Buxton and Lake Mountain Thread

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
I turned up to the ticket box at LM at about 11 to be told that they weren't selling shuttle tickets any more :( Was absolutely gutted and sorta wandered around in a daze for about a minute trying to process the news that I'd driven nearly 2 hours to be told I couldn't go. In the end decided I'd ride the old section with my son and nephew then ride back up the road to the car and pick them up at the bottom. Ended up being a good ride and I have respect for the roadies I see riding up from Marysville, it's a tough old slog.
you should have just ridden & jumped on a shuttle, they weren’t checking wrist bands..or told em yours broke

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
I turned up to the ticket box at LM at about 11 to be told that they weren't selling shuttle tickets any more :( Was absolutely gutted and sorta wandered around in a daze for about a minute trying to process the news that I'd driven nearly 2 hours to be told I couldn't go. In the end decided I'd ride the old section with my son and nephew then ride back up the road to the car and pick them up at the bottom. Ended up being a good ride and I have respect for the roadies I see riding up from Marysville, it's a tough old slog.

Thanks to the club and volunteers on the day, I saw the last shuttles loading up at 4.30 (plenty of room on them but who could have predicted?) so it was a long day for many people. I'm curious to see what happens in the area, will this be a one off trail? There are some other tracks up at the top I've never ridden, and with Buxton nearby and Warburton coming online in the near future it seems like this area has a good future for us.
Shuttles were meant to finish at 3:00 but I guess the time it takes to ride the whole trail meant there would have been many stranded at the bottom if they did.

I got to the top at around 2:00 and as we got off the shuttle, we were told that if we rode to the bottom again, we'd be on our own.

There were around 400 riders but it's odd they stopped selling tickets that early.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
i would like some info from those who rode, my 2.25 nobby nic was deficient, what tyre size were peeps riding & feel comfortable with, eg 2.4 dhf/hr etc?

OCD'R

Likes Dirt
There were only a handful of people turned away from shuttles, in hindsight we should’ve sold the tickets. Consensus was 400 plus the 100 or so that did their own shuttles was maxing out the trail. The influx of people did stop abruptly so the we were assuming 11am riders were still coming in thick and fast.

Reason we were doing straggler shuttles until 4:30 was to ensure we did not leave any one behind - wrist band or not. Also what a lot of people saw on the last shuttles was a group that did the trail sweep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sundy

Likes Dirt
All things considered, I thought it was a great day. I only did one run, but for $20 I have no complaints.
Thanks to those who volunteered their time.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The thing with these events is you won’t ever please everyone and you are catering to an extremely wide range of riders.

There were people walking the first climb out of the car park on the first run at 9am (even E-Bike riders)
You can do all the planning in the world to make things run smoothly, but the variance in fitness and ability is huge. Particularly on a challenging point to point ride

Travis22

Likes Dirt
i would like some info from those who rode, my 2.25 nobby nic was deficient, what tyre size were peeps riding & feel comfortable with, eg 2.4 dhf/hr etc?
My general trail riding tires these days are the 2.35 Adrent Race front and back, i used to run the 2.25 RaRa’s and Nobby Nics exclusively for the last couple years and they are great fast rolling XC tires. When i bought some wider rims i found the 2.25” tires just square up to much for my liking hence changing to the 2.35 Ardent Race. But when doing something more gravity related i put the Minions on (again these are on the wider wheelset), DHF 2.5WT front and 2.4 DHR2 WT rear. If your current wheels suit the 2.25’s then id suggest running the 2.3 Minions, they are still a hell of a lot of tire for that sort of riding.

The first half of the ride (village to the ticket booth) i was thinking i shouldnt have bothered with the Minions, but the second i hit the ‘big’ new descent i was sure as hell glad id made the tire change for the day. The confidence these tires give me when it starts getting rough is unbelievable. I had zero ‘moments’ on the descent so i was again really happy to be running the Minions in the end.

I cannot believe how clean the trail looks in chris’s video above, was a completely different trail by the time i was on it!

Travis

Travis22

Likes Dirt
Generally speaking im not often caught out with what to expect if i can see the details on paper first. 25km, 400ish up and lots of down... Piece of cake, figured id do 2 maybe 3 runs, hahahahaha yeh well that didnt happen!

Id like to think im not quite 100% yet (kids back at school and kinder, bringing home all sorts of bugs, so ive just come off 2 weeks of antibiotics) but what i was expecting yesterday and what i got couldnt have been further apart. I thankfully left the full face and pads in the car!

That is the toughest 400m of climbing ive ever done lol. Hopefully my body just wasnt quite ready after illness to go that hard but i do think a lot of the climbing in the new section could have been routed a little better. Its made for ebikes. The climbing on the first half was 10:10 awesome, felt like Stonefly etc a bit. (Supersonic madness on strava?) Probably didnt help operating with 50% lung capacity with the other half full of dust! ;)

Travis.

Boom King

Michelin Wild Enduro Front and Rear, 27.5 x 2.4. They stuck like shit to a blanket! Couldn't believe the grip I had.

kbekus

Likes Dirt
I had pretty solid grip with a Hans Damp 2.4 on the front but then my pace is not exactly hot. No real issues though with the many dusty hairpin corners.

Boom King

I, like many, thought I would get two runs in looking at the numbers. I was also one of many who were completely spent after one run. I reckon I'll pop some food in my camelbak next time though...

On the subject of food, the cafe obviously didn't expect the numbers either. We got there just after 2:00 with a bunch of stuff unavailable. My son and I ordered a chicken souvlaki, when they arrived, the lass said they had run out of lettuce so they packed in more meat and added extra chips.

Everyone involved should be very proud of how the whole day went down. I heard nothing but positives from everyone I spoke to.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
My first time at LM. Personally i loved the first half more then the machine cut bull dusty ‘flow’ section.

Give me techy rocky climbs and descents any day over the flow. Dont get me wrong tho, the main descent in the new section is probably the best ive ridden of that kind (havent been to Tas) but it was so blown out it wasnt funny, half the time i could barely see the trail through the dust.

The drive out there from SE Melb (well the drive home really) just sucks, id much rather drive to Buller for Epic or any of the Gippsland trails.

Travis.
Got any recommendations for Gippsland trails worthy of a day visit?

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was on high roller 2, 2.4in front and rear. But as you can see from my video's I had grip issues lol. Part 3 for the stack!
Was probably more to do with my poor riding than the tyres ha ha.

My shuttle arrived back up the top at about 11:45am, all car parks were over flowing with about 200m's of cars parked down the road. Everyone in the shuttle van could not believe the turnout! We were shocked, car park was qtr full when we set off. So little suprise they got worried and started turning down shuttle passes.

I turned up not knowing what to expect, never been there and had never done a shuttle before. I thought it all went really well. Will be back again.

ttnguyen133

Likes Bikes
My GPS reported similar numbers of 400s, though it looks like it crapped itself at the end. If you let strava calculate the elevation, you get 600+.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep my phone said 644m, so I would say the true amount was 440 odd as per Booms GPS. Phones/strava are taking the gain off mapping instead of true I'd say.

Travis22

Likes Dirt
Yeh my strava has it at almost 600m. But my suunto which i generally trust pretty highly has it at 489m iirc. Either way the hardest day ive had on a bike in a long while!