Buying a used car

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Yeah - I want this to be the last petrol car I buy, thinking 5 year timeframe as well.
With the exception of a big tradie van for some vanlife travelling, the Alfa is to replaced with a Model 3 in a few years. Its a good last fling with ICE - rorty exhaust note and old school revvy fun :)

Scotty T

Walks the walk
People who seriously want to get into electric can get good Nissan Leafs with low km and still with 90km range for older ones at about $13k, newer imports with the bigger battery for $25k. It was on my list if they wrote my car off. 90% of needs would be met. Mates have ICE cars they'd swap when we had to take a long trip. Yes the batteries degrade in Aus conditions faster than cooled ones but 8-9 years later the well looked after ones have lost 30% and still meet most urban needs. With my solar it's $4k per 5 years saved in perrol on this car because lower range would mean more grid charging at night during the week. As petrol gets more expensive and i get a battery at home, the replacement car battery cost is absorbed.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar

Haakon

Keeps on digging
So car insurance has gone through the fucking roof... Nearly double to insure the identical replacement Alfa.

Allianz wanted to penalise me premium wise for a no fault hail claim so they’re out. GIO seem to claim lifetime new for old and they’re cheaper now anyway. I’m sure there’s a catch...

Haakon

Keeps on digging
You have to buy it new or demo and stay with GIO. Can’t buy a used car and get it.

dunno, maybe it’s the lack of bargaining that gets you later and keeping you on their books. Heard of at least one 5 year old Jeep getting replaced with w brand new one.

But it’s cheaper than alliance and only a bit dearer than Bingle which won’t let you choose repairers (which is a big thing with an Alfa...)

Scotty T

Walks the walk
A 2016 M3 can be had for ten grand more than a new Hyundai EV. The gap is smaller than I thought and supports my original speculation. If Hyundai made a performance version, you'd be close or beyond parity.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
My take, anyone spending the price of a Tesla on a similar car is just silly not getting a Tesla. Why don't people want a better car that burns less money? Model 3 Performance is as quick 0-100 as GT3RS and heaps cheaper. It's a no brainer, the sound of petrol burning gives me no pleasure since I drove my first electric car years ago now. I get it makes some peeps excited but there isn't a road going petrol car that accelerates as fast as a Rimac. Petrol is well on the way out.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
If I had a reason to get a second car, this would be high on my list:

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2003-audi-a2-manual/SSE-AD-6482229/?Cr=0

Super rare, all alloy construction, around 800kg.

Nothing like this gets built any more.
Wow, that’s super cool!!!!! Had no idea any were in Australia! That was the car that was developed I think with a hydrogen fuel cell in mind that never happened.
Was famous at the time for not having a bonnet catch - had to unbolt the bonnet.

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
Where does an Australian go to charge their Tesla? Genuine question. I get around a bit, but haven't noticed any charging stations.