buying a used bike in whistler

mtb180

Squid
hey guys I'm headed over to Canada for a four week riding holiday doing DH and freeride in early July. just trying to find a used bike around the 2-3k mark where I can hopefully line up a bike to get riding as soon as possible so I have two questions and any advice would be much appreciated!
1) what are some sites/forums other than pinkbike.com are there that I can use.
and
2)is there some sort of used bike shop or ex demo shops in whistler/Vancouver?

thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joel_32

Likes Dirt
In Whistler there will be various shops with specials, as well as people selling used bikes throughout the place as quite common to see bikes with 'for sale' signs chained up outside places like the Longhorn Saloon. Only catch to buying a bike in Whistler, is that its probably been beaten to death in the bike park...

In Vancouver you can check some of the main bike shops, often they might have a few of last years models still on sale (we picked up a heavily discounted Specialized Pitch from Dizzy Cycles on 4th Ave one year, though just noticed they closed last year). Canadians love Craigslist, also check out the NSMB forums though from memory there wasnt a huge amount of traffic through there. I'm guessing they probably have FB buy sell pages as well that you can review.
Back in the day I bought my first Rocky Mountain dual suspension bike from North Shore Sports Swap, which operates as a consignment store and sells peoples second hand stuff for them based on commission. There stock was hit and miss but pretty happy with the deal I ended up getting back on '05.: http://www.nssportsswap.ca/en/

mtb180

Squid
oh rad thanks for the info! I didn't even think of Facebook pages! I'll have a scout now thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

effarr

Likes Dirt
I would be tentative about putting a deposit down without seeing a bike first hand. Wait til you get there.

Pinkbike is a good resource (moreso than Craigslist) - as is the Facebook group Whistler Mountain Bike Buy/Sell/Swap. You will find something pretty easily. Yeah Whistler local park bikes can get thrashed, but you'll be able to tell when you look at an given bike if it's had a hard time. WB and the shops do sell ex-rentals but it's not the right time... good luck!

Leon