Buxton and Lake Mountain Thread

Big JD

Wheel size expert
I finished. That's all that you need to know :behindsofa:
well good for you Moorey- if I chose to ride around for 6 hours with 200 other muppets - I would be stoked to finish (without throttling someone) too.

Good trails hey mate

gregp

Likes Dirt
How's the Lake Mtn Granite Grind and the new downhill to the bottom of Lake Mtn Rd after the recent winds? Safe to ride this weekend?

waldog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Very keen to know if the top to bottom trail has had any maintenance? Rode it before the race/ride day that was on a while back and it was pretty messy.

Heading up this weekend.

Will be doing the double Buxton Mountain thing. Potentially the last chance this year.

waldog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Trail report.

Howdy team

So we did the Buxton and Lake Mountain today. Couple of things people should know.

There's a few trees down at Buxton, one on off camber, and another on the final descent down to the car park. Both are pretty spottable. Rest of the trails are in prime condition, except for a few berms starting to get pot holes in them. Good times.

Lake Mountain. A bit shagged really.

Granite Grind, trail 7, to the left of the road if you're coming up from Marysville has a lot of trees down, and some big buggers at that. They won't catch you unaware, but they're very annoying. From the summit down it's getting pretty wet, couple of bog holes developing and some sturdy looking ground ain't so sturdy when you hit it with your front tyre. It's riding days are numbered heading towards winter.

Grant.

apple

Squid
For much of the past 2 weeks Lake Mountain has been hit hard by storms and the trails have been closed for the worst of it. Expect trees & fire damaged debris on the trails which will not be cleaned up in the short term due to white season preparations. I'd suggest come back in spring unless any fatbikers want to tackle Snowy Hill to Mt Arnold in the white stuff

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Official word coming through Farcebook is that Buxton will reopen this weekend. The trails opened on schedule at the start of the school hols in September, but the shit weather forced them to close again until it dried out.

moorey

call me Mia
Official word coming through Farcebook is that Buxton will reopen this weekend. The trails opened on schedule at the start of the school hols in September, but the shit weather forced them to close again until it dried out.
You doing the boot camp again, duck? I'm far less fit than last years attempt which didn't go well...but I'll have a crack.

waldog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Howdy team

Anyone been out to Bucky and the mountain in the last few days? Considering a trip tomorrow.

apple

Squid
Howdy team

Anyone been out to Bucky and the mountain in the last few days? Considering a trip tomorrow.
Lake Mountain is in good shape, lots of storm damage sorted.
We have a new FB public group page called 'Lake Mountain Trails'. Its a spot to get reports, add photos/stories, feedback for any of our tracks/trails; MTB, xc skiing, snowshoe, walking etc

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Was out at Buxton today for the first time and the trails are great!

I was with a mate and we didn't get to ride everything planned because of a derailleur exploding in the first 2ks, then single speeding for the rest of the trip...

Most of the berms were still very slick with just a little moisture still in them, being packed clay. But definately a place I'm keen to get back to.

Overall it gave good value downs for the ups, if that makes sense.

robbieraver

Likes Dirt
Who is responsible for maintenance of the lake mountain trails? they are in serious need of love..
Im all for raw single track, its all i ride but the trails are way too over grown to ride at speed..

And ive heard talk of more track being buit to marysville, anyone with real info?

hilo

Likes Bikes
Assuming Buxton closed now--usually after Queen's birthday until September, yeah? (Luckily, went last week if this is so)