rise of Enduro style bikes dispite the lack of trail development to warrant it in this country. That media is awash with Enduro everything and so are the trails and my LBS.

You ride whatever you want mate - I am just making an observation

I also dont like the standardisation/ cookie cutter approach to many new trails- which I also highlighted.......... and is just my opinion but also considered by others

I also mentioned that Buxton is super smooth and groomed and it surprised me that 3/4 of all the riders I saw were on 5-6 inch travel bikes. That is not to say they should be or I am suggesting they cant.

If I sound old it is because I am and I never owned a Malvern Star and my mother never brought me a bike. I have been riding offroad for 38 years and seen it all over those years. I should not be labelled a bitter old fu#K because I raised an opinion/ observation.

Obviously this Buxton thread is not the place for a discussion on the trails/ bikes/ scene/ opinions/ hamburgers at Buxton.

Forget i even mentioned it- get your collective nickers in a twist- "someones telling me I cant ride my 6 inch enduro bike, blah blah blah"

As you were

piker

Likes Dirt
And I thought this thread was about Alice Coopers guitarist G Buxton.

Next time I ride Buxton I'm taking the dragster!

big gags

Likes Bikes
I'm with you on this one JD…….last time I rode out there we had a heap of single speeds and most of them with a rigid fork (I must admit that one guy had gears and a dually though).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nE-SmOHBW4&list=UUAaw5htVTNe-tfAxgdIQ6nw

The trails were a bit wet on that day and riding the Krampus with 29+ Knard tyres was a blast - once they filled up with mud they were pretty slick and I had plenty of back wheel sliding going on…..need to get out there again soon!!

Gags

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Perhaps I've taken it off topic, I started the thread for info on the trails, conditions, local group rides, plans and general messages. Where people could organize to meet others for a ride.

I will take my Euro Enduro questions to the All mountain thread ........ That should go down a treat.

Back on topic please (my fault) otherwise people with a genuine interest in riding the trails and hetting info have to troll through pages of banter to find something of value.

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
Hey dudes. Anyone doing the 6 hr that hasn't left yet that can throw in a spare helmet and gloves?
Swapped cars and managed to leave one bag behind.
No denying it, I'm a fuckwit, but no other option for me other than to beg/borrow at this point.
Anyone? Text me on 0408820237 if you can help me out.
Ta cobs's.

ndc

Likes Bikes
Trail extension to ticket box is on schedule for completion for Granite Grind weekend in mid Feb.

Trail to Marysville is planned but various land holders are yet to sign off - it's been in the planning process for some years.
Wow, fantastic news!

Is the track which goes through Snowy Hill open?

Has anyone ridden the Lady Talbot Drive and Upper Taggerty Rd dirt roads from Lake Mountain to Marysville recently? I was wanting to know if they are currently accessible or blocked by fallen trees.