Buying a diesel 4X4

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Hey guys, looking into buying an 80 series, diesel, but never dealt with diesel cars before and don't have too much knowledge on the inner workings of a 4wd. Any tips on things to look for, what to avoid etc. etc.? I'm set on an 80 series so any first hand knowledge would be awesome. Went out in a nicely set up 80 the other day and really liked it, gotta get into off roading again, haven't since I was real young.

Cheers.

stoo

Likes Dirt
80s are a good jigger. A 1HZ could do a million km, you just don't want to be in a hurry.....
The later model turbo jobs ( 1HDT??) still go for top dollar.
Do it.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Factory turbo would blow through my budget. Turbo pun. But, there's a factory turbo in amazing cond. in WA at the moment for 7K, if I could get a check done on it I'd fly over and do a trans straya trip to grab it.

Not too worried about mileage, basic top end rebuild can't be too expensive, touch wood. Not in a rush in a 4x4, driving our patrol is nice just cruising but it's gas and the tank is hanging slightly higher than the diff, don't like that.

stoo

Likes Dirt
I drive a couple of land cruisers, one was bought new and is 1HDFTE powered and one is 31 years old and 3B powered, unless I need to tow something heavy or fit more peeps in I always choose the old shitter, I love it!

moorey

call me Mia
I drive a couple of land cruisers, one was bought new and is 1HDFTE powered and one is 31 years old and 3B powered, unless I need to tow something heavy or fit more peeps in I always choose the old shitter, I love it!
Damn hipsters...

stirk

Burner
What!!!

Pics please, of the old shitter of course.

My first 4x4 was a bj40 shorty.

I still miss it.

I run about in a 1St gen 4runner now.

Slow smelly gasy trucks but go anywhere, no nonsense.

stirk

Burner
Damn hipsters...
I 'dualliaue' you to a hipster movember hipster stash off.

And many other burners too.

For a good cause, many of us support. Depression.

I mentioned this movember in a thread a while back so will now make it happen.

Burners grow a mow in November for Movember.

I'll post a team tomorrow.

Ideas for team name open.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
80s are good beasties. Factory turbo engine is good and after market turbos on the naturally aspirated engines are good too. Like all solid front 4wds drop the front bearings out after mud use to clean out the knuckles. Otherwise as bullet proof as they come.

bigstretchy

Cannon Fodder
I believe the factory turbo 1HZ had big end bearing issues when new and were recalled for a fix. They are meant to be a good job as long as boost and tune is kept standard. Same goes for the aftermarket turbo on N/A models.

I can personally recommend the nissan 4.2 diesel in any variety if your after an over engineered dinosaur that will get you nowhere in a hurry.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Just please do the rest of us a favour and keep the rinsg/valve guides in good nick, and the injectors clean. Nothing is quite as toxic and vomit inducing as being stuck behind an old diesel 4wd thats burning oil... :tsk:

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Three mates are getting me into this, one is top 5 in QLD 4x4 comps at the moment and lives around the corner, so servicing and maintenance are no worries, I have people who know their stuff, two are driving 80s. Old man has always wanted to do uluru, car for sale on other side of country, pretty tempting to go for it with him and experience Aus.

Movember's a tricky one for me Stirk, I do something to support depression and not being able to grow one just makes me sad.. Only team name I can think of is MOtorburn but doesn't have enough of the Off Topic sass to it.

bennyp1

Likes Dirt
The best thing about 80s is the aftermarket support. Nearly anything you could dream of needing for one is already available. Engine and drivetrain wise they are supposed to be really reliable.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Back in 1991, my parents threw their spare readies into a brand new diesel 80 series in the poverty pack trim with vinyl everything and AM only radio...we traded the rusted and mechanically rooted remnants of a MQ Patrol wagon for it.

They proceeded to travel pretty much everywhere in it while also bashing it about on the property as a farm hack....was a great vehicle, took everything we did to it and shrugged it off. Was eventually moved on in the early noughties and no-one was too sad to see it go as it was getting long in tooth and needed a fair bit of fettling mechanically and suspension wise to be back to its best.

Your biggest trouble will be finding one that hasn't been molested half to death by one or more enthusiastic but well meaning numpties.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
Considering factory turbo 80s go for easily 20k +, I'd be weary of one going 7k, in WA. Otherwise, echoing the sentiment here, theyre about as good as it gets if you want a reliable truck. Keep your oils fresh, and they'll go forever. We just got rid of a beautiful na 80, 380ks on the clock, and it drove like new (slow as fuck, but steady as a Swiss clock).

nitro01

Likes Dirt
The 1HZ is probably the pick of the bunch as it will last forever and a day and give you no problems. A 1HD-T will slot in easily also if you are after more power....
Definitely look at the Full Time 4x4 model as it got an upgraded transfer case over the previous versions, but on the test drive make sure it slots into High Locked 4x4 & Low Range 4x4 easily with no grinding. Also, if possible & looking at a manual, go to a place where you can get into 5th gear and stab the throttle a few times, if it jumps out of gear, hand the keys back and run a mile.
I'm a big 4x4 person so PM me if you've got any questions :)

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Not completely sure on all the engine codes, but it's gotta be diesel and manual. Turbo would be nice but from what I've seen I'd be better off just saving and putting on a turbo down the line. Also, run me through the difference between GXL and non GXL if anyone knows?

nitro01

Likes Dirt
Toyota Landcrusiers usually come in 3 levels;
GX - base model
GXL- mid level, air conditioning, decent radio, slightly uplevel interior
Sahara-luxury model

stoo

Likes Dirt
What!!!

Pics please, of the old shitter of course.

My first 4x4 was a bj40 shorty.

I still miss it.
I get comments on mine a lot, 'usually goes like " I used to have a shorty 40, wish I never sold it "

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Like any diesel engine, keep up the good oil.
Injectors will cost a bomb if already stuffed,
And if it's not turbo'ed, leave it be, will cost you more in the long run to get right.