Buying a dog, Lab vs Staffy?

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Attn dog owners/lovers, please advise me!

I'm biting the bullet and getting a dog. I've had dogs all my life apart from the last 5 years, always working dogs however. This will be my first family "pet" dog. I want something mid sized, that wont tear my kids face off. I've narrowed it down to a Staffy or a Lab (not really "mid" sized, I know). Would like it to be a good trail dog too.

The main attraction of the Lab is that they are pretty much guaranteed to be gentle with kids, also, I don't think anyone would disagree that Labs are infinitely superior re intellect compared to the Staffy.

However the things that put me off them are - they're a bit big (mostly a problem when traveling in vehicle) and they do massive shits. Also, seem very prone to lots of health issues. AND generally a lot more expensive to purchase. Oh, and they don't seem like they'd be good trail dogs for some reason? Just me?

Staffys tick a lot of boxes for me personally. Super loyal, easy to please, robust/tough, good looking, good sized etc etc. Things I worry about are - will it eat my kids and are they a bit dumb? A bit of reading suggests they are great with kids.

Yes, I know everyone says Staffys are retarded, but in my experience it seems more that dumb people buy Staffys, as opposed to the breed being inherently stupid? I've met some spastic ones, but also some awesome ones, just never owned one myself to judge.

Other details -

3 kids, 5,3 and 6 months. Wife too.
Dog will very very rarely be left alone, always someone home or it will come with us.
Will be walked every day with me. Rides too. Camping, beach etc.
Block is suburban 800 squares with excellent fencing, no probs there.

Very last thing - what do you think about inside dogs? My dogs have always been working dogs and never ever allowed in the house.

John U

MTB Precision
You've removed a lot of other potentially good options by narrowing it down so much Any good reason for excluding all other mid sized dogs?

As far as inside dogs, our dogs were always allowed inside as long as they were clean enough. They never jumped on the furniture though, and sat on the floor in the car. If the dog got a bit mingin from rolling in something it would get a wash before being allowed inside again.

MasterOfReality

After forever
I had a border collie that was an inside dog. Strange I know but he was happy to park himself in the rumpus room all day and sleep. Of course he got kicked outside for half the day.

I never liked staffies due to the bogan element that goes with them but on Xmas I met my cousins staffy and it was one of the nicest dogs I have ever encountered and has totally changed my mind. Still ugly as fuck in my mind but now I know why people rave about these dogs - the temperament and manners this thing had was incredible.

The Lab reminds me of a dog that was the wife's choice.

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You've removed a lot of other potentially good options by narrowing it down so much Any good reason for excluding all other mid sized dogs?

As far as inside dogs, our dogs were always allowed inside as long as they were clean enough. They never jumped on the furniture though, and sat on the floor in the car. If the dog got a bit mingin from rolling in something it would get a wash before being allowed inside again.
Hi John, yes I know, but where do you stop? I like beagles (too expensive, long waiting lists), friends of ours have a cocker spaniel which is an awesome dog but just seems a bit prissy? Shitty logic on my part I guess. English bulldogs are very cool, but again expensive, lots of health probs.

I've had kelpies, blue and red cattle dogs, collies, so don't want another working dog. Also, I don't want anything I have to shave in summer or brush too much.

Pretty much want a dog that's like a 160mm trail bike. Ridden hard, put away wet, loves every minute. It's not that I won't care for it; just needs to be as low maintenance as practically possible.

Happy to take other suggestions. Not spending more than $600 bucks, absolute max, on the dog itself. Don't care one bit about papers etc.

Gripo

Eats Squid
I'd go a Lab...don't over feed it, keep it fit with riding.

Downside could be hair all over the car though.....Stafs are similar nature wise but to me they have that "dog" smell all the time....

Either them or a red Kelpie....

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I never liked staffies due to the bogan element that goes with them but on Xmas I met my cousins staffy and it was one of the nicest dogs I have ever encountered and has totally changed my mind. Still ugly as fuck in my mind but now I know why people rave about these dogs - the temperament and manners this thing had was incredible.

The Lab reminds me of a dog that was the wife's choice.
That's my biggest worry too. Fucking bogans dressing them in studded collars and carrying on like they're pit bulls. Re looks, it's a love it or hate it thing, I think. A healthy nuggety Staffy with that big stupid grin they have, really makes me smile.

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
Two very different dogs so I guess it depends what you want in a dog.

We have a pure english staffy, an actual pure one and not those massive bull terriers most people own and call a "staffy".

His name is Diesel and he is my best mate.

Staffies are very loyal and affectionate dogs. They show affection through licking.... a LOT of licking. Any bare patch of skin is at risk of being licked for hours on end.

They are definitely a breed that is "more brawn than brains", as they do seem to lack a bit of the self preservation traits you would hope for in an animal. For example, chasing the bird is a higher priority than not running on the road even though our boy is trained to sit and wait before crossing.

Staffies are also a very needy dog. I would never get a staffy by itself as they have fairly serious separation anxiety generally. We have a border collie cross as a second dog and they keep each other company when there is no one home. They also keep each other fit as the collie has an endless supply of energy and the staffy "recharges" quickly.

However, as a breed, staffies are equally happy running and working as they are sleeping and doing nothing. When my wife is on night shift, Diesl is more than capable of sleeping with me all night and then sleeping with the wife all day.

Finally, staffies are the friendliest breed I have ever known. This is a double edged sword however.

The positive being that you can let them run around and say g'day to every one and everything in the park. The bad thing is that a staffy WILL go and say hello to everyone and everything in the park. This makes walks VERY long. :)

I can't speak for other dogs, but our Diesel is quite gentle when he is around kids in the park. He only goes a bit mental when new people come over to our place as then he thinks everyone is there to play with him.

There is a very serious down side to how friendly staffies are, they will be more than happy to go and follow anyone who entices them. As a breed they are quite prone to dog napping, I kid you not, this is a serious thing. Which means that generally you do need to keep an eye on them and also ensure your yard is both dog proof to prevent the staffy getting out but also people proof to prevent people coming in.

In terms of Labs, I have never owned one I know a few people that do. They are definitely "old souls", very calm and thoughtful when compared to a staffy and definately don't quite have the same energy levels.

Also I don't think they are known to have anxiety issues if you are going to be leaving them alone for the day.

Hope that helps a bit. :)

PS: Finally thought and one more point in the "Staffies are awesome" column; Frogging.

Enough said really. :)

Last edited:

MasterOfReality

After forever
Separation anxiety - forgot about that.

The neighbour had a staffy that would bitch, moan and howl from 7am to 5pm every day when the owner was at work.

I thought he was going to die of depression!

Almost got to the point where I offered to look after it if I was home during the day but he moved out after his wife did a runner.

John U

MTB Precision
Pretty much want a dog that's like a 160mm trail bike. Ridden hard, put away wet, loves every minute. It's not that I won't care for it; just needs to be as low maintenance as practically possible.
Not a mid size dog but my sister had a Jack Russel which was exactly as you describe above. I was an awesome dog, just a ball of muscle. It just ran and ran. Was always up for a game and very smart. I used to think they were nippy little shits but after this dog, if I was to get a dog now I would seriously consider one. She also had her 2 kids after she got the dog. They never had any issues with the dog and the kids. He lived to about 13.

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not a mid size dog but my sister had a Jack Russel which was exactly as you describe above. I was an awesome dog, just a ball of muscle. It just ran and ran. Was always up for a game and very smart. I used to think they were nippy little shits but after this dog, if I was to get a dog now I would seriously consider one. She also had her 2 kids after she got the dog. They never had any issues with the dog and the kids. He lived to about 13.
Funny you should say that, we are dog-sitting the in-laws Jack Russell right now, and she is a great dog. Awesome with the kids surprisingly.

guitar1234

Likes Dirt
My Parents recently got a Chocolate Lab Puppy (he is currently 13 weeks old), and its absolutely nuts. They've always had boxers and were interested in a puppy, but health problems are rampant in them (we have had 4 boxers in a period of 17 years, two being euthanized due to cancer, and the other euthanized after collapsing due to cardio myopathy, the other is still alive) and were offered the puppy by a breeder they're good friends with, after 5 minutes with the puppy Mum was convinced it had to come home with us.

He's full of energy, but of course being a labrador is still lazy and likes to sleep. He also has a fascination to chew or eat anything possible. But this has been by far the most time consuming dog to train, its like another child essentially.

1425637_272389376242347_54576173_n.jpg

Last edited:

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My Parents recently got a Chocolate Lab Puppy (he is currently 13 weeks old), and its absolutely nuts. They've always had boxers and we're interested in a puppy, but health problems are rampant in them (we have had 4 boxers in a period of 17 years, two being euthanized due to cancer, and the other euthanized after collapsing due to cardio myopathy, the other is still alive) and were offered the puppy by a breeder they're good friends with, after 5 minutes with the puppy Mum was convinced it had to come home with us.

He's full of energy, but of course being a labrador is still lazy and likes to sleep. He also has a fascination to chew or eat anything possible. But this has been by far the most time consuming dog to train, its like another child essentially.

View attachment 280772
Great looking dog! We have been put onto a friend of a friend who has lab x golden retriever pups. Going for a look tomorrow.

al_

Likes Dirt
Great looking dog! We have been put onto a friend of a friend who has lab x golden retriever pups. Going for a look tomorrow.
It is worth being extremely careful with the breeding of labs/retrievers. They are prone to a few genetic issues, including a particular susceptibility to extremely debilitating hip problems. Do a bit of research - there is loads of info out there.

driftking

Wheel size expert
My cousins have owned a few staffys all good dogs very energetic.
I think the biggest thing is both dogs can be trained to be gental ie.not jumping up etc.
The staffys iv been around tend to get a bit not agressive but when they are happy they get too excited and like to jump again though probably a training thing.

As for aggressiveness one of the dogs is an American Staffy which are a big bread and even though his massive and very strong and gets a bit too forceful when happy he is trained and a absolute wuss haha.

I know this post doesn't help much but staffys in my experience have been great and most importantly each dog has its own personality as is and both can be trained.

Also consider exercise I can't comment on the two dogs but one might require more time than you can give it? Sounds like your pretty active though.

From what I know the staffys are good with kids at least so far babies. One is very calm and relaxed the other one wants to always see the baby like its super protective haha.

Dogs inside I think its hard not to once you have a dog they become family. I have no problem with it as long as your looking after the pup they won't smell so much. I'd think staffys would shed much less hair. I have to admit I'm not a fan of smelling like dog or been covered in hair haha. I'm not into having dogs on lounges and beds though. Ill get them thier own bed inside.

Last edited:

oriion

Likes Dirt
From your choices listed - I'd go with the Lab.

Staffies are awesome, but I'd be more inclined to trust a lab with kids more than a staffy - inherited behavior is just that. having said that I have never really known bad dogs, only bad owners that don't do the right thing by the dogs.

You certainly tick all the boxes for being a great dog owner - it's a long commitment and you should give it serious consideration.

Huge shits should not be your basis for not getting a Labrador either, otherwise you wouldn't have 3 kids :)

Inside dogs are fine if you give them rules, both my borders are working dogs, and have a mat inside next to the fire, they move or stray from it, they are out - good weather or shit weather - they soon learn :0

good luck in your search, keep us updated would love to know what you decide on.

indica

Serial flasher
Go to a shelter with your kids and rescue some poor sod who is about to be put down.
We did and Pogo goes on MTB rides and is my 9 year old sons best mate.

Save a life.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Jeez. More research and start with wider needs.

I just had a friend have to get rid of a 1 yr old little bulldog because he was just too affectionate and knocked his kid over all the time.

With your kids, small child appropriate dogs should be on the list, and get your wife to help choose. Any dog will be great for you, not any dog will be great with kids around.

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Go to a shelter with your kids and rescue some poor sod who is about to be put down.
We did and Pogo goes on MTB rides and is my 9 year old sons best mate.

Save a life.
This is a strong possibility too. One of my riding mates volunteers at the shelter and can give me the inside scoop on good dogs, problem is it's hard to get young ones. Don't really want a mature dog. I do watch the shelter website like a hawk tho.

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Jeez. More research and start with wider needs.

I just had a friend have to get rid of a 1 yr old little bulldog because he was just too affectionate and knocked his kid over all the time.

With your kids, small child appropriate dogs should be on the list, and get your wife to help choose. Any dog will be great for you, not any dog will be great with kids around.
That's training, nothing else. 1 year old is still a pup, so it should be expected to a degree. Small "child friendly" breeds might not be big enough to knock a kid over, but have their own puppy issues, like razor sharp teeth and mouthing everything in site. I understand my kids might get the short end occasionally while we are all learning/training, but that's my responsibility as a parent, not something I can blame a puppy for.

Wife has chosen, she wants a staffy as that's what she was raised with.