Buxton and Lake Mountain Thread

Wake Jake

Eats Squid
I found the climb a bit of a slog but overall not overly difficult. That's me riding a 150mm 29er. I think there's some clarity needed by management to more accurately communicate the riders the difficulty of both the climbs and the final descent. I would be scared to ride it on anything close to an XC bike.

OCD'R

Likes Dirt
I found the climb a bit of a slog but overall not overly difficult. That's me riding a 150mm 29er. I think there's some clarity needed by management to more accurately communicate the riders the difficulty of both the climbs and the final descent. I would be scared to ride it on anything close to an XC bike.
Trail is rated blue. It isn’t green and it isn’t black. Was pretty clear with ‘7 significant climbs’ and expect 2.5 hours plus for intermediate rider...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Trail is rated blue. It isn’t green and it isn’t black. Was pretty clear with ‘7 significant climbs’ and expect 2.5 hours plus for intermediate rider...

That 2.5 hour bit played with my head. I chose to take it with a pinch of salt, much like the time estimates on most walking trails. I made the wrong choice.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
which was what i rode it on, i thought overall it was ok as an adv xc/trail bike trail...passed heaps on people on the 1st & then switchback climb..even on the last descent i wasn’t passed by many big travel guys, i think most were buggered from the climbing & little pinches, i think 4-5 went thru me..i expected more. most of the gravity guys looked wrecked from climbing...on my 2nd run the 1st section had none on it )12:30).

3-4 yrs ago when i went & did the top half 3 times, i passed a girl with her father on the switchback climb about 5km’s in, they were still heading down on my 2nd lap..she had a $400 mtb with shit brakes, & looked about 11. i query’d them...they said the day was advertised as a family fun day...2 tough climbs & descents she coudln’t ride, was a long day for their 1 run

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
That 2.5 hour bit played with my head. I chose to take it with a pinch of salt, much like the time estimates on most walking trails. I made the wrong choice.
i think our first run was just short of 2, 2nd run just over. i rode slowly as i knew it would b a big day, but i also didn’t take long rests as i saw many others doing

OCD'R

Likes Dirt
which was what i rode it on, i thought overall it was ok as an adv xc/trail bike trail...passed heaps on people on the 1st & then switchback climb..even on the last descent i wasn’t passed by many big travel guys, i think most were buggered from the climbing & little pinches, i think 4-5 went thru me..i expected more. most of the gravity guys looked wrecked from climbing...on my 2nd run the 1st section had none on it )12:30).

3-4 yrs ago when i went & did the top half 3 times, i passed a girl with her father on the switchback climb about 5km’s in, they were still heading down on my 2nd lap..she had a $400 mtb with shit brakes, & looked about 11. i query’d them...they said the day was advertised as a family fun day...2 tough climbs & descents she coudln’t ride, was a long day for their 1 run
The jumping castle and the kids race with icy poles was the family part... interesting to read how people absorb and process the info given to them. There’s a lot to learn for everyone

Zac Hinton

St Bernard
The descent part was like the mt Buller epic descent but on steroids. Very very similar to Maydena berms, no surprise though given who built it. If the rain gods had been nice it would of helped a lot. The climbing was challenging but if you just did the descent you would be stoked beyond belief. I got a headache the next day from the dust inhaled which was a new thing for me. Riding the fire road to omit the first climb is preferable for gravity fiends. So stoked that trails like this are being made for public access!

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I got over 600m too, both with the Garmin watch and with Strava. If it wasn't 600, it was a tough 400

I loved some sections, and didn't so much love others. Funnily enough, I reckon I had more fun on the old stuff than the new. Old stuff had some slippery dustbowls but the new trails had fist sized rocks strewn about through the slippery dust. I had an off (my fault, not the trail), and that damped my enthusiasm and ability for the nicer hardpack bits of the new descent, but I still reckon the old trails have more fun bits than the new ones.

I went into it expecting some climbs, I remembered them from last year, but I had been led to believe that the new section was less climby - I had been led to believe the wrong thing. I wasn't worn out for the new climbs, but I was over it by the time I got there. Part of the problem was that I wore goggles, that was a mistake, there is far too much undulating and they constantly fogged up.

All in all, I enjoyed it. Unfortunately I enjoy all trails so this has to be taken with a grain of salt

A trail bike would have been nicer for the climbs, but would have been less forgiving on the long descents.

My endurobro bike loved the descents, and was ok on the straight climbs, but was a pig on the switchbacks.

Forget about taking a dh bike, that would suck, no question about it.

If you're hardcore, or just happy to meander downwards then an xc bike could work, not ideal though.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I made up this quick little highlights video of the full trail for anyone interested.
Much easier to watch than the 45mins in the full videos I made. To much nice descending!
Links to the full 5 part videos are in the description if you did want to take a look.

orco

Likes Bikes
I know its a long shot but did anyone find a Bell 2R helmet black/grey (with facemask) at Buxton on Saturday evening?

OCD'R

Likes Dirt
Or what? Half of it is covered in snow as of last night. Trail opens officially in October (at this stage).

gillyske

Likes Dirt
Or what? Half of it is covered in snow as of last night. Trail opens officially in October (at this stage).

Hadn't heard of this until reading this thread, few posts up the thread were saying it might be a one off and I think I confused that to be a 1 off ride day haha. I'm so heart broken that I only found out about it when it had closed.
Been looking for something similar to the Blue Tier in Derby ever since going there a while ago.

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
Yep will be there if weather holds. My BOm mate says anything more than 48 hours out is below the 50% accuracy threshold (i.e. guessing).
Yeah makes sense. Looks like the trail gods have given us awesome weather for tomorrow!

I'll be getting there between 10.30 and 11 so say hi if you see a guy on a black Canyon.

If anyone wants to join, I'm planning on doing 3ish cruisy laps of the route I take which involves minimal climbing and maximum descending.