Buying a used car

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Yeah that Ranger / BT-50 oil pump design was just fucking criminal.
That is an odd one... Like old Holden sixes after a rebuilt, packing the pump with grease and watching the oil light on first start... shit design. At least they didn’t un prime during oil changes though!!!!

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
I like John's YT channel. He's a crack-up sometimes....and one of the only straight talkers in a world full of PR & marketing.

But I think he has to be extra harsh and critical to stay relevant. He only likes 2 cars at any one time.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I like John's YT channel. He's a crack-up sometimes....and one of the only straight talkers in a world full of PR & marketing.

But I think he has to be extra harsh and critical to stay relevant. He only likes 2 cars at any one time.
He says some useful stuff, but the redneck shtick is pretty pathetic.... And he gets stuff wrong not infrequently.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Impreza id rate the least interesting... Old car now.

i30 better. New focus is meant to be good. Mazda 3 are worthy and not terrible to drive.

nathanm

Eats Squid

i30 better. New focus is meant to be good. Mazda 3 are worthy and not terrible to drive.
i wouldn't buy mazda based purely on this - https://www.accc.gov.au/media-relea...nduct-and-false-or-misleading-representations

I'm part of a Mazda 3 Facebook page and they are reporting a plethora of issues, from infotainment through to the collision centres failing when dirty or wet, or worse yet when a bug hits them they think a car is too close and jam the brakes on, often when people are travelling on highways or going through intersections and causing accidents.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I requested an i30 test drive now, will see how it compares.

Without driving it yet, its the most appealing to me in terms of cabin layout, driving position and it looks good. AWD and EyeSight also appeal.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Not convinced AWD is really all that desirable unless youre on dirt or wet roads a lot. Dents fuel efficiency. But subaru have turned it into a good marketing tool at least.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
i wouldn't buy mazda based purely on this - https://www.accc.gov.au/media-relea...nduct-and-false-or-misleading-representations

I'm part of a Mazda 3 Facebook page and they are reporting a plethora of issues, from infotainment through to the collision centres failing when dirty or wet, or worse yet when a bug hits them they think a car is too close and jam the brakes on, often when people are travelling on highways or going through intersections and causing accidents.
Yeah right... My experience is from older models.

Should get yourself a nice reliable Renault :)

Haakon

Keeps on digging

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Not convinced AWD is really all that desirable unless youre on dirt or wet roads a lot. Dents fuel efficiency. But subaru have turned it into a good marketing tool at least.
I want to be prepared for that one day we get snow and it settles and I feel like going for a drive. I used to love my first car - '91 L Wagon, hence my thing for Subarus AWD and probably a little tribalism.

Not as bad as you and your Renaults though! They do look cool, but I'm not going out of my way to get one, and they've dropped the Megane off the Aus market now (except the performance models)....

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I've only owned about 15 Renaults.... Its not like I have a thing for them or anything! I owned a couple of Peugeots and a Citroen once...

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I have found that the few Mazdas I have driven and been in have higher levels of nvh than the competition. When I had the semis on the Mazda 2 it was crazy loud between 60 and 80. Luckily no need to travel at those speeds in a town car. Same tyres on another car were much quieter.

The stop / start is harsh on the Mazda compared to my car and the aircon doesn't work in the Mazdas when the engine is asleep. :(

However the Mazda 2 is a fantastic value for money proposition for a city runabout.

About the only issues I have seen with i30s have been loss of electric windows (pulley and wire mechanism fails, cheap and easy to replace) and another had intermittent central locking trouble and again a cheap replacement of the door switch fixed that. Look at the equivalent Kia too, same same and cheaper though I think the interioir can be lower rent. Son's mate bought a something GT (not stinger) and it was a pleasant thing.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I have found that the few Mazdas I have driven and been in have higher levels of nvh than the competition. When I had the semis on the Mazda 2 it was crazy loud between 60 and 80. Luckily no need to travel at those speeds in a town car. Same tyres on another car were much quieter.

The stop / start is harsh on the Mazda compared to my car and the aircon doesn't work in the Mazdas when the engine is asleep. :(

However the Mazda 2 is a fantastic value for money proposition for a city runabout.

About the only issues I have seen with i30s have been loss of electric windows (pulley and wire mechanism fails, cheap and easy to replace) and another had intermittent central locking trouble and again a cheap replacement of the door switch fixed that. Look at the equivalent Kia too, same same and cheaper though I think the interioir can be lower rent. Son's mate bought a something GT (not stinger) and it was a pleasant thing.
The early series 1 Mazda 3 I bought for FIL was crazy loud on coarse bitumen with cheap tyres on it. Better with proper Michelin’s but Mazda have been famous for NVH issues forever. Fraud Focus twin probably better is suspect.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
The early series 1 Mazda 3 I bought for FIL was crazy loud on coarse bitumen with cheap tyres on it. Better with proper Michelin’s but Mazda have been famous for NVH issues forever. Fraud Focus twin probably better is suspect.
True, road noise is one of the Mazda's weak points. The Michelin PS4's are notably quieter than the Toyo Proxes T1 that it had on my BL Series 1 earlier. I think the yeeharr version can be forgiven in being a bit louder overall and I kind of like the mechanical music when it gets all frantic.

I have thought about some sound deadener goop under the wheel arches or some funkier insulation then promptly forgot about it.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Five years and all the petrol cars will start becoming worthless. I predict the last full petrol BMW M3 will be worth less than a new base model BEV Hyundai a few years later. Hyundai have partnered with Canoo on a skateboard electric car chassis. They are moving fast and i think will be the main challenger to Tesla. All the others are still dabbling.