Buy a complete bike or build my own?

taitt

Likes Dirt
I'm a bit torn between buying a complete freeride rig or building my own. I can only really afford to purchase second hand gear at the moment, so do you guys have any ideas on which would be a better choice?

fatboardermicko

Likes Bikes
I'm a bit torn between buying a complete freeride rig or building my own. I can only really afford to purchase second hand gear at the moment, so do you guys have any ideas on which would be a better choice?
just check out the bikes for sale in the forums lots of good buys there cheaper than building

PSYCHO-T

Likes Dirt
As Ango said whats your budget?

Personly building your own is more fun/rewarding
but the waiting for parts to arrive is a drag, and makes you hard with anticipation

But on the otherhand if you see a build that close to what you were going to build perhaps snap it up and upgrade to the parts that you wanted when you can afford it?

taitt

Likes Dirt
$2-2500 tops.

Preferably less but if I see something I really want i'll probably fork out a little.

The main reason I ask is that i've found a downhill frame i'm keen on, yet not sure how much it'll cost me to put the rest together. My bike mechanics knowledge isn't that great, I mean I know how to fix and put it together, im just confused on the sizing of parts and what not. If I bought the frame and purchased another downhill bike a little cheaper just for the parts, would most of them transfer over relatively easy?

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
$2-2500 tops.

Preferably less but if I see something I really want i'll probably fork out a little.

The main reason I ask is that i've found a downhill frame i'm keen on, yet not sure how much it'll cost me to put the rest together. My bike mechanics knowledge isn't that great, I mean I know how to fix and put it together, im just confused on the sizing of parts and what not. If I bought the frame and purchased another downhill bike a little cheaper just for the parts, would most of them transfer over relatively easy?
things to be aware of:
  • headset size
  • seatpost size, both clamp and size.
  • rear hub spacing
  • BB spacing
  • brake line length
  • steerer tube height on your fork
  • gear lines
  • the dish of the rear wheel
  • fork- brake mount types, but this isn't much of an issue these days
  • If you're doing shock, hardware, spring rate will vary on the frame design etc.
  • some cases tyre clearance

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
If there is a particular frame you have found and you desperately want it is likely that it was available as a built up bike. Web search to find what components were used originally. If you are lucky you can get info that will let you know what the original fork was, seatpost size, BB size etc. Make a list of all the gear and its specifications, most suppliers (Shimano, SRAM, Fox etc) have archived details on their websites so you can download all the necessary information on the individual parts. It is also worthwhile searching the bike and checking our reviews that have been posted. That will give you an idea of what components you should upgrade.

I have to say thought that if you have limited bike mechanical ability/experience it is possible that you have few of the tools (including special tools) that you will need to put the bike together. For example cassette lock ring spanner, bottom bracket spanner, torx and then general tools so you will need to allow $100 or so to buy the tools.

You may be better off looking for a complete 2nd hand bike here or evilbay (don't buy anything you can't test ride and check first hand!!!!!) and then upgrading or replacing worn out parts as you go. A good set of DH forks will punch a big hole in your budget after you have spent $1k or so for a frame. Wheelsets will be another $400 at least and the remaining bits like brakes aren't cheap either if you go for quality and condition. The cost of a build on a frame will usually be more than the equivalent bits on a complete bike.

Dales

John U

MTB Precision
In the early naughties i found a Giant AC1 in the trading post almost complete in really good nick. $800, included, frame with shock, forks, wheels, bars, seat, seat post, headset. (Included the 3 most expensive bits, frame, fork and wheels.)
All I needed to source was
- Grips
- Brakes
- Cranks
- Pedals
- Derailleurs
- shifters
- chain.

I sourced bits from all over the place, took my time to get good gear at good prices, and generally got good deals. The bike complete ended up costing me about $2,200.

If you only have a frame at the moment you are going to need to source everything else separately which is either going to cost a fair bit, take a long time, or be shit gear (similar to the pick any 2 of the 3 principal). You could get lucky though, depends on the market at the time you are looking.

I would recommend buying a complete bike second hand. The more stuff you sorce from the one location/person the better the deal you should get.

taitt

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the input guys.

I've got a mate who's a bike mechanic who I haven't talked to yet, but at the moment I think I'll buy it complete. Sounds like it'll be cheaper to do that.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
going through the custom build does tend to suck up a little more money ... becuase you tend to make mistakes (eg, I ended up getting cheap pedals which I regret and have now lashed out for something way way more exccy ...)

that said, I've got it exactly the way I want it and would have just spent more money upgrading my "complete" rig any way.

The trick is to really plan ... get pictures, weights, all that other tech stuff above ... and take your time. I've really enjoyed my two builds and looking forward to more in the future.

(my advice ... get slightly longer cable lines then you think ... nothing as annoying as being a bees pee pee short of perfect).

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You can easily do a build for around $1500 (excluding frame and fork).
However if your not 100% sure of what you need or not knowledgable of what parts are suitable i wouldn’t recommend it be the first choice.

DH - racer

Likes Dirt
i susgest looking around and buy a complete...less time to build and more time to ride aswell....u can get a good DH with 2500+

taitt

Likes Dirt
That's my main draw for the building of the bike. I think it'd be more enjoyable to source the parts and get in and build it.

I'm not in huge need of a downhill bike, it's more so
that I want to have one for whenever I need it, so building a bike exactly how I want it is pretty appealing.

If I get this frame I think I'll give it a go.

Shredden

Knows his goats
I am currently making the same choice - buy a new complete commencal, or build a socom.

Just to give you an idea - keeping in mind that this is a fairly pimp build. The prices on here are excluding the frame, and in many instances are either second hand or "working in a bike shop" prices

Also, weights arnt necisserily accurate, just an estimation

Last edited:

taitt

Likes Dirt
I am currently making the same choice - buy a new complete commencal, or build a socom.

Just to give you an idea - keeping in mind that this is a fairly pimp build. The prices on here are excluding the frame, and in many instances are either second hand or "working in a bike shop" prices

Also, weights arnt necisserily accurate, just an estimation
Cheers man, that's a huge help.
In the same boat with the commencal.

Shredden

Knows his goats
Just worked it out, the things with SH are gonna be second hand, and the NEW ones will be ebay new, or "working in a bikeshop" new. There really isnt that much to buy second hand anyway.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Resurrecting this thread just because.

My mate is due a new bike this year, his first 29er, so little to no parts to be donated from his current Trek Remedy 9.8.

I’m dead keen to build something bespoke & boutique for him, trying to get him to start stockpiling parts now (like those crazy cheap Pike RCT3s from Pushys) but you know...with mail-order complete bikes like the YT Jeffsy & Canyon Spectral it’s getting harder to convince someone to build your own.

Personally, the whole build process is incredibly enjoyable, choosing & matching parts based on personal preference & even solely based on what is available on the RB used market

But with something like a YT coming with all the trick bits & hardly any in-house parts, the customised approach is becoming blurred.

But thanks Zaf for your spreadsheet. I still hope to use it

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Yeah, I’d be throwing him on a yt, canyon or commencal and calling it job done.

Custom builds are great and all but not worth it, much rather do the slow burn replacing things when they break with nicer parts.
Unless you have a frame in mind you can’t get otherwise, and are chasing a certain build (burly short travel steel hardtail?).